Killer Constable (1980)

Guest kungfusamurai

That's a fantastically dark and nihilistic film. I have a lobby set for it and one of the cards kind of gives the ending away!

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
gravedigger666

This was spinechilling experience.Somehow I think this movie displays nature of humans very well,even those good ones are cold and brutal.One thing which bit irrates me is CKT is losing to kicker villain and escapes into sea why Mr.Lethalkick followed him into area he cannot use his best weapons?5/5 movie anyway,end was really surprising and bit shock.But it fit overall to atmosphere of movie I almost felt sorry for blind girl.

I'm kind of inclined to agree with some, regardless of how little or much they may know about the genre, that the kung isn't that great in this. It's good, but not that great. It's a little slow, it is, and so far as physicality goes I wouldn't put it right up there. Set-pieces, mood and direction are something else though. They lift it into the echelon. I tried this flick on a group of mates, thought it would slay them. They got it, of course, but the expectation of incredible physicality showed it lacking to me somewhat when you're sat with people expectant. Still agreed it was awesome, but you know... Tone of this film is incredible.

I think that's a case in-so-far as how well made this film is. Things usually more than accepted or rejoiced as incredibly great schlock, kind of stand out off in this one. It's almost too well-made for it. You can wonder why certain elements weren't tweaked, although not care too, regardless as it's uniquely special. Things like that ring-of-hay fire sequence... come along now - 'stop rolling in it, you can jump that, fool!!' I mean in a lesser/or differently scoped kung-film, I'd be like: 'Fuck yeah! Roll in that two foot of fire!!' But like here, you know... Why's the face, but not the hair burnt. Take the pads out for that cut-to already arrowed shot. That chimney kiln would have cooked him, etc...

But that's all inconsequential, nothing else like this one. I see it's special, but it's not that special. If you get what I'm saying... It's one of the best, I can see, but so far as favourites go not for me, I like many others plenty more, but I love this genre and in respect I love this film. Get me? I get it objectively. Subjectively, it's alright. Things that would never bother me, bothered me with this one, just because it's too good. Cathartic though. Final shot has an emotional weight to it few others match. Great stuff! Blew my mind.

oldeschool17

Spot on. You basically nailed the pros and cons for me of this movie

I'm kind of inclined to agree with some, regardless of how little or much they may know about the genre, that the kung isn't that great in this. It's good, but not that great. It's a little slow, it is, and so far as physicality goes I wouldn't put it right up there. Set-pieces, mood and direction are something else though. They lift it into the echelon. I tried this flick on a group of mates, thought it would slay them. They got it, of course, but the expectation of incredible physicality showed it lacking to me somewhat when you're sat with people expectant. Still agreed it was awesome, but you know... Tone of this film is incredible.

I think that's a case in-so-far as how well made this film is. Things usually more than accepted or rejoiced as incredibly great schlock, kind of stand out off in this one. It's almost too well-made for it. You can wonder why certain elements weren't tweaked, although not care too, regardless as it's uniquely special. Things like that ring-of-hay fire sequence... come along now - 'stop rolling in it, you can jump that, fool!!' I mean in a lesser/or differently scoped kung-film, I'd be like: 'Fuck yeah! Roll in that two foot of fire!!' But like here, you know... Why's the face, but not the hair burnt. Take the pads out for that cut-to already arrowed shot. That chimney kiln would have cooked him, etc...

But that's all inconsequential, nothing else like this one. I see it's special, but it's not that special. If you get what I'm saying... It's one of the best, I can see, but so far as favourites go not for me, I like many others plenty more, but I love this genre and in respect I love this film. Get me? I get it objectively. Subjectively, it's alright. Things that would never bother me, bothered me with this one, just because it's too good. Cathartic though. Final shot has an emotional weight to it few others match. Great stuff! Blew my mind.

Well I have a dilemma here.

This might be my favorite Shaw title (if not, its very close) and I would love to have the english dub.

It looks like my only choice is to buy the Pan Media copy,:mad:, which I really dont want to do because it goes against my principles.

Is the Pan Media dvd satisfactory? Or does anyone have a copy with the dub for trade?

What to do!

Hey thanks, but Shaw films that are "full screen" is almost a bigger crime than unlicensed dvds.

Guess I'll stick with the IVL.

Happy Thanksgiving everybody.

Well I have a dilemma here.

This might be my favorite Shaw title (if not, its very close) and I would love to have the english dub.

It looks like my only choice is to buy the Pan Media copy,:mad:, which I really dont want to do because it goes against my principles.

Is the Pan Media dvd satisfactory? Or does anyone have a copy with the dub for trade?

What to do!

Buy the english dub version on VHS, don't support the boots!

The Silver Fox

"I hope that you do have a good lawyer. If he is not doing what you think he should or if in this case he is pushing a plea - find another lawyer. You'll need to go to trial so you're going to need a lawyer you can count on. I paid for a private attorney for my son and I would have done just as good with a court appointed one I'm sure. The key is finding someone who really wants to defend you and not just settle for what the court offers. "

Hey, that's great advice. I love how it ties in perfectly with movie reviews for 'Killer Constable'.

Atmosphere is very dark and CKT is great antihero.I like the surprise ending so much:smile:.

