The Best Shaw Film You've Seen Recently Is...

HAZ

Just watched Trilogy of Swordsmanship and loved it. Three unrelated 30 min. stories---great idea, and I wish they had done more of those. Wow, in the first story, The Iron Bow, Shih Szu has never looked more beautiful, and she does some really impressive spear fighting---long takes, fairly complicated choreography, and with no stunt double for most of it. She was very naturally athletic.

The last story was a classic Water Margin piece directed by Chang Cheh in his typical style for that time---I found on youtube someone did a body count for the final fight :bigsmile:

6Yi4ic4hFkA

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just watched Demon Fists Kung Fu or New Shaolin Boxers I think is what its really called. I I liked it had beardy in it and Alexander Fu Sheng. Can't believe I had never seen it before. Prolly because I went through an anti Shaw phase in my teens. Glad I did got a lot of catching up to do. Keeps it fresh too ya know when ya see a movie thats a gem like watching Knockabout or Prodigal Son for the first time got those moments where ya laugh out loud literally or get pumped, because the choreography is 30 years old and still amazing. I didn't laugh out loud while watching New Shaolin Boxers but I got to feeling for the character. I also thought it was kinda ironic having just watched First to Fight within the week that I watched another flick showcasing the same style.

Eastern Evil
Just watched Trilogy of Swordsmanship and loved it. Three unrelated 30 min. stories---great idea, and I wish they had done more of those. Wow, in the first story, The Iron Bow, Shih Szu has never looked more beautiful, and she does some really impressive spear fighting---long takes, fairly complicated choreography, and with no stunt double for most of it. She was very naturally athletic.

The last story was a classic Water Margin piece directed by Chang Cheh in his typical style for that time---I found on youtube someone did a body count for the final fight :bigsmile:

6Yi4ic4hFkA

Ti Lung & David Chiang are # 1 & 2 on the career killcount list according to

'All Out of Bubblebum'.

:biggrin:

Web of Death....WAY up there with Holy Flame of the Martial World as my fave "crazy fantasy" Shaw flick.

I don't know why in the world I was ever anti Shaw Bros. I can't even remember what my reasoning was. Either way just watched Shaolin Martial Arts. Another Alexander Fu Sheng flick. It shock me though when I saw my boy or ol dude rather, Simon Yuen, I saw him and was like hell yeah. Playing the type of role he plays best the old master. Movie had some cool classic training scenes. The dude learning his lil wing chun and the other fella doin his tiger and crane with Yuen Sifu. So many flicks to watch as I been through the thread and got a cool lil stack of movies now.

The Flying Guillotine

This was a very well-made film. It actually reminded me of two other Shaw favs: Avenging Eagle (character arc) and Executioners from Shaolin (love story in the middle). Obviously it's a little corny sometimes when somebody just watches the guillotine land right on their head, or tries to run away from it by running in a straight line....can't you just watch its trajectory and then dive away from it at the last second? Oh well, it doesn't really matter that much since the weapon is so cool. 10/10.

The Flying Guillotine 2

A worthy sequel. I liked the rebel group that was introduced here. And the recasting worked fine. The final climctic fight is great, and worth the wait, however two things bugged me at the very end (spoiler alert): 1) I didn't like the use of slo-mo in the last minute. It was just too much slo-mo, it lasted forever. 2) I didn't like the freeze-frame ending. I needed more resolution for an epic like this. The first film started with a text opening and it would have been fitting if the sequel ended with a similar text explaining the aftermath of the battle. These gripes aside, I did like this daring sequel, it had lots of action, good characters, and a satisfying final showdown. 8/10.

I'll probably write up a full review on these later.

Eastern Evil

'The Tea House' was great - watched it a few hours ago.

... I am now 2 minutes in to 'The Emperor Chen Lung' and this looks very good as well with Lau Wing in the title role.

Eastern Evil

Wow! I am watching 'The Emperor and His Brother' now and it is the 9 minute mark - fantastic!!!!

Chor Yuen always uses my favorite actors and there were 13 brothers introduced already, most of the actors you know from his other movies. My favorite director, no doubt.

This should be good...

always have been fond of the emp & his bro.

im under the impression, its always been flyin a bit under the radar and when there was a discussion goin on about it, peeps werent being particularly kind. i suppose that has s/t to do with things gettin convoluted and slightly messy during the course of the story, most likely cuz its a depiction of some part off one of the epic wuxia novels (but dont quote me on that, im guessing in this case) and they`d have a hard time keeping things together.

pretty much as it almost always happens to be the case when the shaws screenwriter(s) had to deal with source material of epic proportions. understandable if ppl dont dig the heck outta a movie like that, although they re missin out on a pretty decent wuxia fest in the tradition of jade tiger et al. nice and somewhat unique end fight staging.

im on a SB break atm. some day (next year?) the urge will be overwhelming and then i`ll start rewatching the lot of em, from the very first ivl celestial batch to my very latest additions (to kill a mastermind & revenge of the corpse off the ziieagle box).

