Killer Constable (1980)

Guest kungfusamurai

shaolin swords

love this movie even tho I have not seen it in a long time had it on vhs it was one of those double features had two movies on it and killer constable was one of them great flick

but all the English dubbed versions are bootleg from what I found hope one day it gets a legit release with the English dubbed version

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The R3 IVL/Celestial DVD is the way to go, but you may have to search around for it a bit as it's long out of print. If you look around you can also find a Custom DVD that was made using this version, but that adds the old school English dub. I don't know about that "full-screen version" you mentioned, but you DO NOT want to see this cropped. I saw it that way on VHS long ago and the film deserves better. I do think this has been released on some of those multi-film DVD sets, but it's always that shitty version.

this is the "remastered" version I mentioned:

1074.jpg

Can anyone confirm if its the OAR Celestial print?

• Administrator
this is the "remastered" version I mentioned:

1074.jpg

Can anyone confirm if its the OAR Celestial print?

Usually when this bootleg company says "remastered" it means taken directly from the IVL/Celestial DVD, and using whichever fan's custom with added English dub they can find.

Skeleton Claw

I believe that's the bootleg I got from NYC several years ago which was a "custom" made from the ILV Celestial DVD and syncing the original dub - probably sourced from the old "Lightning Kung Fu" VHS pre-record that came out on the Master Arts label back in the 80s. Decent enough version for dub completists such as myself - at least until something better invariably comes out.

Watched this the weekend I had the pleasure of spending time with KCT with Teako and Jesse Smooth, one of his best, and on my top ten SB list, nasty gritty brutal gem of a movie!

• Administrator
Watched this the weekend I had the pleasure of spending time with KCT with Teako and Jesse Smooth, one of his best, and on my top ten SB list, nasty gritty brutal gem of a movie!

You guys are so lucky! :nerd:

Just watched this for the first time. Great movie, very similar in style to another movie I watched recently, Bells of a Death.

The story was good, but the acting was great. Particularly from Ku Feng (as usual) and Chen Kuan Tai, but it was convincing all around. The story Isnt anything crazy, but it is well plotted, and there is a decent twist. It too benefitted from the great tone and feel of the film. The ending is very good, It has a little moral to it, and is quite the downer.

May be the best use of sound and music I have seen (or heard?) in a Shaw Bros movie. From fitting music, to the sound of wind roaring, to the dead silence during some fights, sound was used to great effect here. Atmospheric is a word I feel I have used too often lately, but I also feel it has been fitting. This is another movie where this term can be applied. It's a bleak feeling movie, although it features some gorgeous sets and locations.

Similar to Bells of Death, the fights are made more by their settings and circumstances than the choreography..and that is not a complaint! Fights take place in the ocean, during a muddy storm, and in a dark abandoned house. During the fights, people do desperate things as they struggle for survival, ie throwing mud in each other's face.. That's what makes them great, they feel like they're fighting because they have to, not because it's a kung fu movie, lol. There are also some pretty good brutal scenes, one pretty unforgettable one has Chen Kuan Tai slashing his opponents ligaments. There are a couple pretty well choreographed fancyish-fights (Kwan Yeong Moon, Pai Piao) but they aren't what makes this great.

So, another great, dark, Shaw Wuxia, that puts plot and feel over swordplay. Some very tense moments, solid story, and great acting. Fantastic use of sound, sets and locations. Chen Kuan Tai is awesome as the ruthless chief constable. The fights are good, but are elevated by the great dramatic aspects, and brutality of them. I see why this movie is held in such high regard.

I just watched this one today for the first time, and I have only one word : SUPERB !!

From the beginning to the end, I have nothing to complain. It seems to me that the music during the credits has also been used in Cathay swordplay movies or Taiwanese martial arts movies.

The ending fight is very good. Before posting this, I read all the posts of this thread, and I'd like to see the Korean version of this movie as well as many people here would like to...

Great fights, good plot, and the scenes with Ku Feng's blind daughter and the two men in Ku Feng's house reminded me of similar scenes with Li Ching, Lo Lieh and Li Ching's father in Invincible fist.

Worth watching.

Archived