Lu Feng in Masked Avengers

NoNiceTime

Im not anti gay or anything intentionally made Lu Feng gay in this film? I know Chang Cheh is famous for his all male movies and homoerotic outfits but this was the most blatant gayness I've seen in his movies.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Killer Meteor

I think so. Chang Cheh was often attacked for being gay - he insisted he wasn't - so here Lu Feng plays a debauched artisocrat who is gay - most evident in the Zen scene where he sits with his two men whilst everyone else gets a nude babe.

In the other films, it's more male bonding and the whims of the costume designer at work

In the other films, it's more male bonding and the whims of the costume designer at work

Lol, well I could about guarantee the costume designers are gay, but this is a trend that goes with 99% of any fashion designers, you can really tell on some of the old hollywood movies to.

I was wondering the same thing on that scene, maybe it was Cheh's intention to imply he was gay though it would of added nothing to the story(at that point), or better yet maybe it was implyed he was a phedophile as I think they were suppose to be kids by the way their hair was tied up which in turn would of made him a worse person, or maybe they where just meditating as they were'nt in unclosed rooms.

ill post screens of lu feng's characters gayness later on tonite. I mean his 2 servants looked like princess leah's with those cinnabon hairdo's and as killer meteor mentions, in the chamber he's with his man ho's and not with some women like everybody else was.

Killer Meteor

Often the Leia do is worn by young servant characters - such as Jackie Chan in Golden Lotus. Not sure if it's supposed to imply children. It's a lousy do in any case!

or better yet maybe it was implyed he was a phedophile as I think they were suppose to be kids by the way their hair was tied up which in turn would of made him a worse person, or maybe they where just meditating as they were'nt in unclosed rooms.

that seems like a probable reason as well. In House of Traps, Sun Chien has his man servant with the same kind of hairdo. Well either way its a bit peculiar

4537615ecc.jpg

I never saw any gayness in Lu Feng's character. I assumed since he was supposed to be a man of some breeding that these pampering accoutrement's stemmed from that, not any same sex attraction. Those two "boys" were his personal guard. All these movies have them. Feng had two "men" follow him around in RUFFIANS and Lo Lieh had them in his Pai Mei outings (no pun intended) so does that mean they're all gay?

Those that haven't done so should read Chang Cheh's book. He addresses all his supposed cinematic gayness in a chapter in his memoirs.

People will see what they want to see I guess. So many say the spaghetti westerns are filled with gay gunslingers noting some of the same things people interpret/misinterpret in these movies. Are there any TRUE non-homoerotic movies out there?:rolleyes:

Guest lost in ube

Considering how gay characters are portrayed in a lot of Shaw movies (feminine in appearance and action with lots of overt flirting, prancing around with high pitched voices) I doubt Lu Feng's character was supposed to be gay.

The Chinese male kids tied their hair up like that, at the time period, before it was long enough for a ponytail, look at the kid in the beginning of Tiger Killer, or Wong Yu's hair in Executioner from Shaolin.

If you've ever been around the entertainment business there's many gays that work within it, Hong Kong wouldn't be any different, big deal, even if Cheh is strait it don't mean many people that had their hands in the film weren't, including some of the actors.

Hey Oldschool can you get me a screen cap of the piece of art behind the "Co-ed makeout booth"? I believe they give a good strait on view of it.

vengeanceofhumanlanterns
I don't remeber any gay character in Masked Avengers. Maybe I wasn't paying attention.

That's because there aren't any.

The Chinese male kids tied their hair up like that, at the time period, before it was long enough for a ponytail, look at the kid in the beginning of Tiger Killer, or Wong Yu's hair in Executioner from Shaolin.

If you've ever been around the entertainment business there's many gays that work within it, Hong Kong wouldn't be any different, big deal, even if Cheh is strait it don't mean many people that had their hands in the film weren't, including some of the actors.

Hey Oldschool can you get me a screen cap of the piece of art behind the "Co-ed makeout booth"? I believe they give a good strait on view of it.

you talkin about this?

d96cc8b2b0.jpg

I think people look a bit to much into some of these movies. Sit back and enjoy the kung fu. Was Bak Mei gay too becuase he had 2 male servants in Fists of the White Lotus?

