The Best Shaw Film You've Seen Recently Is...

HAZ

Agreed. I love that film! I'm going to have to watch that tonight...

I forgot to mention how funny it was that the one girl was called "Fat girl" on the subtitles. I laughed every time. "Fat Girl, quit being so condescending." LOL.

Can we talk about the blood fest that is Hong Kong Godfather?! Just watched this after purchasing months ago... Holy $#*#!! Man this was a machete bloodbath! Norman Chu and Leung Kar Yan, old school, heroic gangsters, under Shih Kien! I now know why so many praised it's recent release!

Though a little dated, this was very enjoyable. I also loved Shih Kien's little display of his skills to his grandson... The man that to be 70 and moved better than any of today's "pop-tart-stars".

:nerd:

I have this one, but I haven't watched it yet. Too many others to watch...speaking of which:

Shaolin Temple (1976)

Epic. Loads of characters, lots of time spent building those characters and relationships. Huge finale. The new Shaolin movie wishes it could be this awesome. The temple itself was actually a character in this one, and that's what made the difference. A little choppy sometimes, but that's my only complaint.

Next up: Five Shaolin Masters.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
waywardsage

A few nights ago I watched Ten Tigers of Kwangtung. Big title, very slow story that didn't seem to go anywhere.

Just finished Invincible Shaolin tonight. It was amazing! I loved the whole build up of the story, mistaken identities, and training sequence! Great simultaneous tripple duel at the end too.

... I have this one, but I haven't watched it yet. Too many others to watch...

Massa_yoda, do yourself a service, take a break from those period classics, and give this a shot... I put it off, like you, for months. I wish I had not. It is worth the 90 mins.

Five Shaolin Masters

Very cool story, great one-on-one duels at the end. Each fight had a unique backdrop, which was cool. One at a waterfall, one by a cliff, one in a field, etc.

Golden Swallow

Decent sequel to Come Drink with Me (is it an official sequel?). Cheh made some good creative choices shooting the action I thought. I like Hu's classic better, just a more interesting movie.

Two Champions of Shaolin

This was just okay, but a great finale redeemed it a little.

Massa_yoda, do yourself a service, take a break from those period classics, and give this a shot... I put it off, like you, for months. I wish I had not. It is worth the 90 mins.

Yeah, I may take you up on that now. I think I need a break from these classics. Even though they are all good, I am watching too many right now...I'm starting to mix them up in my head!

Hong Kong Godfather

Yep...it was good! It gave you like-able characters and friendships you cared about. Then it gives you the ultimate bloody payoff. Shoulda been called "Meat Cleaver Story"

Hong Kong Godfather

Yep...it was good! It gave you like-able characters and friendships you cared about. Then it gives you the ultimate bloody payoff. Shoulda been called "Meat Cleaver Story"

:bigsmile:

Watched CLAN FEUDS last nite.....forget what a great flik it is, the hand play between Dik Lung and Yang Ching Ching is stunning choreography from Yuen Cheng Yan, Ko Fei has one of his best characters, TWO Venoms in action....pure class!!

The Martial Club

Definitely a top ten all-time final fight in close quarters. Simply amazing. Very good and fun movie!

The Martial Club

Definitely a top ten all-time final fight in close quarters. Simply amazing. Very good and fun movie!

Fun is definitely a word I associate with The Martial Club. I love that movie!

Chinatown Kid

I keep coming back for repeat viewings of Kid from Kwangtung for HJL's super bad ass performance. He just seems to have an intensity in his fights not found in his other films.

I keep coming back for repeat viewings of Kid from Kwangtung for HJL's super bad ass performance. He just seems to have an intensity in his fights not found in his other films.

CTK! Long time, brother! I've heard the praises of HJL's performance here and I've yet to watch, even though it's in my collection... Gotta check this out!

Chinatown Kid
CTK! Long time, brother! I've heard the praises of HJL's performance here and I've yet to watch, even though it's in my collection... Gotta check this out!

Hi Dragon, good to be back man! You owe it to yourself to check out HJL's kicking performance in this film, devastating kicks in this one. :bigsmile:

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

Do it! :tongue:

Hi Dragon, good to be back man! You owe it to yourself to check out HJL's kicking performance in this film, devastating kicks in this one. :bigsmile:

Agree 100%. One of my fave HJL performances. Unforgettable.

Finally got the time to sit back and watch a Shaw flick (though it took two nights).

Saw this one way back on Black Belt Theater but only viewed the IVL once (in 2004?)

