Dragon Dynasty's Shaw Brothers releases

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

Guest chen lung
Mandarin 2.0

Bollocks :( ...

No mention of the UK featurette for 'King Boxer', must have been a change.

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest gfanikf

Yeah, but luckily I'm a philistine and will most likely watch it in English anyway ;) .

Still I'm very happy with the alt credits for FFingers of Death being there, plus it gets the most interviews of any of the films.

Guest chen lung
Still I'm very happy with the alt credits for FFingers of Death being there

Are they a copy of the EPI DVD with the false 'Five Fingers of Death' inserted alongside the export English credits?

Are any signs/credits/trailers translated in subs? Glad to see mono for everything!

Guest HANZOSTEEL

I dont buy it guys sorry. at least on all points. I had a few minutes so i popped in my own celestial region 3

release of 36th Chamber of Shaolin and took a screencap. It is nowhere NEAR as dull as DVDBeaver

is trying to make it seem. I did not retouch the image i took at all in fact it seems brighter than the image

they posted claiming the Weinstein v is superior. It may be but i just thought that i would tell you what i saw.

On top is the Screen Cap i took and on the bottom is how they tryng to tell people it is. What are the +'s

for buying the DD Release really the audio commentary?

Image1b.jpg

28_23.jpg

Guest chen lung

Extras, mono soundtracks, (presumably) English dub, cleaned-up subtitles.

DD has a proper PAL>NTSC transfer unlike IVL which has a lousy one.

Guest m burlock

Where can I find that list of 50 Shaw titles that DD has and their R1 release dates? I looked over 7-8 pages and didn't find what I was looking for.

Guest inchilottaP

Their is no list.

Basically they have mostly Venoms/LKL stuff from what i've read around these parts.

I'm sure someone will come up with a nice speculative fake list like these ones of films celestial won't ever release like 5 Element Ninjas. :lol

Guest drunkenmantis13

No really, wasn`t there a list of the 50 titles on here a few days ago? While at work today i was also thinking about asking for it when i come back...

Guest Markgway

I won't be buying MYA (for obvious reasons...) but T36COS sounds fine and if OAS and KB are on a par I'll consider these to. Shame the extras are so bad (apart from a couple of the cast/crew interviews). I think the French DVDs had much better. Considering how long it's taken these DVDs to get out it's not terribly impressive but the A/V quality is the most important thing and it seems they've got that right on 3/4 titles (pending). Amen. The fact is though: I've already got all four films from IVL so the DDs are gonna need to be strong bargains for me to double-dip. Where's the cheapest place to get them? I'm looking to spend around a fiver (£).

Guest HANZOSTEEL

Hm, im with you guys im not going to buy it i already own everything. I also agree with Markgway now

the french did it right. French DVD'S had exclusive interviews with directors and actors. Perzonally i

would rather buy a french version of EFShaolin before i ever buy 36th Chamber. Escpecially since 2

relatively uknown commentators are the ones that are commenting on the film which would be the

only reason i would have bought it. RZA and Andy Klein? Really i would at least hope for more than

this especially after seeing ''old school kung fu with Wu tang Clan'' where the entire group was

commenting on the Kung Fu movies. It would be different if they had some special inside information

on the movie which i would really want to hear. But for every other comment to end with ''You know

what im saying?'' or ''Word to the God'' etc... i dont know i just want more than that. I would settle for

Bey Logan he's great. We all know what RZA has done but what about Andy Klein who is this?

Guest oldeschool17

compiled by margway

13 BELOVED

36TH CHAMBER OF SHAOLIN

AVENGING EAGLE

A BETTER TOMORROW (Anchor Bay apparently lost this title) A BETTER TOMORROW II (see above)

BORN TO FIGHT

BULLET IN THE HEAD

THE CITY OF VIOLENCE

A CHINESE ODYSSEY: CINDERELLA

A CHINESE ODYSSEY: PANDORA'S BOX

COME DRINK WITH ME

CRIME STORY

CRIPPLED AVENGERS

DIRTY HO (I expect a title change here - remember the problems with LAPUTA? I can't picture Wal-Mart stocking DIRTY HO.)

DRAGON FROM RUSSIA

DRAGON HEAT (once again, this is not a typo, it's the notorious Eric Kot movie)

DRAGON SQUAD

DRAGON TIGER GATE

DRUNKEN MONKEY

EIGHT DIAGRAM POLE FIGHTER

EXECUTIONERS FROM SHAOLIN

FIST OF LEGEND

FIVE DEADLY VENOMS

FIVE SHAOLIN MASTERS

THE FLYING GUILLOTINE

FULL ALERT

GOD OF COOKERY

HAPKIDO

HARD-BOILED

HEROES OF THE EAST (SHAOLIN CHALLENGES NINJA) INFERNAL AFFAIRS II

INFERNAL AFFAIRS III

THE KILLER KING BOXER (FIVE FINGERS OF DEATH)

KING OF COMEDY (Uncut? In the United States? It simply ain't gonna happen with this one. )

LOVE ASIA (not actually a movie, this is a "sexy models" type of thing featuring Maggie Q)

