The Best Shaw Film You've Seen Recently Is...

HAZ

massa_yoda

Moving right along here, I just finished watching Lady is the Boss.

Instant classic. Gymnasium final fight was breathtaking. Story was decent enough. Though I wasn't sure about them using a traffic accident (with fatalities) to promote their school, I did like seeing them outside the premiere of Shaolin Prince! Way to use a kung fu movie in a kung fu movie.

Loved how Kara Hui's character made learning kung fu enjoyable to all the students. Her character in general was great. Camera-fu, bike-fu, gym-fu. Yes please.

And because it is also a shaw presentation, I'll add Drunken Monkey here as well.

The general consensus here is that this is just an okay film with good fu and bad comedy that brings it down. I have to agree with the masses, though there were only a couple scenes that were really bad, those being the first couple with the mom character (or whatever she was with all the family tree confusion). That was just...painful. But other then that, the comedy wasn't too bad. The fighting was good, but not great. Definitely not Lady is Boss stuff...

The movie ended with a final shot of LKL doing one last stance for the audience as the camera fades out. Almost brings you to tears now...

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I watched Bastard Swordsman and Return of the Bastard Swordsman this weekend, pretty good and crazy stuff, I like it.

Disciples of Shaolin

Alexander Fu Sheng is fantastic in this one. But other than his strong character, not much else is very memorable. In fact, I had to strain the next day to remember what I had just watched, which is weird. I didn't have this problem with Life Gamble or others I've watched recently. The story isn't what I was expecting, though it isn't bad at all. It has all the makings of an epic rise and fall story. I guess the "fall" didn't really grab me as much as the rise did. Again, it's very strange that I almost completely forgot about this movie the next day. Especially since I feel Fu Sheng has never been better. There was just something missing I guess to really make it stand out for me. I do remember it could have been tighter. Some scenes tended to go on and on. Also, a curious amount of scenes of people talking outside of your ability to hear. As in the background noise takes over so you just see people saying things to each other, but can't hear them. I thought they would go back to these conversations to fill in some details. Did they? I must have missed it if they did.

Just bought a good handful of Shaws. Haven`t gotten around to watching all of them yet but so far, am enjoying Marco Polo and The Shaolin Avengers. I really like how SA is one giant fight scene with flashbacks. Interesting, very interesting. Also watched The Magnificent Ruffians. Haven`t watched this film since the old pan & scan ground zero days. Such an night and day experience. It`s almost like seeing it for the first time. Watched Magnificent Wanderers. That movie was interesting and not bad but didn`t appeal to me the same way as the others. I liked Fu Sheng`s role the most though.

I still have to watch: Boxer Rebellion, The Delightful Forest, The Kung-Fu Instructor, The Master Strikes Back, The Young Vagabond, The New Shaolin Boxers, The Sword Stained with Royal Blood, The Rebel Intruders and The Brave Archer II & III.

I still have to watch: Boxer Rebellion, The Delightful Forest, The Kung-Fu Instructor, The Master Strikes Back, The Young Vagabond, The New Shaolin Boxers, The Sword Stained with Royal Blood, The Rebel Intruders and The Brave Archer II & III.

All are good, my pick of the pack are boxer rebellion and when browsed this forum, underrated young vagabond. Light comedy turns into surprisingly dark and furious end fight.

I have thai box of brave archers but not watched them yet.

Bastard Swordsman

Wow...WOW! I wasn't expecting this. A solid fantasy world with awesome powers (they have Loki's deceptive powers!), but also a complex story about family ties. The "bastard" of the title goes through a transformation that reminded me of Gandalf the Grey becoming Gandalf the White. Or like Neo. It was cool. Obviously some effects are dated, but I really bought into this world of superheroes and villains.

Return of the Bastard Swordsman

A good and very necessary sequel. Some observations:

-Even the moon gets in on the action. SWEET!

-Good thing they happened upon the resurrection rock...or is that something like the room of requirement? I wasn't clear on that.

-Where did the two extra guys come from with the gurney?

-Was it me, or was that a VERY modern looking bridge and road that they fought on and around during the river fight? I was half expecting to see cars driving by!

-Where was the sun in all this? What a jerk....

-What was up with that giant...porcelain...pig thing in Invincible Clan's chamber? Or was it a gerbil? Was that symbolic? I understand the point of it in regards that it was white and blood needed to be spilled on it, but was there something else going on there?

Good stuff. Wish they could have continued the story even further...

Yang Wu Liang

I've been a bit burnt out recently so I thought I'd start with a few of my old favourites again... As it happens, this weekend I watched the Bastard Swordsman double bill. I remember always loving these films but as massa yoda says 'Wow!', I pretty much agree with everything written above.... I think the story is much better in the first one (although Part 2 is still fine) but I prefer the action in the second one, especially the 'Japanese' style of swordplay the Ega Clan used.... and all them Ninjas of course.

MasterBetty

I own nine SB DVD's, but have only found time to watch two of them so far (Human Lanterns and Heroes Two). Human Lanterns was the better of the two, although both films were excellent!!!

I'd love to expand my collection of Shaw Brothers films, unfortunately most of gem Are out of print here in the UK and cost a fortune online.

I own nine SB DVD's, but have only found time to watch two of them so far (Human Lanterns and Heroes Two). Human Lanterns was the better of the two, although both films were excellent!!!

I'd love to expand my collection of Shaw Brothers films, unfortunately most of gem Are out of print here in the UK and cost a fortune online.

