The Young Vagabond

HAZ

Well...Its better than The Tirgress Of Shaolin, but just barely. Its like watching The Benny Hill Show, but with Asians. Features the worst fighting I've seen by Gordon Liu. Its worth 5 bucks, but not more. I'm starting to see why IVL won't be releasing anymore Shaws. Totally nutty. Kinda funny, but in an awful way.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well...Its better than The Tirgress Of Shaolin, but just barely. Its like watching The Benny Hill Show, but with Asians. Features the worst fighting I've seen by Gordon Liu. Its worth 5 bucks, but not more. I'm starting to see why IVL won't be releasing anymore Shaws. Totally nutty. Kinda funny, but in an awful way.

late nite watch, been a little too tired to be able to concentrate 100%.

LOL @ 'benny hill w/ asians' - thats one legit way to sum it up imo.

felt to me as if this was a one last shot attempt to break big into the kf-action market with "updated" classic SB kung fu styles; see if theres still a future for that ol' sb formula with some tweaks to fit the zeitgeist.

the "updating" kills most of the trademark sb spirit and vibes; its like watching some generic mid 80s hk soap opera, only the cast`s the who is who of shaw actors still with the studio, wearing their old costumes and acting in their natural habitat (=>sb lot sound stages).

story was just plain wack, direction uninspired, choreo nothing to write home about.

this epitome of lukewarm and generic makes for an acceptable time killer on rainy days.

i cant decide whether i prefer the disappointing tigress over the lackluster vagabond or not.

both do not come recommended; but imo they still make watchable additions to the movie collections of fu-natics who love the stars and hand to hand hung kuen combat.

I thought the first hour was crap. The last half hour, starting from the attempted bank robbery is pretty damned good in my opinion. Wang Lung Wei is great in this one. The end fight is more hard hitting than usual for Shaw movies. Reminded me a bit of Sammo and Jackie Chans 80s choreography.

I agree with most of the above sentiments, but Wang Lung Wei was the saving grace for me. As usual, the man does not disapoint.

I fast forwarded through a lot of the first half, it was so painful. It became watchable when Pai Piao started teaching Kar-Fai Kung Fu. I thought the fighting was good. I can't decide whether to hang onto this one or not.

For a Gordon Liu movie I expected much better. I havent watched Tigress Of Shaolin, but if, as some are saying, it's worse than Young Vagabond I probably won't bother.

After Gordon learns kung fu this movies does gets better. I watched Vagabond directly after Tigress so I guess that might be why I have good things to say about it. It ticks me off its called Tigress because Kara is barely in it. It should be called Goofballs of Shaolin.

Young Vagabond is terrific.I`m not often that much into comedy but 1st hour I liked lot.It`s very lighthearted,not-over-the-top sillyness.

Then it suddenly changes into very dark,everyone around Begger Su kicks the bucket.

Great end fight and Wang Lung Wei is very sinister villain in this one.

Highly recommended,it should not even be mentioned in same topic with Tigress Of Shaolin:nerd:

Archived