The Best Shaw Film You've Seen Recently Is...

HAZ

The Fugitive. Ku Feng is a real bastard here. Lo Lieh is great in another anti-heroic role.

An EASTERN WESTERN.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Eastern Evil

What do y'all think of 'Clan Fueds'?

I am 28 minutes into it and the story is real nice so far & picking up steam.

Lots oftheRed/Blue/Green spotlight in the cave with the mini Shaolin temple - I reall

likethe spotlights & I wonder if they ever came up in a discuission here? I guess it started in the late '70's, but I love when they use them (So many pictures have them)

It makes early '70's Shaw movies seem so bland incomparison.

Not that they have anything do do with each other but a few 'Clan movies

I've seen....Iwonder IfI am missing any. I love the Gu Long and Chor Yuen(<----did I get thsat right??) combination!!

Anthony Lau is great in any of them, as is Ti Lung. Lau does have gratcharisma and it is good to see hime get to show it in some of those flicks (Pursuit ofVengeance, Duelof the Century.....others as well)

Killer Clans - My favorite

Clans of Intrigue - good....

Clan Fueds....so far, very nice!

....lots of Clan themes......:biggrin: Viscious fuckers, those Clan members.

Cutting your own son up with a horse just for liking the girl in then ext Clan over.....shame on them.

watched the kid w/ the golden arm for the 1st time.

badass!

one of the best i've seen in a while. i'd have to say it rivals 5deadly venoms.

although i've only watched it once i don't really recall anything rotten in it.

short axe was prob. my least favorite character.

Watched 3 SB movies this week:

Come Drink With Me

Loved it! Good story, great sunny location work, excellent direction and refreshing to have a female lead...

The One-Armed Swordsman

Can Jimmy Wang Yu get even more intense than he does in this?

I do enjoy how the Shaw Brothers movies create such evil villains that really deserve to get their just desserts in the final battle (though I was surprised to see Jade-Faced Tiger in 'Come Drink With Me' get away scot free!)

And for a film less serious:

The Land Of Many Perfumes

Got the 4 movie 'Journey To The West' Australian set as I always enjoyed the 'Monkey' series when I was younger. Weakest of the 4 but still silly, enjoyable nonsense. Always worth it just to see Pigsy burst into song! :bigsmile:

Drunken Monk

I'm re-watching "Stroke of Death" aka "Monkey Kung Fu." How this isn't considered a classic by everyone, I don't know. The martial arts on display are an absolute treasure to behold.

I'm re-watching "Stroke of Death" aka "Monkey Kung Fu." How this isn't considered a classic by everyone, I don't know. The martial arts on display are an absolute treasure to behold.

Agreed! I think it's largely overlooked in the Shaw library. The timing in the choreography alone is awesome (at least I thought so).

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

I've watched this one many times and agree 100% with you. It's filled to the brim with fantastic kung fu!

Agreed! I think it's largely overlooked in the Shaw library. The timing in the choreography alone is awesome (at least I thought so).

The only reason I can see people over-looking it might be because it doesn't have big name stars and fancy production values and sets. Unlike the majority of colorful, beautiful stages-filled Shaw Brothers films, this looks like one of the countless middle of the road fu films where they just film in any old dirty house, and everyone wears ragged grey clothes. But still... like many of those movies, they shouldn't be judged on their appearence, as many are kung fu fighting treasures. I'm grasping for straws perhaps... but in my circle of friends, it IS considered a classic.

I agree, I bought it a couple of months ago and loved it. Definitely the best monkey kung fu-movie out there, superiour IMO to Mad Monkey Kung Fu. The end fight scene is amazing.

Just watched Legendary Weapons Of China

Great fight choreography, great cast (once I'd gotten over the shock of seeing Gordon Liu play a villain for the first time!) and the plot holds your attention right through to the obligatory abrupt Shaw Brothers ending!

Though the whole 'Con man pretending to be a Kung Fu master' comedy sequence seemed almost out of place with the rest of the film...Was it a late addition?

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Just watched Legendary Weapons Of China

Great fight choreography, great cast (once I'd gotten over the shock of seeing Gordon Liu play a villain for the first time!) and the plot holds your attention right through to the obligatory abrupt Shaw Brothers ending!

Though the whole 'Con man pretending to be a Kung Fu master' comedy sequence seemed almost out of place with the rest of the film...Was it a late addition?

From what I've heard, Pops created this role to show that even after suffering from broken legs, Fu Sheng had recovered and was still able to pull off amazing action. I agree, it seems so out of place in the film. But I'm used to it now and even enjoy it.