Excellent fu-fest. Really liked how LKL ended his battle with Gordon as well as how he ended the film.

cotm.jpg

cotm1.jpg

cotm2.jpg

Kid With The Golden Arm – solid Venoms Movie, Good action but didn't blow me away like a lot of their films.

Eight Diagram Pole Fighter – really very good movie, enjoyed everything about it.:xd:

Avenging Eagle – Enjoyed this thoroughly, very good fights through the movie, good story and drama. Got to say I loved the detail on those old shaw brother sets!

Barring the odd modern HK exception that grabs me these days, why can't Hong Kong make movies like these classics? :squigglemouth:

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Finally got the time to sit back and watch a Shaw flick (though it took two nights).

Saw this one way back on Black Belt Theater but only viewed the IVL once (in 2004?)

Excellent fu-fest. Really liked how LKL ended his battle with Gordon as well as how he ended the film.

Yes, the moral lessons in this film are fantastic! When I first started training in Jujutsu I turned on a bunch of the younger (and older), teenage students to Asian cinema and I made sure to show them this one. It had a profound effect on many of them. I thought that seeing someone with incredible skill, but also an equal amount of kindness and mercy was important for their journey through life as a martial artist. Same with MARTIAL CLUB.

Thank you for the great photos Teako! :nerd:

Kid With The Golden Arm – solid Venoms Movie, Good action but didn't blow me away like a lot of their films.

Eight Diagram Pole Fighter – really very good movie, enjoyed everything about it.:xd:

Avenging Eagle – Enjoyed this thoroughly, very good fights through the movie, good story and drama. Got to say I loved the detail on those old shaw brother sets!

Barring the odd modern HK exception that grabs me these days, why can't Hong Kong make movies like these classics? :squigglemouth:

That's quite a run of 1st time viewed films! Great stuff.

That's quite a run of 1st time viewed films! Great stuff.

Yeah but that was over a couple of weeks:smile:

I also watched "daredevils" as well and forgot when I posted earlier, probably because it was the weakest of all the movies… Still entertaining enough:tongue:

Most of the Shaw Bros movies I'm watching are first time viewing , so I'm really appreciative to Kingofkungfu2002 for his generosity in all the movies he gave me and all the helpful recommendations from this forum.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Yeah but that was over a couple of weeks:smile:

I also watched "daredevils" as well and forgot when I posted earlier, probably because it was the weakest of all the movies… Still entertaining enough:tongue:

Most of the Shaw Bros movies I'm watching are first time viewing , so I'm really appreciative to Kingofkungfu2002 for his generosity in all the movies he gave me and all the helpful recommendations from this forum.

Right on. Agree with you on DAREDEVILS. Fun, but not that great.

Yes, KingofKungFu2002 is a fantastic guy. Generous, kind, and very cool. Love that guy! :bigsmile:

Right on. Agree with you on DAREDEVILS. Fun, but not that great.

Yes, KingofKungFu2002 is a fantastic guy. Generous, kind, and very cool. Love that guy! :bigsmile:

Yeah, he is kinda special, KFB!

Shaolin Intruders

Cool movie with awesome weapons. The fight on the wooden benches was classic. Good end fight too. Finally, I've seen all 3 Tang Chia (aka Tong Gai) films!

blue_skies
Yeah, he is kinda special, KFB!

Yeah great guy, opened me up to so much that I probably wouldn't have even thought about seeing.

blue_skies

I was wondering do people just comment on all the Shaw Brother films they have seen recently here? Or just the good ones?

Last night I watched "ode to gallantry" and I can't say it was a good movie or one that I particularly enjoyed despite my favourite venom being in it. Still very new to SB I doubt it's suitable to be placed on the worst SB movies list but it's definitely the worst Shaw brother movie I've seen to date and the worst venoms movie I've watched by some long distance(although I still have a few yet to watch).

edit: I was just looking on Hong Kong cinemagic wondering if it had anything to do with the loss of Lu Feng, perhaps on choreography duties but apparently he was a part of it. I know the production definitely missed his skills on-screen and lacked a real presence of an amazing bad guy to fight in the finale(and throughout). Even my other favourite Chiang Sheng didn't look great, even when doing his acrobatic moves looked like he was on autopilot just going through the motions. Shame.

massa_yoda
I was wondering do people just comment on all the Shaw Brother films they have seen recently here? Or just the good ones?

I think the idea is that they are ALL good movies, though you have just given evidence to the contrary! :tongue:

blue_skies
I think the idea is that they are ALL good movies, though you have just given evidence to the contrary! :tongue:

:tongue:

maybe this section of the forum needs a what's the last Shaw Bros film you watched? thread

Archived