The Best Shaw Film You've Seen Recently Is...

HAZ

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watched Gang Master (1982) yesterday on the train, and it's one of the best kung fu movies I've ever seen. The plot is great, the acting is splendid, there are a lot of twists and the ending is very surprising. And the fights are FLAWLESS! If you haven't seen it, watch it immediately.

u have a lot of love for gang master too. top entertainment.

Went straight up to second place on my list. Unfortunately it's OOP, which sucks since I'd love to add it to my collection. And it's never going to be released by any western distributor, since it lacks the favourable repute and doesn't have any big names attached to it. Guess it's time to scavange the internet for used copies :P

I watched One-Armed Swordsman for the first time yesterday!

I must say, for a movie from 1967, it really held my interest. Yeah, there's a lot of talking, but the story was good. I liked that the hero was trying to get out of the Martial Arts world, but continues to get pulled back in. Now I need to watch the sequels (though they aren't available on netflix :sad:)

Stroke of Death one the best hand to hand combat SB movies IMO .

Awesome movie! I think it gets overshadowed by many other Shaw titles, which is a shame.

Watched Gang Master (1982) yesterday on the train, and it's one of the best kung fu movies I've ever seen. The plot is great, the acting is splendid, there are a lot of twists and the ending is very surprising. And the fights are FLAWLESS! If you haven't seen it, watch it immediately.

I just picked up Gang Master recently but haven't had a chance to watch it yet. Looking forward to it and I will now have to move it up on the list of titles to watch!

Blood Brothers. Ti Lung is great as the backstabbing Ma Hsing Yi.. The film's choreography is very dated, however the cast, Chen Kuai Tai and David Chiang each play well off Lung's villainy.

THE NEW SHAOLIN BOXERS, starring Fu Sheng and Wang Lung-wei. Average Chang Cheh film overall but the fight choreography was surprising sophisticated for 1976. I was very impressed with Fu Sheng's performance. I'd say it's one of, if not his best straight up kung fu fighting performance next to DISCIPLES OF SHAOLIN.

THE NEW SHAOLIN BOXERS, starring Fu Sheng and Wang Lung-wei. Average Chang Cheh film overall but the fight choreography was surprising sophisticated for 1976. I was very impressed with Fu Sheng's performance. I'd say it's one of, if not his best straight up kung fu fighting performance next to DISCIPLES OF SHAOLIN.

Yep, I might also rank that one as Fu Sheng's best on-screen fighting.

I watched The Shadow Boxer (1974), Not to be confused with The Shadow Boxing (1974) with Wong Yu.

Pretty good film, Uses Tai Chi as its main Martial Art.

instant noodles
I watched The Shadow Boxer (1974), Not to be confused with The Shadow Boxing (1974) with Wong Yu.

Pretty good film, Uses Tai Chi as its main Martial Art.

Yes, it`s interesting film. I like concept hero does not take action until end of film even as injustices happen around him all the time.

I have to watch it again, been years but I remember some scenes looked like actor must have gotten hurt during filming, looks very painful. If I recall right, guys jumped at him etc...:ooh:????

Best and only Shaw I have watched very recently was Fast Fingers...I was not expecting much but was positively surprised. Decent kungfu comedy with wang lung wei:bigsmile:

Just watched The Kung Fu Instructor, and loved it---a minor classic from Sun Chung, IMO. I really liked the plot, Ti Lung's noble character, some good fight scenes and training scenes, good score. Some nice Sun Chung filming and framing techniques, too.

What kept it from being an absolute classic, IMO:

* I would have liked to see Wong Yue doing a bit more training---you didn't really see him get that good before the final fight.

* Ku Feng delivered a classic evil villain when it came to the acting, but he just wasn't that convincing with the kwan dao as a serious martial arts threat to Ti Lung---although the longer shots of the fight scene using a stunt double helped.

Very good movie overall, though.

Men from the Gutter. I went in thinking this will be entertaining enough but didn't expect it to be this good. Damn entertaining, gritty and exceptionally violent at times. I'd kill someone to see Her Vengeance.

Portrait in Crystal. How this movie isn't more popular is beyond me. Or maybe it is and I didn't notice. I know it's not as popular as Infra-Man which makes no sense.

