The Best Shaw Film You've Seen Recently Is...

HAZ

Personally, Martial Arts of Shaolin is my favorite SB movie.

I also recently got around to watching Legendary Weapons of China and Opium and the Kung Fu Master.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Kennedy Il Sung

I got and watched Bastard Swordsman yesterday, that movie was just great. Loved some of the craziness to like the Cocoon, I'm happy I also received Return of the Bastard Swordsman yesterday.

The Fundrazor

Return of the Five Deadly Venoms, by far, is one of my favorite movies of all-time. The choreography is so fluid, and stylish. The story is pretty decent, and it has a good message to send out. The ending is outstanding showing everyone's talent and picking where they left off in Five Deadly Venoms. If you have not seen this movie, please watch and be amazed.

Just watched "The Bloody Escape" again, and I'm surprised this isn't considered more of a classic--I thought Sun Chung really nailed this one. Some very similar themes as Avenging Eagle, where a bandit learns to be "human"--- just updated to Republic era China. Very strong dramatic performances from Chen Kuan Tai and especially Shih Szu---this is one of my favorite roles of hers. Great character arcs for both of them in this movie. This story was perfect, and the ending felt spot-on. I really got drawn into this one. While I love Chang Cheh stuff, it's really great to see a kung fu movie with such a strong female character like Shih Szu plays, and an ending where not everyone dies. This movie is more evidence for me that, next to Ku Feng, Chen Kuan Tai was the best actor of the big Shaw stars.

And I should mention Chen Kuan Tai also gives a trademark early 70's basher beatdown to the villains in a 1-against-100 gang fight. :bigsmile:

Just watched "The Bloody Escape" again, and I'm surprised this isn't considered more of a classic--I thought Sun Chung really nailed this one. Some very similar themes as Avenging Eagle, where a bandit learns to be "human"--- just updated to Republic era China. Very strong dramatic performances from Chen Kuan Tai and especially Shih Szu---this is one of my favorite roles of hers. Great character arcs for both of them in this movie. This story was perfect, and the ending felt spot-on. I really got drawn into this one. While I love Chang Cheh stuff, it's really great to see a kung fu movie with such a strong female character like Shih Szu plays, and an ending where not everyone dies. This movie is more evidence for me that, next to Ku Feng, Chen Kuan Tai was the best actor of the big Shaw stars.

And I should mention Chen Kuan Tai also gives a trademark early 70's basher beatdown to the villains in a 1-against-100 gang fight. :bigsmile:

:xd::xd:

I was finally able to (after like two months wait from amazon) watch the Image Entertainment release of Super Inframan yesterday. My god, what a movie! You can't accuse it of not being entertaining, at least. The monsters looked hilarious and the fast pacing and funny English dub made this a movie you constantly smile while watching. Only complaint really is that it actually felt too short, I wanted more!

Just caught Fake Ghost Catchers from 1982. It dragged a little in the middle, but overall a very fun horror/kung fu/comedy, with a good cast. I'd recommend it if you like that genre.

Naval Commandos was pretty solid.Great cast( Ti Lung did not get much screentime tho) and story decent enough.2 things though.Our commandos seemed almost to shit into their pants when girl kissed their cheeks(rare thing to happen in CC movie:bigsmile:) and also like in 7 men army japanese soldiers do not appear too bright:angel:

Good movie and one I am sure going to watch several times again in future.

Full Moon Scimitar..When "ghost" appeared I did fear movie goes into wrong direction but it did not.Lots of fights and storyline was easier to follow than in some CY`s..

Great one and I think watch it soon again in very near future:bigsmile:

Shaolin Intruders Fantastic, action-filled movie! I ordered it together with The Master and Opium and the Kung Fu Master and liked it much better out of the three.

Kennedy Il Sung

Flag Of Iron, I liked it much more than "the Duel", and the action (specifically the flag fights) was just beautiful.

Full Moon Scimitar..When "ghost" appeared I did fear movie goes into wrong direction but it did not.Lots of fights and storyline was easier to follow than in some CY`s..

Great one and I think watch it soon again in very near future:bigsmile:

Nice to read positive thinhs about Full Moon.. since i was thinking of order it when i get my next salary :)

My most recent stunner was Opium and the Kung Fu Master. Loved the story, Great martial arts and Ti Lung was great.

