The Best Shaw Film You've Seen Recently Is...

HAZ

Guest WuxiaFan
Wow, you're a fan too? I didn't know this one was so popular. I love when they show the lecherous mens advances in slow motion with that perfect music. It really grinds your gears and gets you ready for some vengeance against them.

You betcha! How can any self-respecting SB fan not like ICCC? You are so right about that scene! :xd:

Easy to get confused too, as there actually is a Shaw Brothers film called SHAOLIN TEMPLE (aka. DEATH CHAMBERS, 1976, with Ti Lung among many other stars). Plus, it is strange that the first two films in the series- SHAOLIN TEMPLE and KIDS FROM SHAOLIN- were mainland China productions, then the third film in the series was produced by the Shaw Brothers- MARTIAL ARTS OF SHAOLIN.

Don't forget about SHAOLIN MARTIAL ARTS, too! :wink:

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
crazedjustice888

Don't forget about SHAOLIN MARTIAL ARTS, too! :wink:

Those things always confuse me, because its like a one word difference, or word order and its an ENTIRELY different movie...oh but Shaolin Martial Arts is AWESOME!!! I need to see Martial Arts of Shaolin...so confusing...:bigsmile:

I think !young vagabond! rocked..There is few so-so comedic moments but overall good watching experience:smile:

Fight between Liu Chia Hui and Wang Lung Wei was fierce.

I just watched Finger of Doom, from 1971, and really enjoyed it. Reminded me a bit of the Five Venoms, in that a student was sent by her master to track down a former student who had gone bad. And also like Five Venoms (more so, actually) there was a definite horror vibe to the whole thing, even though it wasn't really a horror movie. Ivy Ling Po was great, really nice sets and cinematography, very well done swordfight scenes. I love all eras of Shaws, but man, in that '70-'75 era it seems to me that they were really breaking new ground all the time.

The Silver Fox

I agree. It seems unbelievable some of the flicks that came out in that era. 1972 is particularily great -Black Tavern, Intimate Confessions of a Chines Courtesan,Boxer from Shantung and many more.

I did a blind buy on Black Tavern, the title kind of intrigued me and I was blown away by it.

Saw Wits of the Brats today, thought it was quite a fun movie though i wish there was a bit less comedy and more action (that can be said for a lot of kung fu comedies lol). The fight choreography was some of the best ive seen in a long time but the fights were too short.

Boxer from Shantung

I have bit mixed feelings for that..for most part movie is extremely entertaining.But I think very end it goes over the top.Chen Kuan Tai characted should have died lot sooner thing he crawls around and kills enemies after receiving wounds enough to take down 12 men is ridiculous.

But it still leaves quite nice impression as very last bad guy is hacked to pieces by Iron Fists friends:angel:

i saw "my young auntie" 2 days ago. it had some entertaining fight scenes and kara hui looks hot in that movie. IMO, it is worth a watch (lau ka leung was both director and actor for this movie).

Rendezvous with Death (Dir. Sun Chung) - Interesting but didn't win me over. The lead wields a big cloth umbrella, which rather detracts from the proceedings.

The Tigress of Shaolin - Kung fu comedy with Kara Hui. Pretty average.

The Golden Lion (Dir. Ho Meng-hua) - 84 minutes long but felt much longer. Very gritty except for the OTT fight scenes.

The Flying Mr. B - Typical 80's comedy from Wong Jing; mostly watchable.

I just watched 'Human Lanterns' for the first time, its the first "horror" film I have seen from Shaw Bros. Is there any other movies from Shaw Bros like this ?

kungpowmaster

I have Black Magic on the way, I bought it from Amazon. I have Seeding of a Ghost, but haven't watched it yet, haven't seen Black Magic before either.

But the best Shaw I saw recently(last night) is King Boxer. So far, this has to be my fave Shaw film I have seen(not too many), and maybe my fave MA film overall, as I type this. I used to think 5 Deadly Venoms was my fave, but I think this beats that one out, for me.

But the best Shaw I saw recently(last night) is King Boxer. So far, this has to be my fave Shaw film I have seen(not too many), and maybe my fave MA film overall, as I type this. I used to think 5 Deadly Venoms was my fave, but I think this beats that one out, for me.

you might want to check out Chinese Boxer and Thunderbolt Fist also..they are not far in choreography and style from King Boxer(at least I think so)

I watched 7 Man Army again the other night, and I love this one.

Great epic scope (for a Shaw movie), with lots of extras and big battle scenes. On the martial arts front, I like seeing the bayonette in use. Although I haven't seen it firsthand and don't think it's that common, I understand that some kung fu styles and teachers in the 20th century added bayonette techniques to their styles, based on their experiences with it in combat.

As to the movie, it reminded me quite a bit of Anonymous Heroes. I loved all the flashbacks to get the backstory of each of the heroes, and how that played into their current situation. This movie is Cheng Cheh turned up to '10'---you have to suspend your disbelief and just enter Cheng Cheh's heroic bloodshed universe. If you're the type of person that would ask "why do the hundreds of Japanese troops try to fight the 7 Chinese guys with bayonettes and swords, instead of just shooting them?" or "how could a guy take a mortal wound to the gut, tie their coat around the wound, and still kill about 100 more people before he dies?" or "How could somebody die while they're still standing up?", then this isn't the movie for you. :wink:

... But the best Shaw I saw recently(last night) is King Boxer. So far, this has to be my fave Shaw film I have seen(not too many), and maybe my fave MA film overall, as I type this. I used to think 5 Deadly Venoms was my fave, but I think this beats that one out, for me.

:laluot_06:

Outside my love for BL films, this is the one!

8 diagram pole fighter.Been 4-5 years since saw it last time.And it was as great as I remembered it is.Opening is one of the best in kung-fu films and rest of movie great too...Actually this was 1st time for me with subtitles and again subs make much more sense dubs

Sigh,if LKL had made more movies like this:sad:

kungpowmaster

Last night I watched:

Black Magic.

I really liked this. I watched the dub track, which was well done, but the audio was not so hot.

I have a feeling I've seen this before in the past, but I am not sure.

Either way, I really liked this, and want to see more Shaw Horror.

I have Seeding of a Ghost that I haven't gotten too.

Is there a simple list of the Shaw Horror titles, so I can look them up?

I was pleasantly surprised with "to kill a jaguar"...it does include some nice fight,guy in the end is good kicker.And storyline far better than thought from beginning,hero was not what he 1st seemed to appear.

There is wang lung wei also but he is not given much to do.

Last night i watched The Kung Fu Instructor by Sun Chung.

I Loved this movie, Simple but compelling story about a man caught between two rivaling clans.The tone of the movie was almost like a old wetsern movie.

Everything was great about this movie, the polefighting was top-notch, great training sequences, great cast and sets... This one definitely is one of my new favorites.

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

The Golden Knight is a good film. I forget the male leads name, he's not in that many of the Shaw martial arts flicks, but if I remember correctly he's paired up with Pei Pei? I'll have to check this one out again.

Archived