The Best Shaw Film You've Seen Recently Is...

HAZ

I just watched Secret Service of the Imperial Court last night and wow. I don't know what I was expecting considering I've seen so many Shaws at this point, but I thought this was a very impressive film. It had style, an interesting story, great acting and some really nice scenes.I was also happy to see Lo Lieh and Lo Mang appearances. Just when I think I've seen all of the best ones, something like this comes around. Very entertaining film.

I also really enjoyed this film when I watched it and wasn't what I was expecting either, being a swordplay movie rather than kung fu.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Eastern Evil
I completely agree, SSoIC is a magnificent film.

I haven't had much time for watching films recently, but one of the last was Twin Blades of Doom, which I highly recommend. Ling Yun should have been used as a lead man more often, had bags of screen presence in this, and the Chu Yuan films I've seen him in.

Ling Yun in Death Duel is my favorite Shaw role of any and all.

Yen Shi-san. What an amazing character, done so fine by him.

You're not alone Master Betty. Some of these guys are super tech-savvy! :ooh:

I'm not exactly the greatest, computer-wise. I just wish there was a larger selection ov DVD's (SB etc.) here in he U.K.

Ling Yun in Death Duel is my favorite Shaw role of any and all.

Yen Shi-san. What an amazing character, done so fine by him.

I own Death Dual on DVD, but haven't had the chance to watch it yet.

So many films I've been meaning to watch, just can't seem to find time to watch them all!

^^Death DuEl

Boxer's Omen certainly is amazing because of it's weirdness and and craziness, it's completely different from U.S. horror of 1980 which was the slasher trend like Friday the 13th and Halloween.

Eastern Evil
I own Death Dual on DVD, but haven't had the chance to watch it yet.

So many films I've been meaning to watch, just can't seem to find time to watch them all!

I think you should watch it right away.

I promise you will be happy with it.

I'm not exactly the greatest, computer-wise. I just wish there was a larger selection ov DVD's (SB etc.) here in he U.K.

Don't we all! That's why you just have to go multi-region. Multi-region DVD players can be easily and cheaply obtained and there's so many choices worldwide, that aren't available over here in the UK. I don't think they'll ever be the same availability of choice on Blu-ray to be honest.

Don't we all! That's why you just have to go multi-region. Multi-region DVD players can be easily and cheaply obtained and there's so many choices worldwide, that aren't available over here in the UK. I don't think they'll ever be the same availability of choice on Blu-ray to be honest.

Cool, I'll check them out when I get paid.

I think you should watch it right away.

I promise you will be happy with it.

Okay, I'll watch it today. I'll tell you what I think of it :)

Drunken Monk

Just watched "The Tigress of Shaolin" and...erm...what the hell? Easily one of the craziest Shaws I've seen.

Sadly, I wasn't a huge fan. I think the fights are average at best and there's simply way too much comedy throughout. And I'm a man that likes his kung fu comedy.

I still have "The Kung Fu Instructor" to watch so hopefully that'll be a little better.

• Administrator
Just watched "The Tigress of Shaolin" and...erm...what the hell? Easily one of the craziest Shaws I've seen.

Sadly, I wasn't a huge fan. I think the fights are average at best and there's simply way too much comedy throughout. And I'm a man that likes his kung fu comedy.

I still have "The Kung Fu Instructor" to watch so hopefully that'll be a little better.

KFI is awesome!

And yes, TOS is a right pile.... you called it.

I'm with you guys. I was extremely disappointed with TIGRESS FROM SHAOLIN. To me, this film wasted the time and talents of people that could've been making a much better film instead.

KUNG FU INSTRUCTOR kicks major ass! Great movie.

I watched The Heroic Ones and The Water Margin today... two very epic movie with lots of swordplay and great sets.

They're just too long (2hours each) and not really my cup of tea.

Big Bad Sis and Taxi Driver...neither are recommended for people looking for great fights, to tell truth both mediocre drama. However I like these kind Shaw products and spoiler both have violence in the end.

Chiang is good in TD which I like little more of these...BBS has Chen Kuan Tai in supporting role and even as directed by Sun Chung it´s not so great. But worth picking if comes across by fair price.

Just finished watching The 14 Amazons, I didn't have high hope for this one since it's a 1972 wuxia but I was blown away! excellent movie with awesome visual, this movie on blu ray would be epic.

the part with the human ladder was just incredible....!

Just finished watching The 14 Amazons, I didn't have high hope for this one since it's a 1972 wuxia but I was blown away! excellent movie with awesome visual, this movie on blu ray would be epic.

Totally agree with ya. Classic.

RogueWarrior

There actually is a Blu Ray release of this.

yeah a polish version.

the french double-layer dvd I have has a pretty good picture quality to be honest, I believe it is similar to the funimation version.

RogueWarrior
yeah a polish version.

the french double-layer dvd I have has a pretty good picture quality to be honest, I believe it is similar to the funimation version.

sadly the Funimation version suffers from a nasty stutter from the PAL to NTSC conversion.

Ten Tigers of Kwangtung – thanks to Kingofkungfu2002 for the opportunity to see this film.:smile: Sadly this story felt muddled, which even though I was expecting having read about it on the forum it was still disappointing. Despite having the venoms co-starring the fights felt lacking to me, but I did still have its moments. Not sure I will watch this again.

Imperial swordsman was quite nice...storyline was usual stuff ,4 giants were decent villains and movie was bit bloodier than many other wu xias I think.

Its still available from dddhouse:wink:

wongfeihung62

LEGEND OF THE 7 GOLDEN VAMPIRES - Although really a Shaw's/Hammer co-production. I know the fight scenes are somewhat dated, but overall I really enjoy this movie, especially the uncut version.

LEGEND OF THE 7 GOLDEN VAMPIRES - Although really a Shaw's/Hammer co-production. I know the fight scenes are somewhat dated, but overall I really enjoy this movie, especially the uncut version.

I have not seen that "uncut" but I did not like version I saw.

Not totally bad tho, shaw stars were OK.

UK side was not so good.

Shih Szu almost as wasted here as in Shaolin temple

Ten Tigers of Kwangtung – thanks to Kingofkungfu2002 for the opportunity to see this film.:smile: Sadly this story felt muddled, which even though I was expecting having read about it on the forum it was still disappointing. Despite having the venoms co-starring the fights felt lacking to me, but I did still have its moments. Not sure I will watch this again.

It`s a mess but quite entertaining one. Too many good guys particularly in the 1st "part" of movie. I have watched it maybe half dozen times and even as not rate it in top 10 or maybe even in 20, it does have it`s charm, in strange way.

Great finale:nerd:

It`s a mess but quite entertaining one. Too many good guys particularly in the 1st "part" of movie. I have watched it maybe half dozen times and even as not rate it in top 10 or maybe even in 20, it does have it`s charm, in strange way.

Great finale:nerd:

yes too many good guys leading to a lack a focus, time deserving to a lead.

I want to know where one of the bad guys went during the finale, he seemed disappear for a couple of mins:neutral:

Archived