The Best Shaw Film You've Seen Recently Is...

HAZ

Mad Monkey Kung fu - Really good but didn't quite live up to its legend for me.

Kung Fu Instructor - I really enjoyed this (sorry "make believe" :squigglemouth: ) .

Although I do agree with formulaic , but maybe thats what I like - good same ol' :tongue:

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Blood Sword
Bastard Swordsman was a blast! loved every minute of it.

That is awesome,I did read review long time before seeing and in the end when had hold of thai united release feared it would betray massive expectations.But no:wink:

Empress Dowager & The Last Tempest. Very good historical dramas. And Lisa Lu Yan as Cixi *so* owns the screen...

Skepparkrans
That is awesome,I did read review long time before seeing and in the end when had hold of thai united release feared it would betray massive expectations.But no:wink:

True! it is always risky when ones expectations are way up there..

But Bastard swordsman was way better then i could imagine. I also liked the sequel, it was not as good as the first but still in the greatness category :bigsmile:

make believe
Just watched Web of Death with Lo Lieh. I love this dark film, big on superpowers light on standard combat but unique in its own right. Very dark film, dark vibe and I hate spiders too so that death spider freaks me out more. I .

Interesting. I may need to move this up the unwatched pile. I wasn't expecting this to be on the darker side so I was holding off for the time being.

Mad Monkey Kung fu - Really good but didn't quite live up to its legend for me.

Kung Fu Instructor - I really enjoyed this (sorry "make believe" :squigglemouth: ) .

Although I do agree with formulaic , but maybe thats what I like - good same ol' :tongue:

I need to watch Mad Monkey Kung Fu again. I wasn't too into it the first couple times. It does have some of the best training scenes.

I definitely don't mind formulaic but the movie itself was just too uneventful or something. I wouldn't be opposed to watching it again.

Blood Sword

I need to watch Mad Monkey Kung Fu again. I wasn't too into it the first couple times. It does have some of the best training scenes.

It`s OK.I liked it from very first viewing but after 5-6 views I never started to love movie.

Finally got around to watching Martial Club for the first time last night. Kind of a mixed bag. I'm not that big on lion dancing, and there was a heck of a lot of it in this movie. Also, a few too many large group fights that weren't all that great. On the plus side, some great fighting from Hui Ying Hung, and a really great dramatic and fighting performance from Wang Lung Wei. I liked that he wasn't really the villain, and it made me think that I really would have liked him to have been the good guy in some Shaw movies---he could have made a great badass hero. Also, that final fight between him and Gordon Liu in the alley is about as good as it gets---really fantastic. Not in the top tier of LKL movies, IMO, but worth checking out.

Blood Sword

Marco Polo is awesome.

Latest shaw I screened was "6 assassins" and it was cool swordplay flick.Nothing groundbreaking there but does it`s purpose very well.

Pity about short playtime(1h20 min) I would not have been :tinysmile_angry2_t: for longer movie:wink:

I definitely don't mind formulaic but the movie itself was just too uneventful or something. I wouldn't be opposed to watching it again.

I love this movie and think it get better with repeat viewings, it has it's drag spots but Lo Lieh plays one of his best sleaziest villains and LKL gets the best KF out of him, and Hsiao Ho really does do a good monkey impersonation:xd:

Shaolin Martial Arts, spectacular movie, I'd put it just behind Shaolin Temple.

Blood Sword

Shaolin Martial Arts, spectacular movie, I'd put it just behind Shaolin Temple.

Both are really excellent items.Shaolin Temple better for me too because all star cast but both are extremely enjoyable and recommendable.Shaolin martial arts end fight more dramatic than free for all fight fest in ST but overall ST overcomes by small margin.

Shawoholic

Generation gap.It`s not everyones cup of tea but I enjoyed it from start to finish.Chiang gave so sweet performance in beginning of movie as guy in love but parents against relationship I actually hoped tragedy will not come..but of course it did:xd:

I used to wonder in past why it was said CC favored Chiang (had seen kung-fu/wu xia CC`s then only) but after seeing somel flicks set in modern day Ti Lung does not have much to do.

