The Best Shaw Film You've Seen Recently Is...

HAZ

Just watched "The Fugitive" for the first time. I love early 70s Shaws, particularly ones set in the Republic-era. Much more gun-fu than kung fu, with everyone sporting a broom-handle Mauser. Man, there was some intense gunplay in this one! Very, very solid acting from both Lo Lieh and Ku Feng as bandit brothers who end up against each other, and the music (taken directly from Once Upon a Time in the West) also worked well. Really good, and action packed, just don't look for a ton of kung fu.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
gravedigger666
Just watched "The Fugitive" for the first time. I love early 70s Shaws, particularly ones set in the Republic-era. Much more gun-fu than kung fu, with everyone sporting a broom-handle Mauser. Man, there was some intense gunplay in this one! Very, very solid acting from both Lo Lieh and Ku Feng as bandit brothers who end up against each other, and the music (taken directly from Once Upon a Time in the West) also worked well. Really good, and action packed, just don't look for a ton of kung fu.

Interesting, I have this on pile waiting to be watched.

gravedigger666

5 shaolin masters...have seen that many times before and it never gets boring.I am not huge Fu Sheng fan bu he is good there...But so are ti lung, david chiang, chi kuan chun and excellent villains---

it was definitely NOT Lion vs Lion... I just got around to watching the Media Blasters version last night... and I gotta say I was pretty disappointed... the story is like a roller coaster of decent and terrible.. I'd recommend fast forwarding about 80 minutes in, because Johnny Wang has some great fight scenes toward the end back to back to back, although the fight with Lo Meng was a let down..

I'm gonna watch Golden Swallow tonight, hope its better!

gravedigger666

I'm gonna watch Golden Swallow tonight, hope its better!

That is one milestones of SB/wu xia movies.Great music score and very nihilistic atmosphere.

Just watched the UK release of Human Lanterns, have both UK and HK releases of it, but I never bothered with the British version until now...it looks like it is slightly longer...a bit more gorier than the IVL version???

I watched Crippled Avengers for the first time the other night and I have to say I was sceptical seeing how the movie began(as they became cripples) wondering how this was going to work. But damn me if The Venoms didn't pull out all the stops, with some jawdroppingly good stuff from Kui Chui & Chiang Sheng:xd: those guys are freaking amazing! Absolutely fantastic stuff. lots of it just blew me away! :xd:

Avenging Eagle. Fu Sheng... Now when I look back on these films, I can't help wondering, "What a talent... and charisma!"

gravedigger666
Avenging Eagle. Fu Sheng... Now when I look back on these films, I can't help wondering, "What a talent... and charisma!"

I liked his work in this lot more than in many where he is clowning around.He handles serious role extremely well:angel:, not all credit to him of course, rest of cast, sets, storyline etc are superb also.

Lady of steel:bigsmile:...Cheng Pei Pei is very cool in this, plot is strong, action is good and there is even beggar clan:tongue:. What more could you ask if you are into wuxia?

:nerd:

9/10

Black Falcon...whoa, not kffight, just crime and some punch and shoot...Time really passed nicely with this:ooh:...very positive surprise.

Black Falcon...whoa, not kffight, just crime and some punch and shoot...Time really passed nicely with this:ooh:...very positive surprise.

Cool. I haven't seen it, but I've been meaning to pick up Black Falcon for a while now----I think that one had a Japanese director, and like several other Shaws of the era was influenced by the Nikkatsu action movies.

Cool. I haven't seen it, but I've been meaning to pick up Black Falcon for a while now----I think that one had a Japanese director, and like several other Shaws of the era was influenced by the Nikkatsu action movies.

Name Tao Kao Mei sounds korean to me, when feels less lazy I check his origin..You should definitely pick this, who knows do you like it but I rate it clearly among supreme shaws who are not classified as kungfu/swordplay.