I just saw Killer Constable; compared to Kuei Chih-hung's other films, I'd say it fits snugly in-between the gripping drama of The Teahouse and the haphazard brawler many know as The Gold Connection. There is a lot to like here, including increasingly intense fight scenes soaked in all a manner of rain, darkness, bodily fluids, and muck. Unfortunately, there is room left for little else. This is a shame; the supporting cast is quite likeable, and in the stead of rushed exposition I would have liked to see more of the plot unfold. Kuei's prior work with Chen Kuan-tai was much stronger in this regard.

Despite some conspicuous props, lacking narrative, and assorted silliness, this film conveys an uncharacteristic sense of savagery for HK cinema that's worth a look for us genre fans.

instant noodles

Swordmates was really enjoyable wu xia..Time passed so quickly with it:bigsmile:.at76 ,minutes it was over too soon.

Sadly no ivl dvd exists:cry:

I dislike Demon of the Lute a little less now. It gets overbearingly silly and childish but it's still absurdly entertaining regardless. I think.

Bastard Swordsman was excellent. I guess I didn't know what to expect but it surpassed expectations. Is the sequel worthy of a blind buy (no spoilers please)?!

masterofoneinchpunch
... Bastard Swordsman was excellent. I guess I didn't know what to expect but it surpassed expectations. Is the sequel worthy of a blind buy (no spoilers please)?!

Hell yes. I really liked both films quite a bit. I figured if you like the first you will easily like the sequel. Both have great cinematography and great use of the camera (some annoyances with wire-work, undercranking; though I do like a lot of the wire-work in the film), but seriously the composition and mise-en-scene is underrated.

Also, don't you want to know what is going to happen after the first? :)

I am 3 and a half minutes into 'Portrait in Crystal' and I just know it will be classic.

Jason Pai Piao is one of my top 10 favorite Shaw actors and I love the colored lights on the sets of these late period movies.

Any thoughts on this movie as I watch it?

Hell yes. I really liked both films quite a bit. I figured if you like the first you will easily like the sequel. Both have great cinematography and great use of the camera (some annoyances with wire-work, undercranking; though I do like a lot of the wire-work in the film), but seriously the composition and mise-en-scene is underrated.

Also, don't you want to know what is going to happen after the first? :)

You're right that ending to the first was great and left you wanting more but I wasn't sure if the sequel would pick up right where it left off. I've never read anything about the sequel not having seen the first. I agree but since a movie like this relies heavy on wire work you can be more accepting of the parts you don't like.

I am 3 and a half minutes into 'Portrait in Crystal' and I just know it will be classic.

Jason Pai Piao is one of my top 10 favorite Shaw actors and I love the colored lights on the sets of these late period movies.

Any thoughts on this movie as I watch it?

I finally got how great he is after seeing him in Men from the Gutter.

Portrait in Crystal is indeed a great movie. It's so hyper and visually stunning. This week I plan on seeing Holy Flame of the Martial World

You're right that ending to the first was great and left you wanting more but I wasn't sure if the sequel would pick up right where it left off. I've never read anything about the sequel not having seen the first. I agree but since a movie like this relies heavy on wire work you can be more accepting of the parts you don't like.

I finally got how great he is after seeing him in Men from the Gutter.

Portrait in Crystal is indeed a great movie. It's so hyper and visually stunning. This week I plan on seeing Holy Flame of the Martial World

I think you will really like Holy Flame.

That, 'Battle Wizard', 'Buddha's Palm', and 'Demon of the Lute' are all of the same ilk, imo.

I loved each of these very much and I keep trying to find similar movies - 'Portrait in Crystal' has that wacked out story like them. Great stuff.

Return of the One-Armed Swordsman

New One-Armed Swordsman

Both were good. NOAS had a great action finale. Finally I've seen the whole trilogy.

Something about ROAS I never liked, could be the watered down story (in comparison to the original) or that the choreography and pacing seem's to be caught in between an old and new style of cinematography?? I always preferred NOAS as it totally embraces a quicker more flowing style of combat. Or maybe its just that David Chaing Ti Lung thing that made all the difference?! Though its strange to prefer a disconnected sequel over an original, NOAS works for me due to its somber story (like the original) but better action! Also, Ku Feng and those irons was Badazz!!

Archived