Pity about blind girl though:angel:

I honestly think Killer Constable is the best Shaw film of their later era 1975-1985. I think it should be regarded as a classic of Hong Kong Cinema.

Just watched this the other night - now that's what I'm talking about! Nothing better than a blood soaked free for all Shaw, man they don't make them like this anymore, and that ending I did not see coming! Loved CKT and Ku Feng's faceoff in front of his blind daughter. Solid 9 out of 10 on this one.

I've had this movie for over a year now and still haven't watched it. You guys are certainly tempting me to give it a go. such high praise!

• Administrator
Just watched this the other night - now that's what I'm talking about! Nothing better than a blood soaked free for all Shaw, man they don't make them like this anymore, and that ending I did not see coming!

You said it man! I really enjoyed this. It actually caused me to gasp a few times, and that doesn't happen much anymore after everything I've seen. :nerd:

I've had this movie for over a year now and still haven't watched it. You guys are certainly tempting me to give it a go. such high praise!

I first saw this on VHS back in the '80s. I remember digging it, but not much else. I bought the IVL DVD the second it was available. But somehow I wound up sitting on it until last year. Holy mackeral! Drunken Monk- get your favorite jug of wine and plant yourself in front of your TV immediately. And that's an order from Dr. Kung Fu Bob! :bigsmile:

I first saw this on VHS back in the '80s. I remember digging it, but not much else. I bought the IVL DVD the second it was available. But somehow I wound up sitting on it until last year. Holy mackeral! Drunken Monk- get your favorite jug of wine and plant yourself in front of your TV immediately. And that's an order from Dr. Kung Fu Bob! :bigsmile:

Consider it done, doc!

Anyone see the movie Killer Constable? I saw the very ending of it on El-rey network and it looked pretty awesome. Just wanted some opinions, it's very hard to get on dvd.

Definitely recommended, if u like dark and mean spirited no joke Shaw Wuxia.

Has a bit of that "japanese touch" and a very bleak kind of vibe.

IMO its director Kuei Chi Hung`s best. That being said, i dont consider him a very good director for the most part (have watched almost all of his 1974-83 movies plus Bamboo HoD, Delinquent & Lady Professional), but sometimes even he`d strike gold.

This is one of those. Compares to the darker, more twisted, violent and hopeless themed SB swordplay flicks.

Morgoth Bauglir

This movie is perfection. I just got the custom English dubbed remastered version and of course I had to rewatch it for like the 30th time. The final fight is a rush, and the rest of the movie is even better. It's filmed so beautifully. This movie is all about atmosphere. So many unforgettable images.

jmungus nice to see you popping up here again lately!

Yeah man this film is the bomb, as stated earlier in the thread, this is dark & brutal.

Has 3 of my fave Shaw actors in CKT, Ku Feng and Pai Piao [as im going through my Shaws, he is now starting to stand out for me in the latter days of the Shaws; This, Lady Assassin, Deadly Secret, What Price Honesty, Shaolin Intruders, Gang Master etc ]

Highly recommended :bigsmile:

Also id check out What Price Honesty if you like Killer Constable..

jmungus nice to see you popping up here again lately!

Cheers, dude.

Hard to imagine anyone would even remember me :tongue:

Ya know, the job, family, other interests, the works.... so many things to do plus after so many years steady on the fu-craze it was about time to give the stuff a lil rest (from like 5-10 MA flicks a week to 1 or 2 /month for the last 2 or so years).

Lately I`ve started to go through my big ass SB catalogue again and spin the very-late-nite-indie-fu-gem again more often.

Last night I`d even enjoy a MA double feature :bigsmile: (Rurouni Kenshin Kyoto Inferno + Thunderclap)

Happy 2015 to all yall KF Killer Constables :wink:

the only DVD I see available is the US "remastered" version, which is grey market at best I think?

the listings say it is full screen, so I assume its not a straight rip of the Celestial version?

is it worth getting?

Morgoth Bauglir

Any version is worth getting. But for my personal preference the remastered English dub is the way to go. FYI this movie is also called Lightning Kung Fu. But I would describe the kung fu as more of a soft but roaring thunder.

• Administrator
Cheers, dude.

Hard to imagine anyone would even remember me :tongue:

Ya know, the job, family, other interests, the works.... so many things to do plus after so many years steady on the fu-craze it was about time to give the stuff a lil rest (from like 5-10 MA flicks a week to 1 or 2 /month for the last 2 or so years).

Lately I`ve started to go through my big ass SB catalogue again and spin the very-late-nite-indie-fu-gem again more often.

Morgoth isn't the only one who remembers you- welcome back!

the only DVD I see available is the US "remastered" version, which is grey market at best I think?

the listings say it is full screen, so I assume its not a straight rip of the Celestial version?

is it worth getting?

The R3 IVL/Celestial DVD is the way to go, but you may have to search around for it a bit as it's long out of print. If you look around you can also find a Custom DVD that was made using this version, but that adds the old school English dub. I don't know about that "full-screen version" you mentioned, but you DO NOT want to see this cropped. I saw it that way on VHS long ago and the film deserves better. I do think this has been released on some of those multi-film DVD sets, but it's always that shitty version.

Archived