Chinatown Kid

I think alot of people mistake Chang Cheh for being gay when in fact I think he was just incredibly macho, portraying men in a nihilistic, bloody way as heroes sacrificing themselves in selfless honor and in the name of justice. If he was actually gay I really don't care, I just know I liked his way of action movie making. Chang denied he was gay right up to his death and I'd like to take the man at his word. :)

No one ever seems to talk about the romanticism between men and women in Chang's movies like THE ASSASSIN, GOLDEN SWALLOW, HAVE SWORD WILL TRAVEL, BLOOD BROTHERS or even DISCIPLES OF SHAOLIN for that matter.

If he was actually gay I really don't care, I just know I liked his way of action movie making.

Exactly.

Thanks Oldschool that's it, I want to remake this.

Righteous Master

This is a funny topic. BTW, what is with the feminine male characters in some kung fu flicks? I have a hard time seeing/believing in a character that is gay and kicks some butt. The one character that comes to mind for me is the possibly gay teacher in The Prodigal Son. I would have to imagine that in that time period a kung fu master who was gay would probably get in twice as many fights as normal because he was gay. I have to wonder if this is or was the original intent of the writers and directors or just another agenda. I could be wrong though.

I have a hard time seeing/believing in a character that is gay and kicks some butt.

Now, ain't that some stereotypical thinking...;-)

The role of females are significantly reduced in these "Heroic Brotherhood" films, sort of like in the comics, where a "hero" typically devoted to his quest/journey/mission.

Remember how people used to say Bruce Wayne and Dick Grayson had something going on? That was for the longest time.

The trouble is that this notion of "romantic" homosocial friendship is rather dated these days. There is this common idea that you've got either a friendship or a romance - and the former is commonly expected to be devoid of any degree of physical (not erotic - just physical...;-)) intimacy as well as excessive displays of emotion... It seems like most people in modern audiences (or at least western modern audiences) usually need at least some time to accept a "romantic friendship" (or any other intense and exclusive homosocial relationship for that matter - like passionate mutual hatred) for what it is instead of seeing it as some kind of implied homoeroticism. And some people apparently cannot (or do not want to) accept the notion of a continuum between social and sexual...;-)

It's not like I am opposed to subversive readings... I think that both "gay" and "just good friends" readings have their charms... (I usually choose the latter, but it's not like I insist) I am just rather sorry about the fact that the concept of "romantic friendship" seems so out of place in our culture these days...

And of course - another shift has occured in the common expectations regarding female characters. When they are marginalized, it is more likely to be seen as a "marked absence" today... Not that I complain, in principle, it is a good thing - but there is something like too much of a good thing, I guess...;-)

I am sort of fascinated with this topic - and Chang Cheh's movies (not all of them, but certainly a lot of them - including some of the most popular and famous ones) are a perfect material in this respect...

No he wasn't gay. The old kung fu movies will have a high-pitch voie and feminine expressions. They were always stereotyped. Last I checked, Lu Feng was a dapper and high-class but otherwise masculine.

Chinatown Kid

If you want to see a gay character look no further than wimpy Paul Wei in Way of the Dragon. Either he was supposed to be gay or a big sissy, or maybe both? Funny thing is Mr. Wei was supposedly quite the ladies man in real life!:cool:

No he wasn't gay. The old kung fu movies will have a high-pitch voie and feminine expressions. They were always stereotyped. Last I checked, Lu Feng was a dapper and high-class but otherwise masculine.

You do realize one does not have to be completely feminine to be gay, right? Homosexuality can encompass any kind of attribute, male or female.

Hey you never know how things were back in the day. Look at the japanese samurai/shogun and the way some of them handled homosexuality.

Back on topic to the movie though. So we've determined those 2 are Lu Feng's servants/bodyguards. Why did Chang Cheh have to dress them up as either kids or to some, a lil feminine? Wouldnt it just be less peculiar if those 2 servants were simply dressed as regular men acting as personal bodyguards as opposed to children or feminine men? Couldnt he just have female servants to follow him on domestic needs(he certainly could afford it and we do get a glimpse of this in the beginning when they fix his hair) and then the 2 guys as body guards?

Archived