Killer Constable (1980)

Guest kungfusamurai

Guest kungfusamurai

I bought the Master Arts Video VHS just to check out this film. The thing I noticed about this is how low budget this flick is. Was this an independent production that Shaw Brothers bought the license to distribute? I did recognize at least one Shaw set piece - that long set of stairs from Executioners From Shaolin. I also found the choreography sub par for a Shaw production. I mean, what was the point of having Kwan Young Moon running into the water to fight Chen Kwan Tai? The guy was a kicker. Didn't he know its harder to kick in the water than on land? I was also disappointed at how the film under-utilized big name guys like Chiang Tao and Dick Wei.

I'm almost finished the film. I'm hoping it has a good ending. I haven't read about it, so my bet is either Chen Kwan Tai dies or has some kind of epiphany to change his Dirty Harry ways.

KFS

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Kwok Choi

Well I hate to admit it because many fans here rate this movie highly but I have never liked or enjoyed Killer Constables even in all its glory on the big screen.I think the hype ruined it for me and boy o' boy was this movie super hyped on release or what?.I have to say I like the original poster,the opening scene and the end fight apart from this,if you like dark atmospheric " Bride With White Hair " type of cinematography and Ku Feng then this movie is for you.

Guest morgoth

"Does it have a good ending?"

:D

I thought this was one of Dick Wei's better roles in a Shaw Brother's movie. He has a good speech when they are talking about the chief constable. And Kwan Yeong Moon's scene wasn't great but it was still cool.

Guest limubai2000

I think the low budget actually helped the film because it made the film smaller in scope. Hence it was more "intimate" and added some bleakness, the film wasn't an epic that would have ruined it. It works the way it is and didn't need anything to help it get better.

I think it is that much better because it is so depressing and dark compared to most other Shaws.

Guest vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Great film. Chen Kuan tai and Pai Pao's scenes worked perfectly as well as did Ku Feng and Chen Kuan Tai's at Ku's home and during their final battle in the rain. Grisly, dark, desperate, deceitful, and hopeless. Just like everyday life.

Guest Chia Ling AKA Judy Lee

Best Shaw Bros film Ive seen, maybe best film. I didnt think it was particularly cheap looking, it is very realistic looking IMO. Perhaps the fact it was mainly shot outdoors might make you think this, but some of the sets they created were magnificent, such as that derelict house on the water front. I cant find many flaws in this film.

Just because Kwan Young Moon happens to be a very good kicker as an actor, it doesnt mean that he should always play a character that kicks. This is a real film, not one that was written to exploit the strengths of whatever cast the directors could find at the time.

Guest kungfusamurai

I finished watching the film and found it overall disappointing. There was the occasional good fight, like the one between Chen Kwan Tai and Yuen Wah, but those good ones tended to be too short! I also noticed how hammy the acting is in the film. The first scene between Ku Feng and his blind daughter was overly melodramatic and laughable. Killer Constable was quite disappointing considering the hype its been getting. I hope the Celestial version will make it seem better.

KFS

I had to stop eating my lunch to reply. KFS, it is too bad you don't like the film. From my perspective, One of the best shaws and one of the best acting jobs by Kuan Tai. Before reading your post I had never though about the sets. Many of us are used to (and appreciate) the magnificent Shaw sets. Hell the sets are part of the reason I even bother with these flicks. The outdoor scenes sans sets didn't bother me at all - the locations were somewhat bleak looking - maybe how it would have actually looked at that time period in chinese history. The sets that I do recall - the old monestary where he dealt with Piao and the ending scene at the capital - were fantastic in terms of setting the mood.

The plot was not overly unique, but the execution and twist at the end were great. I'm not sure if your lack of appreciation of the fighting stems from the fact that this is a sword films vs hand to hand combat. Sometimes that turns me off with the Chu Yuan films. But the fights they had were great - did you not like the ending fight scene where the bodyguard fought to the end to protect his boss. I remember seeing this movie in the theatre back in Boston with my brother-in law. That was many moons ago, but I still remember his comments about that last fight scene and the bodyguard - "if you have a bodyguard that is the type of loyalty you want." That guy would not give up.

