Dragon Dynasty's Shaw Brothers releases

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

Guest killer meteor

Apparently, DD's put Mandarin instead of the correct Cantonese on the disc. Could it be the press info is wrong and they've put Cantonese on unknowingly?

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest raider yang

It came as quite a shock to see all of the old original trailers on all 4 of the discs. Not just for the featured films but original trailers for titles like Buddhas Palm, Killer Clans, Clans of the White Lotus, Golden Swallow, Crippled Avengers, Shaolin Mantis and many many more. I never had the pleasure to see the originals for any of these films so again I'm quite impressed with the extra legwork DD went through in serving up the extras on these discs.

Oh and not to forget the original english dubs either which are very clear and cleaned up to a high level.:D

Guest oldeschool17

with those trailers mentioned, does that mean this is an indication of the future releases in store for dragon dynasty?

Guest raider yang

I was also wondering that myself, but theres at least 10 trailers on each disc, most are original, the others are the new Celestial trailers.

I can't see DD releasing Buddhas Palm being not so much a well known film but who knows.

Guest morgoth

I have no idea. I just figured it was Cantonese. I have to admit that I only listened to the Chinese language for about 10 minutes and the rest of I watched English dubbed. They don't translate when Gordon Liu is singing so I had to switch over to the subs for that.

Guest Markgway

According to a poster at the ADVDG it's the Mandarin dub. No Cantonese track. Doh! And he reckons the subs aren't terribly good either. Sticking with my IVL, thanks.

Guest chen lung
elaborate more chen lung

Kara Hui marely moves her arm and 40 guys fall over. Comedy is really lame, the silly costume thing with Gordon's extended cameo too. Gets really tedious but the final fight and Kara/Hsiao Hou attempting to get to Wang Lung Wei's residence is fantastic.

Guest PaulyOne

I could not disagree more chen lung, for me this is one of the greatest martial arts movies of all time, top 10 shaw brothers for sure and the second best lau kar leung directorial effort

I found the comedy to be stupid and silly, but in a totally endearing way, so I loved it

kara hui is incredible in this and so gorgeous

its a shame about the mandarin audio. isn't this obvious though? what the hell were DD thinking (or celestial for probably providing the wrong track)?

I love this movie, LKL has a way of stretching the comedy a little to far sometimes, but it really fit in this movie, Gordon dancing around shaking his ass playing guitar:lol , the swashbuckler scene with the goofy wigs, Kara and Hsiao pulls off some great sexual tension, then that ending8o

Not sure I can rank it over LWoC.

I went in to BBuy to get 36th Chamber, almost picked this up but grabbed King Boxer instead since I haven't seen it remastered yet.

Guest sevenhooks

LOVE the OG trailers.

Amazing (not to mention ironic) that DD had no problem getting all these great original trailers when Celestial rarely even bothers to add the OG trailer for their own releases.

EVERYTHING is on point about these DD releases so far.

I plan to buy every Shaw film they release if they keep this up.

Only wish they'd get better commentary guys.

They might be nice guys buy Andy Klein and Elvis Mitchell obviously know VERY little about these films and their personel.

Linn, as mentioned before would be great.

Perhaps Linn paired up with another board member would be great.

Guest oldeschool17

yeah, someone like Linn would be great for dragon dynasty. Linn, forward dragon dynasty this thread and attach your resume, we need you on the inside!

I just sent this email to dragon dynasty:

Dear Bey,

Please use your power to get rid of Andy Klein, Elvis Mitchell, or any other individual that doesnt have a strong grasp of kung fu cinema like you do. Its a shame when RZA is more keyed into the genre then the other mentioned individuals. You guys should do some promos or recruiting of fans that know their kung fu cinema and let them help on the commentary for your dvds. Might I suggest a person like Linn Hayes, who you can easily find on this messageboard going by the screename: Linn1

pub3.ezboard.com/fkungfufandomfrm24

Thanks -Dan

Guest kungfusamurai

Are the same trailers on every disc (i.e. overlap) or are there different trailers depending on what DVD you get?

KFS

Guest kungfusamurai

This movie gets better and better when I watch it. On first viewing, the dance scene was annoying. But after watching it a couple of other times, I really enjoy this film. It's a movie that would probably appeal to non-martial arts fans too.

KFS

Guest raider yang
Are the same trailers on every disc (i.e. overlap) or are there different trailers depending on what DVD you get?

Its cool, because every disc has different trailers. The OG Shaolin Mantis trailer has to be the best I've seen yet. I can not remember which disc has it but with demonstrations by LKL himself, you really cant beat it.:D

thanks for the kind words guys. I got my copies of these today and pretty much go with what Sevenhooks wrote. There's some stuff on the extras that certainly don't jibe, but I'm not going to go through and pick them apart. As for myself, some news is coming.

Guest inchilottaP
I plan to buy every Shaw film they release if they keep this up.

Same here.

36 Chambers is my least favorite LKL flick and I already have the OAS boxset but i'm gonna grab these two anyways just on the principle of original english dub inclusion and proper PAL->NTSC .

Guest sevenhooks
The OG Shaolin Mantis trailer has to be the best I've seen yet.

YES!! Excellent trailer. Kinda in the style of Heroes Two.

Love this sort of stuff.

Who was it that was recently blasting our love and interest for the original trailers??

They just couldn't comprehend WHY anyone would even care about such things. :rolleyes

Hats off to the folks at DD for putting in this kind of effort.

Otherwise I doubt we'd EVER see such trailers.

Someone needs to think about putting together a comp DVD of all the Shaw trailers they can find (ala the "Fistful of Trailers" DVD full of spaghetti western previews).

There's enough out there now for at least one volume - possibly two.

Guest Chen Zhen

dont worry Brother Chen, i got ur back on this lol.......action aside, this movie is borderline unbearable.......the comedy is REALLY lame at times, and hsiao hou has never been more annoying on screen. the story had an interesting premise, but this was a very annoying movie to sit thru.

gets no higher than a 3/5 from me

Sevenhooks,

I got you covered sevenhooks, I started making a DVD last night that will be longer than the DVD I created for several members last year here on the forum. My goal is to use dual layer discs for 8 GB worth of trailers.

Yes, there have been 8GB worth of original trailers released so far.

I'll need a week or so to do this in the manner that I'll be satisified with in the end, but I'll let the forum know when it's ready.

I bought all 4 of the Dragon Dynasty discs and somehow missed the original Shaolin Mantis trailer. Would someone tell me what disc it's on?

Archived