TE&HB is worth picking up if u ask me, just dont expect s/t mind blowing. that it is certainly not.

hope u dig those 90 remaining minutes, evil

Eastern Evil

hope u dig those 90 remaining minutes, evil

Hey thank you. I most certainly did!

Whenever I watch a new Shaw, If I don't get it in the 1st few minutes, I save it for another time. I nvever write off any movie in the Shaw Realm. I love them all.

...anyway, I just put in 'Fangs of the Cobra. I really like the 1st few minutes (It really has the 'Shaw Feel'...).

...I don't care if there is much in terms of fighting, I will be curious as to how it turns out.

I have high hopes for this Sun Chung movie!

FINALLY got back into a MUCH needed movie time. Today's movies are both GREAT Shaw classics IMO

Magnificent Ruffians

Mercenaries From Hong Kong

Eastern Evil

'The Mighty One' - watched yesterday. It was very good & I usually don't like that early stuff - certainly not as much as I like the Chor Yuen type of movie from1976 onwards.

Real good movie with a good villan.

House of Traps

Awesome end fight! Fast, acrobatic, brilliant. The house (er, room rather) was a nice gimmick too, though unintentionally funny since all those guards have to stand there and wait until the traps activate. The movie has a good set-up and top-notch action choreography, but the rest of the film? Well...

This movie is kind of...weird. Who am I rooting for again? Usually when a story is about a rebellion against an evil King, and the story revolves around the rebel force, we side with them. However, the characters we are supposed to sympathize with the most, the 'rat' pack, work for the King. Should I feel happy when they invade the house? And what is up with that ending??? More unintended humor.

Wish this could have been better, but it's still pretty good. End fight is 10/10!

Finally watched Monkey Kung Fu. I understand why so many on this forum like this movie. The story and acting is just so so but the kung fu on display is just awesome! The movie is packed with great fight and training scenes. Imaginative and fresh, i got the same feeling watching this as when i watched Clan of The White Lotus.

Watched Blood Brothers for the first time today, while I don't think it is one of the best Shaw films I have seen, I enjoyed it. The romance in it was believable enough, and I thought there were some good acting performances by all the leads, especially David Chiang. I felt the Kung Fu was average for the actors who were in it.

Chinatown Kid

Watched The Duel again recently and it really is a great film where the story is actually better than the action. Nice atmosphere and acting with Ti Lung in a very heroic role and David Chaing super cool as the Rambler. Nice Chang Cheh bloody nihilistic ending, they don't make um like this anymore. :sad:

• Administrator

Just watched MY REBELLIOUS SON. Extremely enjoyable film. Ku Feng plays Alexander Fu Sheng's dad, and they have great chemistry together. Sun Chung directs, and does a very nice job of keeping the story moving along at a good pace. There's a lot of impressive kung fu action, with long, intricate takes, and only the occasional, totay-out-of-place wire stunt (much like in FISTFUL OF TALONS). Chan Wai-Man lends his considerable talents to the film in his role as the head of a deadly samurai group. Fu Sheng is playful, but not silly in this one. He's a rascal with an unstoppable spirit and plenty of fight in him. 7.5 out of 10

Just finished Black Magic 2...GREAT movie (the tram fight alone is worth the price of admission). Now I have to debate weather I like this, or the first better hmmmmmmmmm...

• Administrator
DISCIPLES OF SHAOLIN. Fu Sheng, Chi Kuan Chun. Good action, arts, and acting.

Miss you, Fu Sheng.

Agree 100%. Killer flick, and yes, Fu Sheng is poorly missed.

• Administrator
Lady is the Boss, great end fight in the gym. Prefer this one over My Young Auntie.

Yeah man, that end fight is insane. I love when Pops is fighting with those blades, and the scene of him at the bar! Oh how I wish he had starred in at least twenty more films! :nerd:

Chinatown Kid
Yeah man, that end fight is insane. I love when Pops is fighting with those blades, and the scene of him at the bar! Oh how I wish he had starred in at least twenty more films! :nerd:

Yeah I wish he had too Bob, we would have had alot more gems to watch for sure! :smile:

Archived