But how about the fights in this one?! :bigsmile:

From what I've heard, Pops created this role to show that even after suffering from broken legs, Fu Sheng had recovered and was still able to pull off amazing action. I agree, it seems so out of place in the film. But I'm used to it now and even enjoy it.

Ah, that makes sense.

Plus Fu Sheng is quite obviously enjoying playing the comedy role right from his first beard stroking appearance!

I loved the way (also in Five Element Ninjas) that all the weapons are named as they are used. As I said, great choreography!

Also forgot to mention I watched Brothers Five last week.

Rather thin on plot but lots of non-stop action. That manor must have had to hire an endless amount of guards as they're nearly always wiped out each time a brother comes to attack!

(Love the sequence with Lo Lieh rescuing Kao Yuen off the manor's gate)

I finally sat through a complete viewing to 7 MAN ARMY. Wow.. the cast, the story, and the performances, in particular-Fu Sheng, and Ti Lung, were most engaging. This is now amongst my favorite War films. The remastered print plays well and the 5.1 DD-EX is very cool here. Thank you Celestial!

I've known of this film and had it in my collection a couple years. Worth the wait indeed.

I like that scene too but it suffers from going on a little to long, LKL does the same thing in Mad Monkey Kung Fu where Hsiao Ho beats up the original 2 thugs extorting money before he goes in to fight Lo Lieh. I believe they had the same "squeaky wheel" music in both movies?

The Bastard...

This was one of the first Celestial remasters I got that wasn't one of the big kung fu classics that I had seen before, and I was really impressed----and I realized just how many great "unknown" Shaw movies were out there. It's still one of my favorites.

TibetanWhiteCrane

only problem is that these early Celestial releases now looks like shit on my HD TV.......

Can't watch em.... it's all pixelated! And out of 1500+ movies, they are just about the only ones that looks like that!!!!

only problem is that these early Celestial releases now looks like shit on my HD TV.......

Can't watch em.... it's all pixelated! And out of 1500+ movies, they are just about the only ones that looks like that!!!!

I have a fairly cheap all region Jwin DVD player that plays these early Celestial releases well. On my Samsung Plasma HDTV, they look very nice. Later releases like 7 MAN ARMY, which I just posted about, look phenominal.

TibetanWhiteCrane

Tried three different players, all came out the same. Really bothers me, cuz I will most likely never put Shaolin Temple on again, which I love, because the pic quality is so distracting:sad:

Others that looks bad are:

The Bastard

Clans Of Intrigue

Legend Of The Bat

Death Duel

and some others, haven't checked em' all. Don't know the timeline for the releases, but I think these were some of the earliest ones out.

Tried three different players, all came out the same. Really bothers me, cuz I will most likely never put Shaolin Temple on again, which I love, because the pic quality is so distracting:sad:

Others that looks bad are:

The Bastard

Clans Of Intrigue

Legend Of The Bat

Death Duel

and some others, haven't checked em' all. Don't know the timeline for the releases, but I think these were some of the earliest ones out.

That's a shame.. I picked up a few of these titles to VCD when they were initially released because the DVD's were slow coming. They have always looked better than what was originally available. THE MAGIC BLADE seems to play like what you've stated about those other titles, but I'm able to still enjoy it.

TibetanWhiteCrane

Oh yeah, Magic Blade is another one.....

yeah, it's a damn shame! They all looked fine on my old tv.... sometimes ignorance is bliss:squigglemouth:

Opium and the Kung Fu Master

Great film. A little too melodramatic at times, but it's forgivable. GREAT finale.

Opium and the Kung Fu Master

Great film. A little too melodramatic at times, but it's forgivable. GREAT finale.

Agreed. I love that film! I'm going to have to watch that tonight...

Can we talk about the blood fest that is Hong Kong Godfather?! Just watched this after purchasing months ago... Holy $#*#!! Man this was a machete bloodbath! Norman Chu and Leung Kar Yan, old school, heroic gangsters, under Shih Kien! I now know why so many praised it's recent release!

Though a little dated, this was very enjoyable. I also loved Shih Kien's little display of his skills to his grandson... The man had to be 70 and moved better than any of today's "pop-tart-stars".

:nerd:

I have had Hong Kong Godfather in my hand, ready to buy, a few times, but I always pick something else. You've just helped me decide to finally buy it.

I can't wait to see it now!!! :bigsmile:

Archived