The Best Shaw Film You've Seen Recently Is...

HAZ

I recently watched Rebel Intruders again recently. I can't believe it took me this long to discover the venoms but it was worth the wait:xd:

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lady is the Boss, great end fight in the gym. Prefer this one over My Young Auntie.

Wow, I loved the MYA end fight! Im gonna have to check this one out!

I recently watched Rebel Intruders again recently. I can't believe it took me this long to discover the venoms but it was worth the wait:xd:

Agree, definately one of the better Venom Mob movies (aka Killer Army). Lo Mang was given a little more to do than usual and that's always a good thing.

Lady is the Boss, great end fight in the gym. Prefer this one over My Young Auntie.

I don't prefer it to My Young Auntie but yeah, that finale was a WOW! The bycycle scene was really cool, too.

Shaolin Avengers

Lots of good fu and co-stars a'plenty!

Been revisiting CC's cycle series. DOS was a bit of a letdown. Not enough action from CKC.

MOTM is still a bit disjointed for me. In SA, there were several f/b scenes but it didn't detract from the overall story.

DOS was a bit of a letdown. Not enough action from CKC.

I think it worked well CKC staying in shadows and Fu Sheng taking center stage. Very neat ending. Having said that CKC was unfortunately quite underused at Shaws.

Best I have seen recently is Savage Five. Great cast, good if familiar plot. Villagers were just too nice and villains so vicious was really looking for end fight and it was great one.

Cloud Hands

I had been home from work ill the last few days, and decided to watch a few LKL films to ease my suffering, one of my favourite directors and choreographers. I went for films of his that I hadn't seen quite so many times.

Challenge of the Masters - I remember being lukewarm on this back in the day, but I enjoyed it on re-watching. The storyline and message was handled well, and I particularly enjoyed the training sequences. 7/10

Spiritual Boxer - Very entertaining, and nice shapes for a '75 film (among the first proper shapes films? Also one of the first kung fu comedies?), with the various animals, elements and gods styles. 8/10

Dirty Ho - Thoroughly enjoyed it. I remember liking it when I was younger, but wished it had more "proper" fights. Coming back to it, I found it ingenious and charming, with Gordon Liu excelling. 9/10

The Black Tavern (great thrilling story) and Swordswomen Three (don't know why exactly but I really liked it).

TibetanWhiteCrane

Lady Assassin.... never get tired of this flick. Great story, insane fight action and just ridiculous entertainment value! Great direction from Tony Liu, he made some of the best latter day shaws, but rarely gets any props.

Eastern Evil
Lady Assassin.... never get tired of this flick. Great story, insane fight action and just ridiculous entertainment value! Great direction from Tony Liu, he made some of the best latter day shaws, but rarely gets any props.

Yes, this is a top 10 favorite. Norman Chu & Lau Wing are great together...add Jason Pai Piao & it is even better :cool:

TibetanWhiteCrane

Yeah, also in my top 10 Shaws. There is a few times where the undercranking is a tad too obvious, but otherwise a fantastic and underrated movie. Love the ending, completely bonkers....Ninjas, giant shurikens... Love it.

TibetanWhiteCrane

Lady is the Boss... perhaps not a Shaw classic per se, but still a lot of fun. Some good fights, and thick 80's vibe.

Treasure Hunters... A decent kung fu comedy attempt from Shaws, directed by Lau Kar Wing. The end fight is BANANAS! the action ingenuity here is unbelivable. I have rarely seen comedy and gags interwoven with the actual fight action as well as it's done here.

Secret Service of the Imperial Court... another great Shaw effort from director Tony Liu. The undercranking is too over the top in some fights, but overall, this is one of my fave latter day Shaw flicks. Beardy is awesome, and so is Lau Wing.

Best because it`s only Shaw I have watched recently is "kid from kwantung". Some very low quality comedy vs. high level fighting. Hwang Jang Lee is incredible in this.

Chinese might have loved comedy of this type but zombie sequence specially made want to push fwd button..

In training sequences there is intesting use of split screen I do not remember seeing that before:nerd:

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
I had been home from work ill the last few days, and decided to watch a few LKL films to ease my suffering, one of my favourite directors and choreographers. I went for films of his that I hadn't seen quite so many times.