Can you watch r3 releases? I know place where ~50 titles little above 1£ each...including oop titles like new shaolin boxers.

All are good, my pick of the pack are boxer rebellion and when browsed this forum, underrated young vagabond. Light comedy turns into surprisingly dark and furious end fight.

I have thai box of brave archers but not watched them yet.

Its been a while since I have watched Brave Archer but I always wanted to get the series. Recently I decided to just bust out and get what I could of Chang Cheh`s Shaws movies. I had a few but now my collection is somewhat, almost complete. There are a few he made that I have no interest in. But, now that I have Brave Archer II & III, I need to sit down and re-watch the first one and then watch the rest. I also have Brave Archer and His Mate but that one is off a little cause they changed actors around so if one actor played a particular character in the previous 3 then he is playing a different character in this movie and someone else is playing his part. Really confusing.

I found about the Thai box of Brave Archer after I had already purchased BA II & III Celestial HK. Where do you get your Thai discs from?

Also, just got The Weird Man.

Master Betty, if you haven't already got a multi-region player I would recommend you pick up one… You may even be able to find a code to change your own for free. The UK selection of Shaw brother movies is pretty slim by any stretch of the imagination, very much limiting your selection.

Can you watch r3 releases? I know place where ~50 titles little above 1£ each...including oop titles like new shaolin boxers.

wow, spill where's so cheap?

I just watched Secret Service of the Imperial Court last night and wow. I don't know what I was expecting considering I've seen so many Shaws at this point, but I thought this was a very impressive film. It had style, an interesting story, great acting and some really nice scenes.I was also happy to see Lo Lieh and Lo Mang appearances. Just when I think I've seen all of the best ones, something like this comes around. Very entertaining film.

The Silver Fox

Have Sword Will Travel/1969/. The movie is kind of a slow burner but the sporadic battles and absolutely blood soaked ending make it very worthwhile.

Yesterday I watched Big Bad Sis. 3 girls are being raped and take revenge by learning kung fu and beating the crap of everyones, it has non-stop action, lots of violence and lots of tits, the last 20 minutes are pure mayhem. I really liked this one !

Today I watched The Boxer's Omen. It started like a Rocky movie for the first 5 minutes then turned into a "what the fuck am I watching ?!"... wow this has to be the worse shaw movie I saw so far...... I gotta give credits for the originality and the avant-garde-ness? It's like a 1:30h nightmare.

MasterBetty

I'm not sure. As far as I know I can only play R2. But if it's as little as a pound, than it's well worth the risk! :D

MasterBetty
Master Betty, if you haven't already got a multi-region player I would recommend you pick up one… You may even be able to find a code to change your own for free. The UK selection of Shaw brother movies is pretty slim by any stretch of the imagination, very much limiting your selection.

wow, spill where's so cheap?

Thanks for the info, guys! I just use my Xbox 360. I was thinking of getting a Blu-Ray player, but I'm not sure where to start. The cheaper the better, though.

Thanks for the info, guys! I just use my Xbox 360. I was thinking of getting a Blu-Ray player, but I'm not sure where to start. The cheaper the better, though.

As far as I can tell, someone correct me if I'm wrong, it's not so easy or cheap to get an area free Blu-ray player (for Blu-ray discs) but there are a lot of reasonably priced options with multi-region DVD players within the Blu-ray player (just for DVD discs). I'm sure some of the guys that have taken up Blu-ray from the UK can help you more:smile:

You can always make a backup of the DVD or BD and remove the region coding on the backup.

Thanks so much for all the advice, guys! That back up thing sounds very complicated!

• Administrator
Yesterday I watched Big Bad Sis. 3 girls are being raped and take revenge by learning kung fu and beating the crap of everyones, it has non-stop action, lots of violence and lots of tits, the last 20 minutes are pure mayhem. I really liked this one !

I've owned this since it was first released, and have yet to watch it. Thanks for your thoughts on it. It sounds like a tough little exploitation flick.

Today I watched The Boxer's Omen. It started like a Rocky movie for the first 5 minutes then turned into a "what the fuck am I watching ?!"... wow this has to be the worse shaw movie I saw so far...... I gotta give credits for the originality and the avant-garde-ness? It's like a 1:30h nightmare.

Boxers Omen is one of the Best Shaw Horror flics.

:xd: LOL Yeah, this is a wild one! Personally, I love it. :nerd: I'd definitely describe it as a "WTF movie", but I don't mean that as a negative. I just lent it to my physical therapy doctor and said "You've never seen anything like this before." He flipped over it! :tongue:

So Kevenz, if you didn't like BOXER'S OMEN, definitely don't bother with SEEDING OF A GHOST (1983), which, though not quite as crazy, is still a WTF kind of movie.

Thanks so much for all the advice, guys! That back up thing sounds very complicated!

You're not alone Master Betty. Some of these guys are super tech-savvy! :ooh:

I just watched Secret Service of the Imperial Court last night and wow. I don't know what I was expecting considering I've seen so many Shaws at this point, but I thought this was a very impressive film. It had style, an interesting story, great acting and some really nice scenes.I was also happy to see Lo Lieh and Lo Mang appearances. Just when I think I've seen all of the best ones, something like this comes around. Very entertaining film.

I completely agree, SSoIC is a magnificent film.

I haven't had much time for watching films recently, but one of the last was Twin Blades of Doom, which I highly recommend. Ling Yun should have been used as a lead man more often, had bags of screen presence in this, and the Chu Yuan films I've seen him in.

Archived