The movie was dark and gritty, but hey that is what the plot was all about. As someone else posted - that's life for you. I love this film!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For me this movie had the perfect blend of acting chops, good fighting, and scenery that more than did the job. Killer constable is one my highest rated shaw films and I am anxiously waiting for the DVD.

Rindge

Guest morgoth

The movie is somewhat cheap for a Shaw Brothers movie. BUT Kuan Tai did have those sweet clothes on at the start:b , and it is mainly outdoors so it just adds to the realness of the film. The fights are all good but what happens before them is the best. Like when Kuan Tai shows how rithless he is telling them to take Kwan Yeong Moon's head after Moon did what he said. Also Ku Feng's scene is my favorite in the movie slightly ahead of Jason Pai Paio's and the end. I thought he was overdoing it a bit at when he first entered the scene but it was still a good introduction. The greatest part was when he came home and has to hide the fact that he has been sliced across the chest and arm a few times. The rest of the scene is magic and while the girl only had basically a cameo, she performed the scene as good as it could have been done. Though I agree with another that I can find no flaws in the film, there actually is a single problem that cannot be overlooked. How did Kuan Tai survive the scorpion dart? My answer is he was just really really tough.:D

I have known this movie for a long time in the full screened decent pic quality version and watching itremastered will certainly make it a whole new movie. I believe my version is 98 minutes long so I would hope they release it uncut.

Guest Reincarnation Of Thundering Mantis

Pai Piao and Chen Kuan Tai are fighting on a huge sun dial in a darkened temple.

The scene towards the end with the swordsman on one knee in the fog. The rain starts, causing the fog to lift revealing the aftermath of the battle.

Really poetic imagery.

I give it two thumbs and two big toes up. I had this on vhs poor quality and threw it away when celestial started putting out dvd's. From what I remember it was a good movie and the ending will trip you out, I just wasnt expecting that at all.

The look was due soley because of the tape. It's the only Shaw I've seen that doesn't quite look like a Shaw. Somehow the company that put that tape out maneged to do that.

I echo Reincar. and Ridge's comments. Beautiful film with a different feel(due to the film maker).

Guest kungfusamurai

I hope the film does look better when Celestial puts it out. I don't know if that will improve the cheesy melodramatic scenes. I thought it was kind of funny how Chen Kwan Tai's character kept getting stabbed and slashed and yet by the next scene he was moving normally like nothing had happened. Most kung fu movie characters would have died with just one of those wounds. It would make a great drinking game...

KFS

Guest sevenhooks
The first scene between Ku Feng and his blind daughter was overly melodramatic and laughable.

Not sure how much of a John Woo fan you are, but I've pointed out before that the scene between Ku Feng, Chen Kuan Tai and the blind girl was blatantly ripped off by John Woo a few years later for The Killer.

John motherf##king Woo - the undisputed king of melodramatics.

Guest Chia Ling AKA Judy Lee
How did Kuan Tai survive the scorpion dart?

I kind of hoped this discontinuity error was due to a cut. Obviously he is tough as hell as well, but still.

Guest Iron Boat

Not sure how much of a John Woo fan you are, but I've pointed out before that the scene between Ku Feng, Chen Kuan Tai and the blind girl was blatantly ripped off by John Woo a few years later for The Killer.

John motherf##king Woo - the undisputed king of melodramatics.

Well I haven't seen the John woo film but That scene was originally rendered in Cheng Cheh's Invincible Fist, which is an earlier version of Killer Constable

Guest Iron Boat

"How did Kuan Tai survive the scorpion dart? "

He may had survived the Scorpion Dart but he didn't do so well with the spear in the cranium >D

Archived