Challenge of the Masters - I remember being lukewarm on this back in the day, but I enjoyed it on re-watching. The storyline and message was handled well, and I particularly enjoyed the training sequences. 7/10

Hope you're feeling better now. :wink:

CHALLENGE OF THE MASTERS is a great film. I made a point of showing this movie to the younger students that I've trained with. I truly dig the messages it gives about commitment to training, the student/teacher relationship, living life with a high moral code, martial brotherhood, and compassion. An excellent "message" film, and Pops is simply fantastic as the villain. I love how creepy he is when he asks "You came here alone?" and looks around with a wicked "Looks-like-today-you-die" smile.

Dirty Ho - Thoroughly enjoyed it. I remember liking it when I was younger, but wished it had more "proper" fights. Coming back to it, I found it ingenious and charming, with Gordon Liu excelling. 9/10

I felt the same way as you the first time I viewed DIRTY HO. After watching HEROES OF THE EAST (a VHS copy of the TV broadcast under the title CHALLENGE OF THE NINJA), 36TH CHAMBER OF SHAOLIN, INSTRUCTORS OF DEATH (aka. MARTIAL CLUB), and MAD MONKEY KUNG FU, DIRTY HO left going "Huh?" But the second time I watched it, I felt 100% different, and now I count it among the very best SB films.

Yes, this is a top 10 favorite. Norman Chu & Lau Wing are great together...add Jason Pai Piao & it is even better :cool:

Yeah, also in my top 10 Shaws. There is a few times where the undercranking is a tad too obvious, but otherwise a fantastic and underrated movie. Love the ending, completely bonkers....Ninjas, giant shurikens... Love it.

Whoa! :smile: I thought I saw this one, but I guess not! After reading all of these comments, I must check it out. :nerd:

Lady is the Boss... perhaps not a Shaw classic per se, but still a lot of fun. Some good fights, and thick 80's vibe.

Well put. But I'm a sucker for any on-screen time with Pops. I'd watch that guy play checkers. :bigsmile:

Treasure Hunters... A decent kung fu comedy attempt from Shaws, directed by Lau Kar Wing. The end fight is BANANAS! the action ingenuity here is unbelivable. I have rarely seen comedy and gags interwoven with the actual fight action as well as it's done here.

One of the few SB films that's popular that I absolutely hated. The comedy was just overwhelmingly annoying to me. But this is the third time I've heard someone singing it's praises in as many days, including one friend saying it is among his favorite kung fu comedies of all time. I only watched it once... about 23 years ago! Sheesh... I'm getting old! :crossedlips: I guess it's time to give it a second chance.

Secret Service of the Imperial Court... another great Shaw effort from director Tony Liu. The undercranking is too over the top in some fights, but overall, this is one of my fave latter day Shaw flicks. Beardy is awesome, and so is Lau Wing.

This was a blind buy for me. I picked this one up when IVL first put it out, based on these three important criteria:

1. It stars THUNDERING MANTIS star Beardy

2. It was a Shaw Brothers martial arts film

3. It stars THUNDERING MANTIS star Beardy.

It was unlike any other SB film I had seen, and it blew me away.

Best because it`s only Shaw I have watched recently is "kid from kwantung". Some very low quality comedy vs. high level fighting. Hwang Jang Lee is incredible in this.

Chinese might have loved comedy of this type but zombie sequence specially made want to push fwd button..

In training sequences there is intesting use of split screen I do not remember seeing that before:nerd:

This one really is a mixed bag, isn't it? Some of the comedy in there was very hard to sit through, but I was definitely impressed with the fight action. This features one of my favorite HJL roles/performances ever. He fights in such a savage, scary manner, never looking like he's pulling a single strike. I love when he does the kick where he jumps up in front of a guy and claps the dude's ears/head between his feet! He jumps up so high that his ass is literally six and a half feet off the ground! :smile: Incredible indeed. :bigsmile:

Ditto on the split-screen. It was a fresh look, and I thought they integrated it well into the film.

I watched EIGHT DIAGRAM POLE FIGHTER for the... I don't know... 30th or 40th time (not including the countless times when I just watched certain scene). It's still so powerful, poignant, intense, exciting, and heart-breaking. Gordon Liu's pole fight with Phillip Ko as he earns his red monk sash/decides to leave the temple to save his sister is easily in the top five best kung fu scenes of all time for me.

I also have mad love for Pop's short, but powerhouse role/scene. He makes every second he's on-screen count. I always get the feeling that had Lau Kar-Leung lived in a time when wars were still being fought with kung fu prowess, he'd have been very much like this trapper character. I never feel like he has to "act" heroic like most actors. I just feel like HE IS.