But there is nice basher-bout TL vs DC:smile:

Generation gap.It`s not everyones cup of tea but I enjoyed it from start to finish.Chiang gave so sweet performance in beginning of movie as guy in love but parents against relationship I actually hoped tragedy will not come..but of course it did:xd:

mile:

Generation Gap is a great film. And a proof that CC was actually very good at romances (even though I still prefer the homosocial stuff)...:tongue::wink:

been back on a SB frenzy lately. shaws that i`ve watched in the past 3 weeks included new tales of the flying fox, battle wizard, the eunuch, king eagle, barefooted kid, usurpers of emperors power, swift sword, proud twins, clan of amazons.

and the winner is: the "usurpers". nothing for the forms purists. theres comparatively little fighting and its done the new wave way- undercranked, wire-assisted... strong, well structured story telling, solid acting and competent direction/cinematography. what fighting there was it was entertaining throughout.

runner up would be either the kid or the eunuch

things i`ve learnt from those sessions: even the 'weaker' shaws, from the above list swift sword & CoA, still manage to entertain not always quite the hell outta me, but they re all way above par time killers hands down.

next up on my list are all time great SB goodies rendezvous with death & judgment of an assassin (whos the man ?!!!) and mad monkey kf. they can make "best shaws seen recently" any time easily.

I've been on a SB kick (again) too. Let's see.. loved these:

- Millionaire Chase

- Silver Fox

- Master of Kung Fu

- The Rescue

- Village of Tigers

about to watch something new .. I'm thinking Kid With a Tattoo

I watched Marco Polo last night, and it was a great Chang Cheh film.. I don't know why I hesitated so long on watching it... maybe the title gave me a bad vibe or something...

All Star cast in a 3vs3 classic!! Fu Sheng, Chi Kuan Chun, an Phillip Kwok VS Johnny Wang, Leung Kar Yan an Gordon Liu

See it if you haven't!! :xd:

yeah, Marco Polo is awesome. I hesitated to buy it because of the reported remix problems, but it's actually an awesome movie with great sets , action, Richard Harrison, etc etc I'm glad I bought it.

Eastern Evil

Wow, Marco Polo....I first watched Kung Fu movies when they were on T.V., Saturdays at 3 P.M., channel 5 by me. Until about last October, I had not watched them since those days, but I always remembered a few specific movie scenes, but did not know the names of the movies.

The scenes I remembered since forever were:

The palm print being embedded on the red post leaving a gray print - the palm print on the guys chest - Fu Sheng's training scenes (The part of putting hands in the beans and later splitting the wood with the hand - Phillip Kwock jumping out of those crap holes :biggrin:, The bamboo breaking and the rocks being pulled out of the ground....those scenes were why I liked Kung Fu as a kid & is why I decided to look for movies in October.

(I was lucky - the 1st I picked was 'Shaolin Temple/1976' One of my favorite movies ever)

....I was thinking about those scenes, and I thought the title had the word brothers in it and I thought it had a '5' in the title as well. It wasn't Brothers 5, Blood Brothers, or The Brothers, all which I have watched & loved. I guess the movie went by its title of 'The 4 Assassins', which would make sense. Anyway, when I watched Marco Polo, and I saw the palm print on the column, it was unbelievable to watch this movie I saw & remembered so clearly as a kid. I knew right away why I remembered & loved that movie so long ago - the actors. P. Kwock & Fu Sheng are 2 of my top 10 favorite Shaw actors. Chiang Sheng, Lu Feng, Lo meng, Ku Feng, Ti Lung, David Chiang, The strong guy in this movie (Bruce -----?), are some of them

- all the secondary Venom members (Wang Li?) are great & I am glad they pop up in so many flicks.

Sorry about this ramble...

I don't remember the point of this post, but thanks for reading if you did. :laluot_20:

...it really blew me away to find that movie after so many years..

Archived