The Best Shaw Film You've Seen Recently Is...

HAZ

The Master – thanks again to King of Kung Fu 2002 for this very enjoyable kung fu movie. Lots of good fights throughout, my only slight niggle was that some of the fights were sped up far too much… Luckily not all the time. A fun movie that I'll definitely watch again.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TibetanWhiteCrane

Holy Flame of the Martial World..... Holy balls, Batman... i've seen some crazy Shaw flicks in my time, but this one takes the cake! Tony Liu must have been on acid when he did this. Though it certainly was entertaining.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Holy Flame of the Martial World..... Holy balls, Batman... i've seen some crazy Shaw flicks in my time, but this one takes the cake! Tony Liu must have been on acid when he did this. Though it certainly was entertaining.

You should try watching it while on acid! :tongue:

Though subject-wise they're at opposite ends of the spectrum, HOLY FLAME OF THE MARTIAL WORLD and BOXER'S OMEN are two of the craziest Shaw films I've ever seen! :smile:

TibetanWhiteCrane

Yeah, it's some wacko shit, no doubt. It should've been called Holy Flame Of WHAT THE FUCK??! But I gotta give it to Tony Liu, I wasn't bored for a nano second here. So much crazy awesom stuff going on, you can't look away for even a moment, or you'll miss something outrageous.

Boxer's Omen was never my bag. As much as I like Ko Fei... it was just too demented for my taste.

Eastern Evil
Yeah, it's some wacko shit, no doubt. It should've been called Holy Flame Of WHAT THE FUCK??! But I gotta give it to Tony Liu, I wasn't bored for a nano second here. So much crazy awesom stuff going on, you can't look away for even a moment, or you'll miss something outrageous.

Boxer's Omen was never my bag. As much as I like Ko Fei... it was just too demented for my taste.

You have to watch 'Holy Flame...' with Buddha's Palm & Battle Wizard.

Also, Demon of the Lute....that is a foursome of crazy awesomness.

TibetanWhiteCrane

Buddha's Palm is ok. Battle Wizard is the one with Danny Lee and the big red snake, right? Think I saw that once, but didn't really dig it. Demon of the Lute might be a bit to wacky.... always passed on it.

Battle wizard...I usually keep stuff on collecting purpose even if not like movie that much but battle wizard I had to let go because 0% chance give it ever 2nd go(same was with legendary weapons of china).

Master strikes back was good, not quite great. Solid story but some more fu would have been needed. Decent cast, so far I have not seen Sun Chung movie I do not like:tongue:

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Battle wizard...I usually keep stuff on collecting purpose even if not like movie that much but battle wizard I had to let go because 0% chance give it ever 2nd go(same was with legendary weapons of china).

I'm stunned that you would put LEGENDARY WEAPONS OF CHINA in the same light as BATTLE WIZARD! :ooh: Though some people fing the comedy bits especially grating, didn't you thing the kung fu action was outstanding? :smile:

I'm stunned that you would put LEGENDARY WEAPONS OF CHINA in the same light as BATTLE WIZARD! :ooh: Though some people fing the comedy bits especially grating, didn't you thing the kung fu action was outstanding? :smile:

Kungfu action was outstanding most of time(however it applies to directors others flicks too so no extra points from it). Overlong ending just looked like show more than fight tho. Characters not interesting(excluding liu chia hui) , and voodoo doll concept stupid. Wasn`t there also woman dresses up as boy?I hate that concept and makes think men are blind on movies:tongue:

Well, it`s been 5-6 years since I watched it so maybe I would like it little more if check out today.

Skepparkrans

I finally took time and watched Killer Condtable, it have been waiting in the shelf for far to long. What a great flick! I love the dark, grim tone of The movie.

Tex Killer
I finally took time and watched Killer Condtable, it have been waiting in the shelf for far to long. What a great flick! I love the dark, grim tone of The movie.

It`s amazing indeed!I always forget that gem when consider what were finest from Shaw studios.

Nice twist ending, did you know there is version with less pessimistic end?

Skepparkrans
It`s amazing indeed!I always forget that gem when consider what were finest from Shaw studios.

Nice twist ending, did you know there is version with less pessimistic end?

I did not know that! but i like end, always like "bad" endings :angel:

i would love some more recomendations on other gloomy Shaw movies out there!

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

Have you seen HONG KONG GODFATHER? That fits the bill.

Skepparkrans

Hi BOB, no i have not, but i know you have great taste so it goes straight to the top of my to-get-list :) thanks

peringaten

I like HK Godfather a lot, but it's not really the same vein as Killer Constable; in that KC bracket you'd have to put "What Price Honesty" & "Deadly Secret".

Those two are proper gloomy martial Shaws. What Price Honesty is one of the best. If you want downbeat endings you could give "Usurpers of Emperor's Power" a go also.

Skepparkrans
I like HK Godfather a lot, but it's not really the same vein as Killer Constable; in that KC bracket you'd have to put "What Price Honesty" & "Deadly Secret".

Those two are proper gloomy martial Shaws. What Price Honesty is one of the best. If you want downbeat endings you could give "Usurpers of Emperor's Power" a go also.

Thank you.