TibetanWhiteCrane

I would say, give Treasure Hunters a second whirl, Bob. If you can sit through Kid From Kwangtung, surely you can sit through TH. Yes, some of the comedy is a bit of a chore, but less so than other Shaw kf comedies like Kid. With a Tattoo or Coward Bastard. And to me, the ending makes it all worth while.

Your right, SSOTIC is really an outstanding Shaw effort. Beardy's best film at Shaws, no doubt.

Cloud Hands

I had Treasure Hunters on VHS in the mid 90s and not seen it since. I may be wrong, but seem to remember that in the English dub Fu Sheng and the other lead (his brother?) are dubbed by the same voice. Can anyone confirm? If they weren't the same then they certainly were similar, the only dub which I found totally confusing!

I am much better thanks KUNG FU BOB, Buddah's name be praised!!!

TibetanWhiteCrane

And the Shaw binge continues....

Ten Tigers of Kwangtung.... hadn't seen this in a long time, and remembered it more fondly. Too many characters, next to no story as such. I had no idea what these people were fighting about, apart from the old ming/ching conflict. With the rose tinted glasses of nostalgia firmly removed... this was not great.

Delightful Forest... great role for Ti Lung. None of that wide eyed, chivalrous do-gooder nonsense here. He's a total badass. Great action, good characters, fun story. But what the hell was up with mangled soundtrack?! I almost switched it off during the sequence where Ti Lung is pubcrawling his way from tavern to tavern, getting hammered to increase his fighting skills. It sounded like three different tunes playing over each other..... it was fucking horrible, and went on forever. Is this on every version? Mine is the wellgo.

But what the hell was up with mangled soundtrack?! I almost switched it off during the sequence where Ti Lung is pubcrawling his way from tavern to tavern, getting hammered to increase his fighting skills. It sounded like three different tunes playing over each other..... it was fucking horrible, and went on forever. Is this on every version? Mine is the wellgo.

IIRC, the sound problem was on the DVD, but not the Blu-ray. I could be wrong on that, though.

TibetanWhiteCrane

Don't do Blu..... but I reckon that if it was like that on the Wellgo, it would be on all the dvd versions... IVL, Deltamac, United etc....... what a shame. Great flick.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

I watched THE LADY ASSASSIN.

I'm grateful to you guys for mentioning it. I guess I got all the many LADY this and that titles confused, because I thought I had seen it. But based on the above info I realized I hadn't. It was truly outrageous, action-packed, and entertaining from start to finish. Since I've been incredibly busy I had to split it up and watch it over a four night period, but it was still great! 8/10

I would say, give Treasure Hunters a second whirl, Bob. If you can sit through Kid From Kwangtung, surely you can sit through TH. Yes, some of the comedy is a bit of a chore, but less so than other Shaw kf comedies like Kid. With a Tattoo or Coward Bastard. And to me, the ending makes it all worth while

I started this one on my lunch break. So far it's much better than I remember. I'm watching the IVL disc this time, but when I saw it last, it would definitely have been a dubbed version. Sometimes I'm okay with dubs, but they can be extremely screechy and grating for the kung fu comedies. That would surely have played a part in how I felt about the film.

I'll pop back onto this thread with my thoughts on it once I finish it up.

Your right, SSOTIC is really an outstanding Shaw effort. Beardy's best film at Shaws, no doubt.

I don't understand how this one hasn't blown up in popularity from good word of mouth. So for anyone reading this, if you haven't seen it, you should check out SECRET SERVICE OF THE IMPERIAL COURT (1984, aka. Police Pool of Blood). Beardy (Leung Kar-Yan) is a righteous imperial guard surrounded by back-stabbing bastards. Eventually his moral code gets him into hot water with the schemers, and it gets pretty bloody. Though the film is very story oriented in the beginning, kind of like EIGHT DIAGRAM POLE FIGHTER, the action grows steadily until the big blow out climax.

I had Treasure Hunters on VHS in the mid 90s and not seen it since. I may be wrong, but seem to remember that in the English dub Fu Sheng and the other lead (his brother?) are dubbed by the same voice. Can anyone confirm? If they weren't the same then they certainly were similar, the only dub which I found totally confusing!

That sounds familiar, but it's been sooooo long since I watched it. I think there were only two or three guys and one or two women dubbing every voice for each film, so that's a distinct possibility.

I am much better thanks KUNG FU BOB, Buddah's name be praised!!!

