Dragon Dynasty's Shaw Brothers releases

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

Guest Mantis FIST

It would be sweat if they put the trailer for Men from the Monastery on one of the next releases! The film is CLASSIC!

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest shukocarl

I've asked this before...can anyone tell me if the discs are acually R1 or R0. Sometimes US discs state R1 on the packaging and then turn out to be R0 (which I'd prefer!):D

Guest killer meteor

The Australian company Roadshow will be releasing several Dragon Dynasty titles at the end of August. My Young Auntie is among them. It's a stretch, but if we all contact DD and put pressure on them to put the Cantonese track on the Aussie DVD, the message might just get through

It will be two volumes instead of one dual layer DVD.

Volume 1 is completed and volume 2 is ready for authoring tonight.

Guest raider yang
It will be two volumes instead of one dual layer DVD.

Sweet! Can't wait to check it out.

Guest Mantis FIST

Good stuff magic! Yeah the Shaolin Mantis trailer was really cool! It was sweet seeing pops do the mantis style!

Guest Mantis FIST

Anyone wonder why they didnt put the original Legendary Weapons of Kung Fu trailer on the discs. It was on the IVL release.

Guest kow pad moo

Gotta love Dragon Dynasty's creative citation of one of the original American movie reviews from 1973 for their recent release of "King Boxer."

Hovering above Lo Lieh's head in the cover art is an eye-catching " 'Spectacular.' - New York Times," which suggests critical acclaim for the film from the publication in question. Unsurprisingly, though, it seems that wasn't quite the case -- while the word "spectacular" does indeed appear in the original 3/22/73 Times review, there are a lotta other words before and after it that fall into the category of "critical" rather than "acclaim."

In the line selectively cited by Dragon Dynasty, writer Roger Greenspun admits, "It is bloody and rather flashily spectacular -- normally pitting one good guy against 20 bad guys, all armed to the teeth with knives, and with predictably happy results." In the very next sentence, though, Greenspun totally dismisses the film and remarks, "I don't know much about karate, but I know what I don't like. And the karate in 'Five Fingers of Death,' for all its slow-motion high leaps, its grunts, its whooshing fists, has the look of the bottom of the barrel."

I kinda like the "whooshing fists" bit -- it would have made an even greater cover blurb in my mind. If Dragon Dynasty could get the rights to release "Deadly China Doll" with the upcoming "Hapkido," maybe they can plaster another classic old Times review on the DVD cover for that one -- "Angela Mao, the Billie Jean King of kung-fu films...in another Wimbledon of mayhem."

Those were the days, huh...

Guest kungfusamurai

I'm finding the audio commentary rather disappointing. I wish someone like Bey Logan was there to point out the actors who most of us recognize from later roles, and actually say their names. Now, I don't mind hearing the film critics perspective on how the film was received in the US and how it revolutionized the genre. That's fine. But I think ID'ing the actors in these films and talking about the impact they had on cinema is just as important, especially since many of them probably only made a little money off of their work, and don't making any extra money from these DVD releases. And if QT could not use the word 'Shitt' so often. LOL. Yeah, we get it, you're "cool" and "hip". :)

KFS

Guest kow pad moo

Agreed, though the commentary was a lot better than I'd expected, especially given Tarantino's presence. I'm still no fan, but I thought his enthusiastic fu contributions helped balance the more studied (read: academic) approaches of Chute and Mitchell.

To my mind, the ideal result would be an even balance of both play-by-play and color commentary, kinda like the announcers at a baseball game, with enough of each approach to both inform AND entertain. Given that these releases are designed for a broad audience, though, it's probably an unreasonable hope to provide a commentary that can successfully satisfy everyone, from novices to even the most knowledgable folks (like the ones here).

Gratuitous QT profanities aside, I thought the trio on "King Boxer" was sufficiently entertaining and informative to make the commentary track worth sitting through at least once. Hearing Tarantino and Mitchell discuss their own experiences of over-the-top responses to the movie from grindhouse audiences was pretty enlightening, and a great reminder of the more humble theatrical settings of these movies in the pre-home-entertainment days. Likewise, I gotta give credit to Chute and Mitchell for picking up on the "Shane" riffs in film.

Could it have been much better? Sure. But still ... compare the "King Boxer" commentary with the one on "My Young Auntie"; there, it's just Chute and Mitchell, and while they did have occasional moments of insight (like the genre-crossing aspects of the production and suchlike), the total lack of basic factual information to balance off the analysis made for some tough listening.

Guest kermit

Has anyone read Mark Pollard's review of the DD disc?

He says that the dvd has the original canto.

Is he wrong?

Guest gimpusmons

Thanks for catching that guys. You can probably tell which tracks I actually paid attention to when watching the DD version.

I can't wait for a proper English dub release of MAD MONKEY KUNG FU! That track is priceless.

Mark Pollard

Guest skulldugrey

can anybody post pics of the back covers for Dragon Dynastys releases of these two films. I have the IVL versions of each, but I haven't seen these in stores anywhere, and I'm curious as to how the artwork looks on the back covers. thanks!

Guest the golden dragon

I emailed Dragon Dynasty yesterday.

Celistial never answers any queries so I.

Sent a message requesting they pressure Celestial Pictures to release To Kill A Mastermind.

I told them this was the most sought after Shaw Brothers of all time and begged them to make an effort to aqiure it or to have it released . I said if you could purchase this film it would your biggest seller of all time. Did not hear back yet if at all.

Suggest you all also email them as maybe this could get the movie made a legend on this website released.

CONTACT INFO:

BEY@DRAGONDYNASTY.COM

You never know!

Gd

Email sent. I'd suggest keeping it short, I assume the guys busy. I also sent links to the clips out on YouTube.

Guest Markgway

I can't see DD buying in anymore titles than they already have. Isn't there like 46 left to release? It'll take them years as is.

Archived