The best Shaw Bros film I've seen recently would probably be Heroes of the East which I enjoyed greatly.:xd:

The film itself reminds me a great deal of Fist of Legend and Legend of a Fighter, probably down to China versus Japan elements and Kurata's involvement in all those films. And as much as I enjoyed Heroes of the East, I didn't think it was quite as good as FoL & LoaF, which given how fantastic they are it's not really that surprising.:smile:

My journey into Shaw Bros movies continues…

Just got and watched the R1 disc of The Flying Guillotine. I had never seen the movie (or maybe a bit of it on tv in the 80s). I'm not really into the more gory/exploitation martial arts movies, and this one was never that high on my list. Upon watching it though, I was pleasantly surprised---there wasn't much over-the-top cheesy gore, and it was actually a pretty thoughtful, emotional story with some strong performances. I really liked this one a lot. Master of the Flying Guillotine is fun in a campy way, but I thought this one was a much better overall movie.

Watched Tiger Killer last night, and must say it was a pleasent surprise.

The movie was more on the drama side with little fighting.

The story is a adaption from a part Water Margin and tells the story about Wu Song and the events that takes place before Delightful Forest.

The movie is great casted, Ti Lung is, as always, great on screen but the strongest performance comes from Wang Ping playing the unhappy, seductive wife.

There are aslo some great performances from supporting roles by Wang Lai and Liu Yeng.

A highly recommended movie!

Just watched Pursuit, and loved it! I didn't realize until I started watching that this was the same Water Margin episode that was filmed in the 90s as All Men are Brothers---Blood of the Leopard. I'm not a huge fan of 90s wuxia, but I did like this one a lot, because of the story. The Shaw version was pretty similar, and Yueh Hua and Fan Mei Sheng were perfectly cast as the noble troop instructor and the wild monk. It's a pretty grim tale of betrayal and vengeance, but man, Yueh Hua delivers some major, emotional ass-kicking with his spear---some great looking fight scenes. I also really liked the snowy, winter setting for the last act, with a nice mix of Shaw sets and some location shots. I really liked this movie a lot.

That got me to thinking---how many Water Margin stories have been adapted to Shaw movies? I know of:

The Water Margin

All Men Are Brothers

The Delightful Forest

Pursuit

Tiger Killer

....any others?

....any others?
Chang Cheh's 3rd section of anthology movie "Trilogy of Swordsmanship" is continuation of the Water Margin story...

Just watched Pursuit, and loved it! I didn't realize until I started watching that this was the same Water Margin episode that was filmed in the 90s as All Men are Brothers---Blood of the Leopard.

pursuit was my latest SB (revisitation) as well :bigsmile: yup its a great one.

i also agree AMAB-BotL is a darn solid new wave entry, albeit dwelling on the dark side of the kf-moon. worth gettin noticed, hence my seconding kyfis notion.

Thanks peringaten--I do have that one, but haven't watched it yet.

jmungus, yep that's just a really great episode of the Water Magin---works well in both versions.

Dirty Ho - Watched it last night, i is always sceptical about Kung Fu comedies but i must say this movie rocks! I have not had this much fun watching a Shaw movie since i last watched Clan Of The White Lotus. Looking back my aversion to kung fu comedy may be misplaced since i love movies with comedy elements like Mad Monkey Kung Fu, Spiritual Boxer and Heroes Of The East. Maybe i just have to surrender and admit that im a big fan of Lau Kar Leungs work.

Dirty Ho is filled with crativety and stunning fight choreography. The wine tasting scene alone is worth the ticket! This movie is now officially one of my favorite Shaw movies.

I've been home nursing some injuries and all I've had to do is feed the TV shaw brothers for the last 2 days.

It has been an epic run of first views, I'm really honored to have seen these films one after the other:

Death Duel

Clan Fueds

The Magic Blade

The Convict killer

Pursuit of Vengeance

I really enjoy Fu Sheng & Venoms, and now I am starting to like the Clan flicks with Ti Lung. It's been an absolute pleasure &I am gonna keep on going strong and hit as many as I can from mid '70's to 1983.

Battle Wizard

Buddah's Palm

Demon of thelute

Holy Flame of the Martial World

The above 4 were my previous favorite marathon of first time watches. 2 hours for sleep &I can watch another 5 or 6.

Still have many more to watch. I'm grateful for that. It will be a sad day when they run out.

Archived