Dragon Dynasty's Shaw Brothers releases

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

i don,t want to be rude but i believe the main reason for the dd releases was to get the original english dubbing. if you are not interested in them you could have just bought the other celestial versions a long time ago. you know we english dub fans want a little satisfaction as well.

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest sevenhooks

Just to clarify, I was referring to the ORIGINAL trailer for SSWRB, NOT the new, Celestial trailer.

I don't even consider those "trailers".

That said, I was also referring to a possible comp of "original" trailers.

I doubt you'd get much interest in a comp full of new trailers.

Guest sevenhooks
These releases are not all that great.

They do not retranslate subtitles.

Sheeeeeet. They're the best releases yet.

Keep em coming!

Guest sevenhooks
If you have the IVL disc, there is no reason to get the DD disc.

Unless, like many folks, you want the original english dub.

Guest The Running Man
i don,t want to be rude but i believe the main reason for the dd releases was to get the original english dubbing.

You really need to get out of the bubble you are in and understand that these discs were not created just to for the sole purpose of putting the English dubs of these films.

Guest The Running Man

And unlike those folks, there are more folks who aren't so easily impressed and complacent.

Guest killer meteor

I agree with Running Man. Dubs are good for a giggle or nostalgia but there's no excuse for not including the original language in mono. Otherwise, I may as well not bother buying them

Guest inchilottaP

Five seconds of surfing this board should make it pretty obvious that this forum is pretty dub oriented so posting against them is all but trolling.

Alot of people here myself included have been drooling over dubbed Shaw releases since the first celestial announcement and people are going to be happy for them even if you didn't get your cantonese track.

If you want to complain about it, that's what ADG is for since that's about 75% of the content there. :b

Besides the fact that TWC haters are just lying in wait for these releases itching to find something wrong with them and overjoyed when they do find something like MYA.

Really sad if these releases would have all been perfect they would have started pulling stuff out of their ass like "OMG they tried to make Gordon Liu look like a white person on the dvd cover" or some other straw grasping pathetic nonsense.

Guest The Running Man
Five seconds of surfing this board should make it pretty obvious that this forum is pretty dub oriented so posting against them is all but trolling.

Absolutely not.

It is not called "Shaw Brother English dubs". If it were called that, then you'd be right.

This board is simply called "Shaw Brothers". Since it is, I have all the right to complain about the shoddy subtitles in these releases, which btw, is not even excusive to these titles. It goes for ALL of Dragon Dynasty's releases.

Guest The Running Man

sevenhooks,

Why act like you are 5?

No really, not being a jerk here. Seriously.

What you are inviting would potentially lead to a waste of time going back and forth so why even start it?

Guest Senor Quack

Well I think there's a happy medium to be had here. I personally prefer the original language, so the fact that the subtitles haven't been re-translated is a bummer, as for 36th Chamber, an original English dub alone isn't enough to make me double dip. Not whining here (as I'm perfectly happy with my IVL version) as it's great they've done a proper transfer and added the original English dub, but I don't think it's asking too much on the fan's part to wish they had gone in and cleaned up the subs a little bit. I mean, the subs are perfectly acceptable on IVL's 36th Chamber, but if they don't clean up the subs for say, Five Deadly Venoms, I for one will be seriously annoyed (although that original English dub will be too cool for me to pass up). They just can't leave "snake dude" in the translation :eek !

Guest killer meteor

The worst moment I've encounter in Celestial subs was on the Siren DVD of Trail Of The Broken Blade where SPOILER

a dying Wang Yu tells his beloved to "go eat something"

If stuff like that ends up on these DVDs, I shudder...

That's just stupid. I for one am very happy to see the dubs present but I'm annoyed that the subtitles and original Chinese language issues are being disregarded. TBH, if they keep doing this, I might as well stick with a fan-boot and save my cash...

Guest Markgway

Bigotted rubbish.

and people are going to be happy for them even if you didn't get your cantonese track.