Good. :wink:

And the Shaw binge continues....

Ten Tigers of Kwangtung.... hadn't seen this in a long time, and remembered it more fondly. Too many characters, next to no story as such. I had no idea what these people were fighting about, apart from the old ming/ching conflict. With the rose tinted glasses of nostalgia firmly removed... this was not great.

This is a film that really needs to be remade as a proper story about the Ten Tigers. With no flash-back/flash-forward nonsense. Just get a cast of real, classic old school guys like Lo Meng, Ti Lung, Chen Kuan-Tai, Lau Kar-Leung, etc to play the Tigers, and tell the story of a time when martial arts heroes upheld the law, before guns dominated the world.

Still, I do love about half of this film, enjoy the action tremendously, and find the final blow delivered unto the villain to be unforgettable. :nerd:

Delightful Forest... great role for Ti Lung. None of that wide eyed, chivalrous do-gooder nonsense here. He's a total badass. Great action, good characters, fun story. But what the hell was up with mangled soundtrack?! I almost switched it off during the sequence where Ti Lung is pubcrawling his way from tavern to tavern, getting hammered to increase his fighting skills. It sounded like three different tunes playing over each other..... it was fucking horrible, and went on forever. Is this on every version? Mine is the wellgo.

I own both versions, but I've only watched the IVL one (about ten times! :tongue:) so far. It sucks to hear that the Well Go release may be messed up. I'll have to try it out.

The finale of this film is one of my all-time favorite Shaw Brothers endings. Bloody as all get out! Ti Lung is tops in this.

IIRC, the sound problem was on the DVD, but not the Blu-ray. I could be wrong on that, though.

Don't do Blu..... but I reckon that if it was like that on the Wellgo, it would be on all the dvd versions... IVL, Deltamac, United etc....... what a shame. Great flick.

Hmmmm... let's see if anyone else had that problem or can answer the query about the Well Go Blu-ray...

TibetanWhiteCrane

Glad you liked Lady Assassin...... It's crazy!

I know the bulk of Treasure Hunters is dubious, but if the end fight don't do it for you.... then I don't know what to say.

And you're right, the ultimate Ten Tigers movie has yet to be made.

Watched Danger Has Two Faces today.... another rewatch, and it sadly hadn't improved since last time. Beardy is cool, 80's leather attire, shades, the Bronson Death Wish 3 gun.... but the rest sucks.

Good storyline with no draggy moments, decent special fx(considering age of movie, of course), quite a lot gore. Not so much fighting but what there was, I liked:bigsmile:

Just 76 mins, felt end came too soon tho...

Next is Buddhas Palm:nerd:

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
I know the bulk of Treasure Hunters is dubious, but if the end fight don't do it for you.... then I don't know what to say.

TREASURE HUNTERS

Okay, I watched it again for the first time since before many of the forums members were even born. It must have been the dub that ruined it for me the first time. It was very enjoyable! Lots of great action, with Fu Sheng, Cheung Ching-Pang (Fu Sheng's real life brother), and Johnny Wang Lung-Wei at the front-line of the action. But I must also mention the beautiful Yeung Jing-Jing is amazing as the double-sword wielding assistant to the villain, and Lau Kar-Wing (who also directed and did action choreography) has a wonderful action cameo as an antiques salesman. Though Gordon Liu didn't get to do a lot in this one, everything he does do is outstanding as usual. The comedy was 50/50 for me as far as far as laughs, but the kung fu action terrific. When Johnny is getting clocked in the head with the wooden men heads it's absolutely wince-inducing! I'm glad I finally watched this again. 6.5/10.

Watched Danger Has Two Faces today.... another rewatch, and it sadly hadn't improved since last time. Beardy is cool, 80's leather attire, shades, the Bronson Death Wish 3 gun.... but the rest sucks.

The whole thing felt like "This should be really good" but it never really made it. If you like the idea of Beardy with a big gun kicking ass in a modern day setting, I recommend PROFILE IN ANGER (flawed, but very entertaining) or HONG KONG GODFATHER (more blades than guns).

Good storyline with no draggy moments, decent special fx(considering age of movie, of course), quite a lot gore. Not so much fighting but what there was, I liked:bigsmile:

Just 76 mins, felt end came too soon tho...

Next is Buddhas Palm:nerd:

I haven't watched PORTRAIT IN CRYSTAL yet, but it sounds fun.

BUDDHAS PALM is a wild time!

Archived