The Best Shaw Film You've Seen Recently Is...

HAZ

For me, its "Cave Of The Silken Web". The Image disc was pretty good. Subs were easy to read & the picture was fine. I loved the sets, the women, the monkey king. The whole thing was such fun. On the strength of this I would check out the other "Journey To The West" adaptations & more discs in the Image collection. I think I'll pick up their dvd of "Heaven & Hell" next!

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"Heaven & Hell" next!

I guess I prolly keep that dvd forever in my collection but very likely never gonna watch it again..or at least not without being intoxicated!!!!!

Definitely "Five Element Ninjas". People have raved about it on this board since I joined a few years ago, and I can honestly say it was way better than I imagined.

Great film with Chan Hung-lieh in the lead role. Film has a dark atmostphere as most of the film takes place at night. I recommend this along with Black Tavern as two of the better releases for 2007.

The Pirate. Is there ANYONE better than Ti Lung? I don't think so. The film looks like it was made around the time of Blood Brothers. Same make-up and similar costumes. :)

What Price Honesty, Pai Piao was badass, and Sun Chien had a nice meaty roll for once.

Just recently had the pleasure of viewing this film. IT ROCKS!!! Man, the prison scene where they go "all out" on Pai Piao, man... :( Haven't seen that before, maybe on HBO'S OZ, that's about as close as it gets!

"legend of the fox" I guess is not considered among best venoms film but I was pleased with it.

I saw this recently as well. The best part was the fight choreography. It's damn near flawless, up there with Sword Stained With Royal Blood. I always enjoy Chin Siu Ho's performances as well, so nothing bad about this movie.

Another I saw recently was Killer Clans. I liked it a lot for the plot and the constant double crossing, plus it had some of the best sets and visuals I've seen in a Shaw movie. Thumbs up.

• Administrator

DELIGHTFUL FOREST was a terrific surprise. Ti Lung as a righteous, but rough-edged hero. He was his usual super cool self. The entire bloody ending got an immediate, full 2nd viewing.

Rewatched some of the new R1 Shaws releases;

Challenge Of The Masters

Human Lanterns

Come Drink With Me

The Master

All CLASSICS!

Last Shaws I watched were a slew of those Lu Chi sex comedies. Um, they were alright... good, probably not. For classics, Soul Of The Sword got a rewatch last, now that's good!

I watched House of Traps again. It's been the end of 2007 since I last viewed it from IVL.

This may not be a top five venom film (or even a top 10), but I've got to say that out of all of their flicks, this one has the sharpest, tightest coreography. There aren't really any drawn out fights until the finale, but we're treated to about 7-8 mini fights.

I think Rebel Intruders, Magnificent Ruffians, Flag of Iron, and Masked Avengers are close, but they aren't quite where House of Traps is in the fighting style. Shaolin Rescuers and Kid with the Golden Arm felt real lackluster in the coreography department- I need to view them again.

It's the same evolution that happened with Lau Kar Leung that came to a conclusion with 8 Diagram Pole Fighter, Disciples of the 36th Chamber, and Martial Arts of Shaolin.

It makes me wonder what would have happened if they had kept making movies for Shaw.

Archived