Yeah, @#%$ the purists!! :rolleyes

If you want to complain about it, that's what ADG is for since that's about 75% of the content there.

I'm sorry did someone put you in charge while I was away? There's nothing wrong with the ADVDG and I see no reason to sneer at that forum.

Besides the fact that TWC haters are just lying in wait for these releases itching to find something wrong with them and overjoyed when they do find something like MYA.

Hardly... I wanted to get a Cantonese Mono version of My Young Auntie and now I can't. Not that you give a @#%$ about anyone else as long as you get your quota of "but stills".

Guest sevenhooks

sevenhooks,

Why act like you are 5?

No really, not being a jerk here. Seriously.

What you are inviting would potentially lead to a waste of time going back and forth so why even start it?

Then don't take it so seriously.

I'm not.

Look. If you're offended by my remarks, let me be the first to apologise.

But what "started", or should I say prompted my missive, was this little ditty here...

And unlike those folks, there are more folks who aren't so easily impressed and complacent.

Seriously, I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but why do you feel the need to stoop to such a level of condescension and self righteousness?

Bottom line. I like the dubs.

You don't.

Fine.

There's no reason to sh#t on those of us who do simply because you didn't get what you wanted on these releases.

It's funny. For the past few years, those of us who have been hoping and praying for the dubs on disc have been constantly put upon, ridiculed, been referred to as "illiterate", etc. ... and essentially have been made to think that the Celestial (excuse me, ILV) releases were quote "not for us" anyway.

Now that there are finally releases in the US that HAVE the dubs, can we finally get a little peace and satisfaction??

Of course not!!

Guest Robert Ian Teller

What's up with all these dub heads feeling all entitled and shite. That's lame.

I want the dubs (and original languages as well) to. But I'm not gonna be mother****in lame about it.

Guest Mantis FIST
That said, I was also referring to a possible comp of "original" trailers.

I doubt you'd get much interest in a comp full of new trailers.

WORD! I was also talking about original trailers. I agree who cares about those celestial ones.

Guest inchilottaP
Hardly... I wanted to get a Cantonese Mono version of My Young Auntie and now I can't. Not that you give a @#%$ about anyone else as long as you get your quota of "but stills".

[shaw Dubber] Right! [/shaw Dubber] :lol

This thread is already reminding me of ADG with it's rampant over-quoting and over-hostility about something were all here to just enjoy and discuss, movies.Like I said, 75%, not damning the whole board.

It's your choice.Watch a film voiced in English by people that are not the actors or watch a film voiced in Cantonese/Mandarin by people that are not the actor's voices either.

DD did not give you the latter option on MYA and that's unfortunate.Please forgive some people for still being happy to get it with the former and praising the release because of that.

But Still

Guest raider yang
These releases are not all that great.

I sleep next to my DD releases every night and cook them breakfast in the morning.:smokin

TWC is my new best friend.

Guest kermit
Seriously, I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but why do you feel the need to stoop to such a level of condescension and self righteousness?

that's RM's style

as this has now turned into english dub vs asian dub--here goes--i have nothing against the original asian language being included on any shaw release BUT STILL lets face it people the one and only reason dd is doing these movies is to INCLUDE THE ORIGINAL ENGLISH DUBBING. get over it. its what the majority of north american shaw fans want. the success or failure of these releases relies entirely on haveing the dub included. WITHOUT THE ORIGINAL ENGLISH DUB THESE MOVIES WILL FAIL TO SELL. just look at the non dubbed image shaws-most of them are still sitting on the shelves . its my opinion these shaw releases will be a huge success and hopefully a few other companies will jump on the band wagon. love the dubs or hate them--they are the difference between success and failure. you know dds bottom line is to make money-with the dubs they will make money-without the dubs they won,t. with over 200 dubbed shaws being held by celestial theres a lot of money to be made.

Archived