The only of those suggestions i have is What Price Honesty, its in the same vein for sure and one of my favorite shaw movies. Im gonna check out your suggestions. Thanks :)

TibetanWhiteCrane

Deadly Secret is great! Secret Service Of The Imperial Court is also pretty gloomy.... and awesome. And Death Duel.... talk about melancholic..... geeez.

Skepparkrans

I have been trying to get hold of a copy of Secret Service Of The Imperial Court for ages! Is seems to be oop everywhere!

Is it Chor Yuens Deat Duel from 1977 you are thinking about? ahh almost forgot about that gem! awsome movie!

Tex Killer

Check out jimmy wang yu flicks golden swallow, trail of the broken blade and sword of swords.

I had to watch killer constable again after years break and it`s definitely masterpiece. Sets are good, actors too and fights very good. Solid unarmed and sword fights without undercranking and wirework.

Highly recommended to purchase if one can finds it these days:ooh:

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Hi BOB, no i have not, but i know you have great taste so it goes straight to the top of my to-get-list :) thanks

Huh? Well, thanks man. :wink:

Hmmm, Peringaten my friend, you are correct. I didn't mean to steer Skepparkrans wrong. I'm glad you said something. I mentioned HONG KONG GODFATHER as it is bloody, dark, and has a... how shall I put it? A less than cheery, anti-everybody-lives-happily-ever-after conclusion. But subject-wise, HONG KONG GODFATHER is nothing like KILLER CONSTABLE, as it is a modern day gangster thriller/action movie. So the vibe is why I recommended it. But it's not even in the same sub-genre as KILLER CONSTABLE.

Good recommendations.

Deadly Secret is great! Secret Service Of The Imperial Court is also pretty gloomy.... and awesome. And Death Duel.... talk about melancholic..... geeez.

I have been trying to get hold of a copy of Secret Service Of The Imperial Court for ages! Is seems to be oop everywhere!

Is it Chor Yuens Deat Duel from 1977 you are thinking about? ahh almost forgot about that gem! awsome movie!

SECRET SERVICE OF THE IMPERIAL COURT definitely fits the bill for what you were asking for. I love that flick.

Can't really remember the other two, though I know I've seen them. Chor Yuen's films are very hit and miss for my taste. They're either a fun, wild ride, or just confusing, overly choked with characters, and boring.

Check out jimmy wang yu flicks golden swallow, trail of the broken blade and sword of swords.

I had to watch killer constable again after years break and it`s definitely masterpiece. Sets are good, actors too and fights very good. Solid unarmed and sword fights without undercranking and wirework.

Highly recommended to purchase if one can finds it these days:ooh:

Of the three JWY films you mentioned, GOLDEN SWALLOW is the one I've gone back to a few times. It's worth it just for the scene where Jimmy wipes out that room full of guys (depicted on the DVD cover of the R1 release), and that's not even the climax! His character's macho moves with the ladies always amuse me too. I haven't seen the other two you mentioned in so long I don't even remember them.

I second all of your points on KILLER CONSTABLE.

Tex Killer

While I have dozens of unwatched IVLs lately not been much inspiration to check them:ooh::squigglemouth::cry:, but I managed to screen Legend Of The Fox today.

This is prolly adaption from novel, it feels more like typical Chu Yuan flick than CC. That is not negative thing, movie is great with plenty of crisp swordplay. Lead role though, I would rather have seen someone else than Chin Siu Ho, he is not that convincing for me but handles his part OK anyway.

Tex Killer

Well, I hated after 1st view. Maybe I was then expecting fight fest I do not remember...

Now years later it worked lot better. Storyline of na cha vs heaven palace is quite interesting one and while there is not much fighting what there is, is OK. Special FX are so-so but one can`t expect too much for 1974 movie.

On cover there is note "must see for true fans" and that is likely case. Not for everyones taste surely...

Thought it was about time I watched another SB film and my most recent buy was '8 Diagram Pole Fighter' so I popped it in my player.

90 minutes later:

Mind blown.

Skepparkrans

Even if its friday my kids went to sleep in time so i got a chance to see The Kid With A Tattoo directed by Sun Chung. While it is not my favorite shaw movie, it once again proves why Sun Chung is my favorite director from Shaw. I usely dont like Shaw comedies, and the comedy is sometimes to much even in this one, but Chung proves his skill in cinematic ones more. What i love with his movies is that it seems like every detail matters. The camera is great, so is the story, the fight choreography, even the details in the background seems to matter to this director. It all feels fresh even if its old.

The Kid With A Tattoo is a solid shaw ma comedy for fans. It have some stunning fights. I love how its all mixed, its fist, spears, swords, daggers.

I like it alot, i just wish Sun Chung have had done even more Shaw Kung fu movies.

Can't really remember the other two, though I know I've seen them. Chor Yuen's films are very hit and miss for my taste. They're either a fun, wild ride, or just confusing, overly choked with characters, and boring.

I totally agree! While Chor Yuen have some movies i rally enjoy, i must admit most of the time i turn on a Yuen movie it turns out to be a confucing mess. But the man have done some masterpieces aswell and if you dont remember Death Duel i urge you to see it again. It is one of my favorite Chor Yuen movies and one of my favorite Shaw movies..

Archived