Killer Constable (1980)

Guest kungfusamurai

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest GwaiLoMoFo

Finally got my IVL disc in the mail and watched it last nite. Film kicks mucho arse, still one of my all-time favs. Love the darker fu flicks!

Guest rindge

I finally got of my butt and ordered and watched some films. Most people who are familiar with this film probably have the vhs which is a really clean copy. Probably one of the better vhs copies of any shaw film that I have. As someone else mentioned the dvd allowed for crisper night scenes, which was definitely a drawback from the vhs.

After all of these years this movie still moves me. CKT was relentless in the ending fight scene. You also have got to give props to the bodyguard. The biggest plus for me was actually having a copy with subtitles and chinese language as I am not a big fan of dubs.

For those of you on the sideline - pick this movie up, I am sure you will enjoy.

Guest Markgway

I watched Killer Constable last night - excellent film btw - and there's a few faces I couldn't put names to (probably Korean) and a few names (also Korean) I couldn't put faces too.

Unmatched names:

Kim Sa Ok

Kim Ji Yeong

Im Hae Rim

Kim Ki Jong

Jo Jae Seong

Guest Markgway

Finally saw this one... and it was SUPERB!!!

I didn't think it was cheap looking at all. Kuei Chih Hung did wonders with the imagery, and I actually feel this is one of the best looking Shaw Bros films I've seen.

Guest falkor

It's a HK film or co-production, but with extra footage for the Korean market, so perhaps this is why you cannot match the faces.

Guest morgoth

I don't know where you come up with it looking good. It is supposed to be dirty and have realism. And the place where the endfight takes place in is cheap looking. But still, this is my favorite Shaws movie. What is the running time?

Guest Markgway

A few of the characters I wasn't sure about...

Tsun Yi - Chen Kuan Tai's Brother

Tsui Hsin - The officer who was due to get married

Yueh Wu Kuai - The first bandit, married to Hsia Ping.

Guest vengeanceofhumanlanterns
Tsun Yi - Chen Kuan Tai's Brother

I'd seen this guy in films bygone. I definitely recognize hime from flicks we know. I just was never impelled to look him up.

Markgway, have you received The Fastest Sword yet?

Guest morgoth

Hell yeah it was, but when you say that it is not cheap looking at all, I have to disagree with you because the set the final fight is done on looks super cheap.

Guest Markgway

It was low budget, maybe, but I think the director made the best of it. Calling it cheap-looking, I FEEL, is unfair. But we all see something different... It's just entered my SHAW BROS top ten.

Guest Chia Ling AKA Judy Lee

Perhaps my indie upbringing has warped my mind, but I didn't think any of this film looked cheap or budget, the last scene included. Sure the set was a little bare, but it seemed authentic and framed the action well.

Guest Markgway

Chia Ling raises a valid point.

When I think of cheap, I think of those indie films where the most expensive thing on camera is the sticky-on eyebrows.

Ordered early June from CD-wow, got it this week (finally!) and have to agree mostly with Markway. This is a strong movie, very well photographed. There are really a lot of very beautiful shots. Worth rewatching.

Guest vengeanceofhumanlanterns
When I think of cheap, I think of those indie films where the most expensive thing on camera is the sticky-on eyebrows.

Markgway, are you referring to the kind of sticky-on eyebrows that you see in flicks like Of Cooks And Kung Fu? :D

Guest Markgway
So you don't think the set where the last fight took place was cheap looking?

It didn't strike me as such. I may have been too "into" the movie to notice.

Markgway, are you referring to the kind of sticky-on eyebrows that you see in flicks like Of Cooks And Kung Fu?

Oh, don't get Morgoth started again................ :eek

Guest peringaten

I thought the location of the finale was great. Really etched into my mind. I thought it looked spacious and grand - the sparsity and grandly minimal design really highlighted the action for me.

Just curious - did you see the remastered version Morgoth? Maybe the old Lightnin' copy doesn't fully do it justice?

Sparse - yes.

Cheap - not really.

Guest morgoth

Yeah I have full screen uncut version. The set for the final fight feels extremely cheap compared to the other places where fights take place. Pai Paio's fight was beautiful, as was Ku Feng's, but the most stunning shot of the whole movie has to be when San Kwai is sitting that huge staircase. I just didn't like the final set. I thought it should have had some sort of decorations to it or something to make it seem more real.

I thought it should have had some sort of decorations to it

Like a Christmas Tree?? I'm only teasing!!

I don't think it looked cheap, it was nice to see a spacious set free of elaborate clutter. The perfect place for the final showdown I thought.

Archived