Killer Constable (1980)

Guest kungfusamurai

"house of traps"was my fav Shaw Bros flick seen this year,but killer constable is definitely superior.Love the very moody atmosphere film has,headchoppings&thing everyone is killed without mercy&the scene in mud where Killer Constable raises sword high above his head gives film kinda lone wolf&cub feeling.

gonna watch it now again:)

edit..ok,he gives chance for life to killer who uses poison darts though..

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I believe this was a co-production between Shaw and Korea which would account for the different scenes. I think there were other co-pros but I couldn't tell you what they were.

ahh, interesting. That would definently account for the nice scenery

Morgoth Bauglir

Yeah I may be being too modest. I am not very good at complimenting myself.

Somebody needs to upload this alternate ending on youtube!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!

few weeks ago when browsed through forum(by then KC was unseen)I saw someone complained sets(maybe costumes were mentioned also) look cheap or sth...I have to disagree,they look very cool and realistic.and use of colours is superb,lots of brown,black and darker shade of yellow instead of bright ones.fits to overal bleak mood extremely well.

I would too be interested of seeing(+buying) happy end version but surely as it stands now is more proper considering sad atmosphere of movie.

mewantstoseemoremoviesofthisquality:)

Morgoth Bauglir

You may be talking about me Iron Jinon. I thought everything about the movie was beatuiful. The sets, costumes, fights, cinematography, acting, directing... But I thought the set where the final fight took place in looked cheap in comparison to everything else in the movie. It is a very minor gripe.

You may be talking about me Iron Jinon. I thought everything about the movie was beatuiful. The sets, costumes, fights, cinematography, acting, directing... But I thought the set where the final fight took place in looked cheap in comparison to everything else in the movie. It is a very minor gripe.

It's the choreography that matters, I agree it's very minor, look at Legendary Weapons' ending :P

Morgoth Bauglir
It's the choreography that matters

That is true for most kung fu movies, but not Killer Constable. Choreography is just one of the many things that makes KC so great.

Choreography is just one of the many things that makes KC so great.

True. For me, if the film has little or no story, then it falls on the action to be entertaining but KC has it all.

Morgoth Bauglir

Yeah, and just to single out the final fight, the choreography is probably only the 3rd or 4th best thing about it. Chen Kuan Tai is so badass when he puts Yuen Wah's sword under his arm to try and win the fight. Amazing stuff.

I'm so glad they didn't use the red screens for the dvd. The Master Arts tape didn't have them but the dvds for HEROES TWO and CRIPPLED AVENGERS still have them in those films so when KC was announced, I was crossing my fingers this disc wouldn't contain them. The interview on one of the discs was still not quite clear (at least to me) as to why those screens were used in the first place aside from obscuring violence. Sometimes there's nothing really bloody going on and the screen flashes red anyway.

The only thing I disagree on with KC is I never thought of the set used in the finale as cheap looking. Considering the commanders position, I assume it was a gathering room where he could inspect the thralls if necessary and considering how sticklers for accuracy the Shaw's tended to be, it was probably very close to the way it would have really looked.

Morgoth Bauglir

I still have to see the remaastered version, but the final set bugged me just a teeny bit. Perhaps it looks better with crystal clear pic quality.

And I liked the red screens in Heroes Two. I thought it was a nice touch. But I remember it bugging me in some other movies.

When you see the remastered disc, you'll see the film in a new light. Like many others it's like seeing it for the first time. You better get it before it gets gone!

Morgoth Bauglir

I will get it in a trade sometime. Don't talk about it anymore, it makes me sad I don't have it:p;) Since you talk about the good guys (if you can call them that) being manchus in your review, I am guessing that Celestial used the uncut print, because I don't think that scene was in the Brentwood/BCI version. I can't wait to see it remastered.

I will get it in a trade sometime. Don't talk about it anymore, it makes me sad I don't have it:p;) Since you talk about the good guys (if you can call them that) being manchus in your review, I am guessing that Celestial used the uncut print, because I don't think that scene was in the Brentwood/BCI version. I can't wait to see it remastered.

Which scene are you referring Morgoth? I didn't know Brentwood released this. It must have been the Master Arts release which itself was a bootleg too, yes? The celestial release has minor bits here and there that are missing from the dubbed MA release or these could simply be a result of the widescreen framing. I'll have to watch it again but I remember seeing some brief extensions of some scenes not in the VHS tape.

Morgoth Bauglir

The scene where the guy with the boots (the ones his wife made for him) talks about why all the homeless looking people don't look at them nicely. he says it is because they are Manchus, and tthe homeless looking people are Hans. The Brentwood version was cut by about 7 minutes I believe. It was in a 10-pack under the title Lighting Kung Fu. I remember seeing reviews of people complaining about how the kung fu wasn't all that good. i got a good laugh reading those reviews.

The MA tape I had was under the title LIGHTNING KUNG FU and it's the same as the IVL save for a few extra frames here and there. Also, both are minus the red screens that were on the version that played here on tv under the odd title KARATE EXTERMINATORS.

If you like this movie you should definitely see WHAT PRICE HONESTY. It's a perfect companion movie to KC. I have a review I did when it came out but it's more of a detailed description of the entire film and gives too much away.

Morgoth Bauglir

I usually only skim over reviews of movies I haven't seen. I have heard some really good things about What Price Honesty. I think it is Peringaten I remember talking about it VERY highly. Him and other people. I LOVE dark movies.

I usually only skim over reviews of movies I haven't seen. I have heard some really good things about What Price Honesty. I think it is Peringaten I remember talking about it VERY highly. Him and other people. I LOVE dark movies.

It's actually quite possibly DARKER than KC. I have the lobby set and poster for it. I would post the review but it gives far too much away. I'll probably edit it. I was really surprised at how good it was especially considering the director did THE FIGHTING FOOL(!)

Morgoth Bauglir

Just watched the remastered version of KC. I can't believe how much I was missing. The place where the final fight takes place in does look a lot better, but more importanly I can actually see whats going on in that night fight with Kwan Young Moon and Lee Chun Hwa. I didn't think this movie could get any better but man was I wrong.

And I just watched What Price Honesty. Great dark ending. I like that movie a lot. Thnaks for the flicks venoms5. :)

hi--i have the english dub version with the sad ending. QUESTION--was there ever a dub version of the happy ending ? just curious.

And I just watched What Price Honesty. Great dark ending.

i remember there was an interesting discussion going on at KFF regarding this title, as opinions would range from 'rather weak' to 'extremely hot' afair.

with all those fresh impressions in your head, its maybe worth your while searching the board for said thread (in the SB section).

i liked WPH quite a bit as well.

Archived