MAD MONKEY KUNG FU

MARTIAL ARTS OF SHAOLIN THE MASTER (the Jet Li movie previously relased by Dimension)

MILLIONAIRES EXPRESS

MY BLUEBERRY NIGHTS

MY YOUNG AUNTIE

NIGHTMARE DETECTIVE (all US/UK/AU rights)

NO MERCY FOR THE RUDE

THE ONE ARMED SWORDSMAN

ONG BAK II

POLICE STORY (released, uncut)

POLICE STORY II PTU (Palm Pictures had this for a very short period of time)

RETURN TO THE 36TH CHAMBER OF SHAOLIN

RIGHTING WRONGS

ROYAL TRAMP

ROYAL TRAMP II

SEVEN SWORDS (released, uncut)

SHANGHAI, SHANGHAI

SHAOLIN WOODEN MEN

SKINNY TIGER, FATTY DRAGON

SNAKE AND CRANE ARTS OF SHAOLIN

SPL (released as KILLZONE, uncut)

THE TAI CHI MASTER

TOM YUM GOONG (released as THE PROTECTOR , contains both the THE PROTECTOR cut and the original version)

THE VICTIM (I assume the Ringo Lam film)

Guest kungfusamurai

Someone mentioned that Last Hurrah For Chivalry was also part of their release schedule (yeah, I know it's not Shaws, but since we're listing all of the DD films anyway).

KFS

Guest Markgway

Andy Klein did the commentary for Master of the Flying Guillotine. Yet amazingly he was hired to do another.

Guest UrbanKungFu

Friends and fellow collectors - Actually, the first batch is out already. I just purchased "King Boxer" with a commentary with non other than Quentin Tarantino. Also an interview with Chang - Hwa Jeong (Director for King Boxer). The picture and scope are from the Celestial prints. The great thing is that ALL these Shaw titles feature the ORIGINAL ENGLISH DUB (mono). Special features (very poor quality I must say) are the english trailers to King Boxer "5 Fingers of Death" and the U.S. opening to the film as "5 Fingers of Death".

The trailers are horrible considering the fact that this company should have had access to better prints (I have the trailers on DVD and 16mm and they are super clean (they should have asked me LOL!)

But the main feature is fantastic and the english track (although mono) is clean and quiet.

Peace!

Hector Martinez

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

I havent seen any out in stores yet. But I have held every one of the new dvd's in my hand though :D . A buddy of mine runs a dvd distribution and production buisness. I was in his shop today and he let me check em out. Technically he could'nt let me have them before their official release date ;) .

Guest oldeschool17
Technically he could'nt let me have them before their official release date

He's not a friend then. haha just kiddin. Lookin forward to the release

Guest Shaolin Patriot
I just purchased "King Boxer" with a commentary with non other than Quentin Tarantino.

This may be a silly question, but did Tarantino sound like he did his research for the commentary and knew what he was talking about?

Guest chen lung

Hey mate

Was there an interview with Lau Kar Wing? Is the sound in-sync (since Celestial cut the hell out of it)? Shame a cleaner trailer like yours couldn't have been used (or even to appeal to collectors/fans on forums e.t.c) :( . I own 16mm 'Hammer Of God' teaser, 35mm German 'Boxer Rebellion' trailer and 35mm '7 Blows Of The Dragon' trailer. For non-Shaws, I have super-8 German 'Drunken Master' trailer and 35mm 'Lady Kung Fu' trailer.

Guest UrbanKungFu

Tarantino's commentary was nothing new. He sounded very much like an average fan's point of view of the film then went on to follow David Chute & Elvis Mitchell's more "sophisticated" breakdown of the film. I was laughing my head off the way those three were "breaking" down the film into a political conversation and at times sounding like they were talking about "Fritz lang's "Metropolis" or Orson Well's "Citizen Kane"!!!!

Come on, it's a good old school Kung Fu joint not "Gone with the Wind", there was no need using words that I don't recall seeing in the dictionary!!!!!

I purchased the films at Kim's Video Underground (8th street & St. Marks) in Manhattan of course.

Peace!

Hector Martinez

Guest morgoth

Damn this is long. I am only 95 minutes in. This movie has EVERYBODY! Great flick. English dub and Cantonese sounds very good and picture quality is about as perfect as can be.

Guest morgoth

I give this movie an 8/10. I liked it a little more than Legendary Weapons. Kind of weird that Kara Hui didn't participate in the final fight at all, but that fight between Lung Wei and Lau Kar Leung was a short masterpiece. The interview with Kara Hui is very enjoyable. There are 6 or 7 original trailers. And the commentary blows major booty. How hard is it to get real knowledgable fans of these movies to do commentaries? They should at least get people who know who actors like Kwan Young Moon and Wilson tong are. I only watched like the first 15 minutes with the commentary on and then went to the final fight.

It would havee helped if one of these guys would have seen Executioners of Shaolin and maybe they wouldn't have made fun of the breath control. That is where I had to stop listening. I only listened to 20 minutes or so in total.

Archived