The Best Shaw Film You've Seen Recently Is...

HAZ

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Though I've seen it many times, the best film I've seen recently is Drunken Master 2, just watched it yesterday on Cable!! yeah its one of the few times comedy and action merge well for me. And its rare that a sequel of a classic film is better than the original.

Yeah I know, it's not a Shaw film but its done in a Shaw's style and has LKL and Ti Lung.

Swordsman At Large was very good...let`s see if "the bastard" can top that

I kinda liked this movie. The song by Chang Cheh was cool, & a cameo by a very young Sammo Hung at the beginning! Frankie Wei puts in a solid performance. It's a old school swordplay film. I should check out more from this era. I almost always like em.

Legend Of The Fox - Even if not all venoms is present in this movie i now officially appoint this as my second favorite venoms movie, my all time favorite is Five Element Ninjas. Ok i have still alot to watch, my collection is only in its youth..

But, man, this was a great movie. I loved the pacing, the storytelling, the characters. Extra fun to watch Chiang Sheng as the villian..

The movies storytelling felt very theatrical which suited the movie very well..

Great movie.. are you with me people? :wink:

Just had a look at Legend Of The Fox on youtube, Shepp. Does indeed look good and will keep me eye out for it.. Love the beachballs-mounted-on-sticks as weapons, too.

Legend of the fox is great:bigsmile:.

Just finished "12 gold medallions" which was so good.Got to love those Shaw wu xia movies:smile:

Just watched DIRTY HO and I absolutely loved it. The fights were great and I loved the idea of masking or hiding the fact that one knows kung fu!!

Once again proves Lau Sifu is not only imaginative but a true master of choreography!!!

Jade Tiger..been several years since saw it 1st time and gave it another go.Just as brilliant as I recalled.Great cast,sets,costumes.interesting weapons...in true C Y fashion 1-2 times it would have been easy to give up on a plot and just wait next fight but overall storyline is lot more tight than in several other C Y movies.

Excellent movie:wink:

vengeanceofhumanlanterns
I just watched 'Human Lanterns' for the first time, its the first "horror" film I have seen from Shaw Bros. Is there any other movies from Shaw Bros like this ?

Bloody Parrot. You won't be disappointed.

Guest WuxiaFan
Just finished "12 gold medallions" which was so good.Got to love those Shaw wu xia movies:smile:

I can dig that! :smile:

Just watched DIRTY HO and I absolutely loved it. The fights were great and I loved the idea of masking or hiding the fact that one knows kung fu!!!!!

I've been wanting to check out DIRTY HO for awhile, but need to pick it up first! :ooh:

watched shaolin prince wich was wonderful

Wasn't wild about SHAOLIN PRINCE...:tongue:

I just finished "Mad Monkey Kung Fu" and it was pretty fantastic. Lau Kar Leung and Hsaio Ho are a great team.

LOVED MAD MONKEY KUNG FU! MMKF is one of my all time favorite SB films! EVER! LKL was in rare form!

:khi6m:

LOVED MAD MONKEY KUNG FU! MMKF is one of my all time favorite SB films! EVER! LKL was in rare form!

:khi6m:

I definitely think it's one of my favorites now too!

The most recent one I've seen and my favorite so far is Come Drink With Me. What other movie would have a classic character named Drunk Cat? lol

The most recent one I've seen and my favorite so far is Come Drink With Me. What other movie would have a classic character named Drunk Cat? lol

Great movie! I love Drunken Cat's singing band of orphans!

Great movie! I love Drunken Cat's singing band of orphans!

I just love the whole movie cause it's just so crazy and when I first watched it. I wasn't expecting it to secretly be a comedy.

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Just watched Portrait In Crystal again. The second half is great. The first half is very silly. This is the third of the martial art/horror flicks Linn recommended to me. Human Lanterns and Bloody Parrot are much better examples.

have seen it before of course but re-visit...I think All Men Are Brothers Rocked...I think IVL is cut a bit but I love this lot more than water margin.

Best Shaw I've seen recently is none, its been awhile, but the last one I liked was Black Tavern, not the entire film but it has some parts I digged. In the scenes outside the Tavern it just felt like a regular Shaw Swordplay, but inside the Tavern, I really like the mood, setting, and build up of the action. It was clearly a lot like Dragon Inn but it had its own charm. Tavern is kind of like a Chor Yuen Clan Film done right.

I watched Shaolin Intruders with a bunch of friends (who've never seen it) last week. They were very impressed with it, despite how old the film is. I think I may have sparked up their interest in the genre because Wednesday we're gonna watch Legendary Weapons of China, and they're all looking forward to it.

Legendary Weapons of China??!! You must want them to hate Shaw Films...:) just kidding, but that film wouldn't be on my party list.

Party list? lol No, man. It's NO party when we watch movies. We're all movie buffs, so when we watch movies we actually get into them.

Archived