The Best Shaw Film You've Seen Recently Is...

HAZ

Lady with a Sword, with a beautiful Lily Ho, some nice photography and swordfighting and directed by the female Kao Pao-shu (how rare is that??)

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

still moving forward full throttle with my Shaw Brothers obsession

Black Magic

The Snake Prince

a mind-bending double feature!

Black.Dragon

Just watched Magic Blade , and Death Duel . To great Swordsmen movies. Chu Yuan was Shaws second best director IMO.

Five Masters of Death. I just watched this film again, and I really like it. Old School at it's best, just guys fighting out in the countryside, no special effects.

Mark Pollard

RETURN OF THE ONE-ARMED SWORDSMAN (1969)

I'm currently reworking my way through Chang Cheh's entire filmography in chronological order beginning with THE MAGNIFICENT TRIO. I'm about to re-watch THE HEROIC ONES (Well Go USA's English-dub version). So far I have found RETURN OF THE ONE-ARMED SWORDSMAN to be the most satisfying of Chang's '60s-era productions. To me it best typifies the campy, fun Chang Cheh style that emerged in the mid-'70s. I previously thought GOLDEN SWALLOW was my favorite Chang Cheh film from this period, and it certainly has its moments, but it feels more uneven in places.

MGYtWsud5AQ

If you're skipping Butterfly Chalice (which I thought was produced '63), you might as well at least check out the one truly relevant bit of the film - the film's only proper fight scene... Chang Cheh's first ever ruckus!!!

hYa2jJ_dw48

edit - why can I never see my youtube video embedded posts properly on forums?? Here's a link if it ain't showing for others...

Peri - You're putting the entire link in between [y0utube] and [/y0utube].

Note: Had to substitute 0 for o otherwise the above brackets would not show.

Just place the video ID: hYa2jJ_dw48 between the 2 brackets and voila....

hYa2jJ_dw48.

edit - why can I never see my youtube video embedded posts properly on forums?? Here's a link if it ain't showing for others...

Mark Pollard
If you're skipping Butterfly Chalice (which I thought was produced '63), you might as well at least check out the one truly relevant bit of the film - the film's only proper fight scene... Chang Cheh's first ever ruckus!!!

I did skim through the film to find the one fight scene before moving on. Seeing as this was a Huangmei film that Chang was co-director of - his first, I wonder how much creative input he had outside of this fight scene. Anyone with a copy of his memoir know?

Chang stated Yuen Chau-Fung's name was included on the credits to help calm company unease as he was a newcomer and YCF was a veteran. Chang said that while the subject matter was not his favorite, he managed to pull off an average work and that Yuen Chau-Fung rarely interfered with the shooting.

I did skim through the film to find the one fight scene before moving on. Seeing as this was a Huangmei film that Chang was co-director of - his first, I wonder how much creative input he had outside of this fight scene. Anyone with a copy of his memoir know?

silver hermit

the killer, purple darts, this man is dangerous, misfire, revenge of the corpse, black enforcer, thunderclap and to kill a mastermind, still looking for those dubbed shaws from that US HD channel. one day my patience will pay off

Hold on. What. You've seen Revenge Of The Corpse? Where? How? Zii-whatsname rip? Where???? Must see this.

Mark Pollard
Chang stated Yuen Chau-Fung's name was included on the credits to help calm company unease as he was a newcomer and YCF was a veteran. Chang said that while the subject matter was not his favorite, he managed to pull off an average work and that Yuen Chau-Fung rarely interfered with the shooting.

Thanks Teako. Marketing with well-known names was clearly a big deal for the studio. Hence the reason why Chang's early films always had female stars credited in the lead even when they barely had any screen time. Blink and you'd miss Lily Li's role in THE HEROIC ONES and yet her face dominates the poster art.

Masked Avengers...Have seen it of course many times in past but this time watched it with 2 friends.Masterpiece.End fight is SICK:bigsmile:

AVENGING EAGLE- Ti Lung, Fu Sheng

That is one of best.I am not hardcore FS fan but in this one he shined.

DIRTY HO- Gordon Liu and Wong Yue

wine fight?been close to 20 years since saw it but have ivl...

Black.Dragon

Perils of the Sentimental Swordsman (English Dub)

Not as good as the first two films. I didn't like the change in Ti Lung's character.

Eastern Evil
THE ONE ARMED SWORDSMAN- Jimmy Wang Yu... My favorite One armed Swordsman movie.

English dub? where?!?

I do know someone made a custom DVD with the English dub added to it.

PM if you mant some info on it.

Shaolin Chamber 36
English dub? where?!?

ADC, there is a ton of custom dubbed SB films available.

Archived