The Best Shaw Film You've Seen Recently Is...

HAZ

I recently saw Shaolin Intruders for the first time, it was awesome.

I revisited this one recently as well. I am a bit disappointed in it, to be honest, since it could have been a lot better with solid martial artists in the main cast. I enjoyed Jason Pai Piao's character though, and think he's a good actor. Never really liked Derek Yee that much to be honest, since he hardly does any action by himself, and combined with Tong Gaai's choreography, it's pretty much more doubling than the actual actors fighting.

Phillip Ko is still a pimp in every sense of the word. I ain't got nothing on him. :D

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shaolin intruders is not a great movie all around, but the insanely complex set pieces make it stand out. Every single one of those 'tests' in the temple blows my mind, especially the one with the benches

SHAOLIN INTRUDERS has a string of great fight scenes and a lively cast including old-school favorites like Philip Ko, Lee Hoi San, Ku Feng, and Jason Pai Piao. There's an interesting lead actress in Liu Yu-po, whom I hadn't seen before this one. So I enjoyed it.

Other good Shaw Bros. titles I've seen recently:

THE IRON BUDDHA - more nonstop fight action, this time with Ling Yun and an underrated villain actor named Huang Tsung-hsin.

SWORDSMAN AT LARGE - Frankie Wei plays a really interesting outlaw hero and there are two beautiful lead actresses in Tina Chin Fei and Margaret Hsing-hui, both of whom do their share of fighting. Tina wields a lethal whip. A nicely handled love story in its middle portion puts the fighting on hold for a spell. Which worked for me.

Sammo Hung is in both of these in small bad guy parts.

Watched a ton of good Shaw Brothers movies this past weekend. I Will Finally Knock You Down Dad, Kid From Kwangtung, Heroes of the East, Masked Avengers, Treasure Hunters, Two Champions of Shaolin, Secret Service of the Imperial Court and Magnificent Ruffians.

Masked Avengers, Two Champs and Treasure Hunters are probably my favorites out of all of those. That was the first time I saw I Will Finally Knock You Down, Kid From Kwangtung and Secret Service though. Enjoyed all of them.

Could you go a little in depth on I Will Finally Knock You Down Dad? Can't find it anywhere and I'm aching to see Chin Siu Ho and Chen Kuan Tai together.

gravedigger666
Could you go a little in depth on I Will Finally Knock You Down Dad? Can't find it anywhere and I'm aching to see Chin Siu Ho and Chen Kuan Tai together.

search youtube about it,u see trailer+almost 10 min clip.

There's a VHS tape and a laserdisc (I think) of this title from years back. You shouldn't have too much trouble finding this one.

There's a VHS tape and a laserdisc (I think) of this title from years back. You shouldn't have too much trouble finding this one.

DVD would be preferable as I don't have a TV for the moment and have to watch all movies on my laptop. :l

I'll keep looking around though, as the video clips looked quite interesting. Thanks gravedigger.

Watched Secret Service Of The Imperial Court again after a long while and this time it grew on me though I am not a fan of undercranking especially with swordplay.However Leung Kar Yan and Liu Yung's performance was powerful including the acting.Quite an emotional theme for a fight fest.

gravedigger666

I still have loads of unseen shaws but went last nite for Avenging Eagle which I saw 1st time 4 months ago.Now I am convinced this is finest Shaw I have ever seen,even better than 5 Shao-Lin masters.*sigh*,if it would be uncut...

I just watched Gang Master again and that is now officially one of my favorites.

Gang Master is awesome. I love the initial ceremony, and Austin Wai has got some serious moves.

I recently wastched Shaolin Avengers for the first time, and I dare say it's one of my favorite amongst Chang Cheh's Shaolin Movies. I love how the story is told through the flashback, although it's not very cohesive, I still found it quite original. I also think this is one of Fu Sheng's best martial arts performances, quite possibly from the excellent choreography by Hsieh Hsing and Chan Yat San. Chi Kuan Chun is cool as always, and has atleast 3 lines in this movie! (It's also probably the quickest 3 years anyone has ever spent in Shaolin temple). Also got to see one of my favorite sidekicks in the limelight; Tong Yim Chaan who played Fang Shiyu's brother, Fang Xiaoyu.

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

"went last nite for Avenging Eagle which I saw 1st time 4 months ago.Now I am convinced this is finest Shaw I have ever seen"

Avenging Eagle is a film I can't even get sick of no matter how many times I've watched it. It really is extremely well done in all departments. The english dubbed Platinum Collection version is my favorite version.

gravedigger666

I was not expecting so much from Wandering Swordsman,but was pleasantly surprised with it.Thing little irrated Chiang was grinning all the time but action was good and there was lot of it.Ending when Chiang slays gang of bandits reminded me of some jimmy wang yu movies:)

• Administrator
I still have loads of unseen shaws but went last nite for Avenging Eagle which I saw 1st time 4 months ago.Now I am convinced this is finest Shaw I have ever seen,even better than 5 Shao-Lin masters.*sigh*,if it would be uncut...

