Monkey Kung Fu (1979)

Endsang

Anyone seen the shaw movie Monkey Kung Fu who can comment on it? I was wondering if I should get it because the trailer looked really promising, but I've never heard of it and figured I'd run it by you guys first. Should be worth it just to see a young Ching Siu-Tung in action though. :)

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i suppose most ppl (who like their gung with lots of nice staccato shapes and acrobatic craziness) have seen it.

to me its a long time companion from way back, so im lovin it for sentimental reasons, for the comedy elements being quite bearable, for the wicked choreo, non-stop action and just a great fun time overall. lo mar`s best! a must have if u dig kf-comedies.

aw dude, you oughtta get this one & quick, before it "happens" to go out of print!! it's way awesome!!! like most, of this style, it's got a fair share of comedy.so as long as you're ok with that, then i'd imagine it'll soon become one of your favorites!!

ironfistedmonk

I agree with jmungus it's Lo Mar's best film, loads of great action especially from Kuan Feng with his pole work, It's well worth getting mate

The Amazing Psycho Per

To me this movie is kind of a mixed bag... If you want lots, LOTS of fights, then this movie is for you. The fight choreo is very good, but, this may sound weird, there are too much fights for my taste. I can't believe I just said that! But at one point I just stopped caring. I don't think there are more then 5 minutes straight without a fight, so as you can imagine you can forget anything ressembling a plot, it's very very thin. But to see a young Ching Siu Tung in action and if you want non-stop kung fu fighting, but don't care about the lack of a plot, then it's worth checking out. If you've seen Five superfighters from the same director then you know what to expect, but with more fights.

The Amazing Psycho Per

There is a plot and a much better one than what was in FIVE SUPERFIGHTERS, IMO. The finale of MONKEY KUNG FU is one of the most awesome displays of action I've ever seen.

I thought this movie was most definitely an attempt by Shaws to do a Golden Harvest-style comedy, and I'm more partial to the serious Shaw plots and fights scenes. But that being said, I thought it was a very GOOD Golden Harvest imitation---lots of great looking fights, good story, and the nice Shaw production values.

Ordered the IVL version just now. Can't wait till it gets here (Takes 2 months usually).

5 Superfighters will probably be in my next order.

Chinatown Kid

I love these Shaw films like Monkey Kung Fu, 5 Superfighters and The Master, you never get bored because there's a fight at least ever 5 minutes and the choreography is great! :D

Guest FiveSwords

Simply put...If you are looking to build even a semi-serious collection of Classic Kung Fu movies, you MUST have this title in your library.

Guest D_Davis

This and 5 Super Fighters are both awesome. As someone has already said, there is almost too much action in Monkey Kung Fu. It has an insane amount of action.

Slice of Death is an aka for Abbot of Shaolin starring David Chiang. Stroke of Death is the aka for Monkey Kung Fu.

Ah, my mistake. I thought I'd heard of it having an AKA and wanted to be sure.

Archived