I haven't seen any Shaw films in a long time, it will be a matter of going back and watching films that I've avoided. I dont know why but certain films just never captured my attention and I was never willing to purchase them. I think I'll start with Return of the Sentimental Swordsman, My Rebellious Son, and The Assassin.

The Assassin is excellent.I have Return of SS but unwatched.Now come to think it,I have plenty of Fu Sheng films waiting to be watched but always into player ends up film without him.I did not notice it until now:neutral:

Black butterfly.I tried to watch this year ago but gave up after 20 mins....30 mins or so from beginning nothing happens but after that it`s really good stuff.Vcd/dvd-r is worth definitely worth getting:bigsmile:

Forgive me if there is another thread like this but I searched for a while & didn't find one.

Discuss the last SB title you viewed, give your opinion & discuss. May I rip my own groin off ala Legendary Weapons Of Kung Fu style if this thread is a dupe.

Bells Of Death

I've had this on my to-watch list for awhile & was pleasantly surprised. I was particularly fond of the fight in the bamboo reeds. I've also never seen a dude punk out of a fight because of rain. I enjoy the way the jingling of his mother's bracelet builds tension as he stalks those who murdered his family. Decent swordplay as well. Not in their top tier of films but certainly enjoyable.

I just re-watched Death Duel by Chor Yuen and i must say this movie goes straight in to my top ten shaw movies.. Not so heavy on fighting but with a stunner cast, great story, absolutly beautiful sets and costumes, it a winner. Derek Yee is great as the unwilling champion of the martial world.

I just re-watched Death Duel by Chor Yuen and i must say this movie goes straight in to my top ten shaw movies.. Not so heavy on fighting but with a stunner cast, great story, absolutly beautiful sets and costumes, it a winner. Derek Yee is great as the unwilling champion of the martial world.

Death Duel was one of the first Celestial Shaws that I bought and I go back to it often, and I agree---one of Chor Yuen's best. Great atmosphere, performance,story, fights. Very dreamlike.

Death Duel was one of the first Celestial Shaws that I bought and I go back to it often, and I agree---one of Chor Yuen's best. Great atmosphere, performance,story, fights. Very dreamlike.

It was the second time i watched it and it have grown on me.. I did not rellay like chor yuens Magic Blade, it was cool but to confusing and to many villians but this movie made me want more so i ordered 6 new Chor Yuen movies :) I must say This is in the same league as my old shaw favorites Legend Of The Fox and Rendezvous With Death, or even better. And the endening is for once great! and that is rare for a Shaw movie where the ending often is to abrubpt.

Just watched Lady of the Law. I love the mid-70s Shaw fight choreography--just the right balance of acrobatics thrown in, little to no undercranking, and a little wirework, but not enough to ruin it. Shih Szu is achingly beautiful in this one, and has some great fight scenes, including one where she's wielding a spear. Some nice sword and blade work from Lo Lieh, as well. Suitably evil villains. And, a hilarious scene where Shih Szu is fighting about 50 women, and at least half of them are stuntmen in drag. :bigsmile:

Very fun movie!

Blood Sword

^sounds interesting.I thought I have it but after checking my tower of shaws waiting to be watched I was wrong.Well,there is tons of titles with Lady in them:nerd:...

Rebel Intruders was excellent, in top5 venoms for me.I saw it last time in dubbed fullscreen version long time ago so was delight to stare glorious IVL release:kiss:

make believe

The best ones would have to be Rebel Intruders and Lady is the Boss. Lady is the Boss exceeded my expectations, which to be honest were skeptical. Kara Hui was great in it, the movie entertained throughout and it wasn't as dated as I was expecting. The end fight of course is a classic.

I also watched Kung Fu Instructor and The Master Strikes Back.

Kung Fu Instructor was a bit of a letdown. It was a little too forgettable and really didn't deliver on the action.

The Master Strikes Back also lacked in the action department but the solid story more than made up for it. Ti Lung may not be the greatest on screen fighter but it would have been nice to see him go all out insane at the end after what happened with his son.

Archived