Gravedigger666- which is cut? AVENGING EAGLE or FIVE SHAOLIN MASTERS? Aren't the IVL/Celestial DVDs uncut?

• Administrator

Thanks for the link Gravedigger 666.

You know, I'd seen AVENGING EAGLE a bunch of times before the IVL disc came out, but when I was watching the new DVD I was just mesmerized by the widescreen, remastered image. I do remember thinking that the end fight just flew by, and wondering why I'd thought it was more involved though. But at the time, I'd just bought a bunch of these IVL discs and was popping them in one after another to re-experience them- the proper way. It didn't even occur to me that it might have been cut!

It was great seeing the footage re-inserted in that clip.

My fingers are crossed that the R1 DVD will be uncut.

Morgoth Bauglir

That beautiful picture is mesmerizing. Its like a different movie watching it remastered. Is this one of the Shaw movies Dragon Dynasty has? If so, you would think they would want to release it soon since it is such an awesome movie.

• Administrator
That beautiful picture is mesmerizing. Its like a different movie watching it remastered. Is this one of the Shaw movies Dragon Dynasty has? If so, you would think they would want to release it soon since it is such an awesome movie.

Morgoth, Oldeschool said "Dragon Dynasty owns the rights to this for a region 1 release. Expect it to be released in 2050 by the Weinstein's grandkids" at the link listed a few posts up. He always seems to have reliable info. But if he's pulling our chains over something this exciting, I say we team up and get him! I'll bring the three section staff. Do you remember where you left your blades? ;)

Well for me AVENGING EAGLE is one of my top favorite SB. And I was really pissed about it being cut at the end you can tell the scene just jumped, I have the Dubbed version where it is still intacted. My next favorites would have to be "Heroes of the East", "36th. Chamber", "Shaolin Mantis"

• Administrator
Well for me AVENGING EAGLE is one of my top favorite SB. And I was really pissed about it being cut at the end you can tell the scene just jumped, I have the Dubbed version where it is still intacted. My next favorites would have to be "Heroes of the East", "36th. Chamber", "Shaolin Mantis"

Dude, those are some of my favorite Shaws too. Whenever I bring up SHAOLIN MANTIS I feel like it gets no love. Great story (that ending shot!), acting, and a tremendous amount of cool fights in the second half. Probably my favorite David Chiang movie.

Morgoth, Oldeschool said "Dragon Dynasty owns the rights to this for a region 1 release. Expect it to be released in 2050 by the Weinstein's grandkids" at the link listed a few posts up. He always seems to have reliable info. But if he's pulling our chains over something this exciting, I say we team up and get him! I'll bring the three section staff. Do you remember where you left your blades? ;)

I like to inject sarcasm to this board. Dragon Dynasty do own the rights to this but there is no talk on their end to when they will release it. With exception of One Armed Swordsman and Come Drink With Me, they seem to only want to release LKL/Gordon Liu Shaw movies at the moment. I highly doubt they will release any more SB movies this year so expect the next batch of SB movies next year. They are averaging 2-3 SB releases per year so at this rate, IF they were to release all SB titles(which who knows if they will release in its entirety) it will be a longggg time before we see them all. Watch the IVL's for now to tie you over.

Dude, those are some of my favorite Shaws too. Whenever I bring up SHAOLIN MANTIS I feel like it gets no love. Great story (that ending shot!), acting, and a tremendous amount of cool fights in the second half. Probably my favorite David Chiang movie.

Shaolin Mantis is a good movie. One of Chiang's best in my opinion. He seemed alot more credible in his kung fu efforts in this movie than most of his previous roles/movies. I remember watching this with my cousins back in the day and later on trying to imitate the moves on my cousins(i was alot younger and they were much bigger):P

• Administrator
Shaolin Mantis is a good movie. One of Chiang's best in my opinion. He seemed alot more credible in his kung fu efforts in this movie than most of his previous roles/movies. I remember watching this with my cousins back in the day and later on trying to imitate the moves on my cousins(i was alot younger and they were much bigger):P

So you were just like David Chiang fighting... almost anybody!:P The guy's not exactly a giant is he?

So you were just like David Chiang fighting... almost anybody!:P The guy's not exactly a giant is he?

Yeah my mantis style could not defeat my older & bigger cousin's body slam for some reason.

Archived