Dragon Dynasty's Shaw Brothers releases

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

I thought his commentary was quite entertaining. What did you not like about the Rza's commentary, if I may ask?

I don't have enough ink in my pen to jot them all down but there are no venoms in 36 CHAMBERS nor is Chu Yuan anywhere to be found but yet RZA claims that Chu serves Gordon Liu in the restaurant before he hitches a ride to Shaolin and that aint him. Then he mistakes Hsiao Hou for a venom than says, "that's not him, that's the venom over there.." Then, he refers to the villains as Mongols/Tartars...no, wait...MONGOES and TA-TA's he calls them and the subs even refer to them as Tartars at one point despite the fact that the Mongols/Tartars invaded China in mid 1200s. The Manchu's in the 1600s. You'd think after having seen so many of these movies, especially considering that the Qing reign is the most oft filmed time period in HK cinema history, that he would have gotten that right. It's like this the length of the commentary. I don't know about you, but I don't find continuous misinformation babbled throughout the entire film entertaining. Everybody makes errors but this was an audio commentary for a DVD detailing info about the film and its production and or performers and you'd have thought there'd have been some prep work done before hand. Why couldn't they have gotten Gordon Liu to have done this track? They could have subbed it for crying out loud! His 20 minute interview gives more insight to the film and his career than anything RZA and Klein could ever hope to.

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't have enough ink in my pen to jot them all down but there are no venoms in 36 CHAMBERS nor is Chu Yuan anywhere to be found but yet RZA claims that Chu serves Gordon Liu in the restaurant before he hitches a ride to Shaolin and that aint him. Then he mistakes Hsiao Hou for a venom than says, "that's not him, that's the venom over there.." Then, he refers to the villains as Mongols/Tartars...no, wait...MONGOES and TA-TA's he calls them and the subs even refer to them as Tartars at one point despite the fact that the Mongols/Tartars invaded China in mid 1200s. The Manchu's in the 1600s. You'd think after having seen so many of these movies, especially considering that the Qing reign is the most oft filmed time period in HK cinema history, that he would have gotten that right. It's like this the length of the commentary. I don't know about you, but I don't find continuous misinformation babbled throughout the entire film entertaining. Everybody makes errors but this was an audio commentary for a DVD detailing info about the film and its production and or performers and you'd have thought there'd have been some prep work done before hand. Why couldn't they have gotten Gordon Liu to have done this track? They could have subbed it for crying out loud! His 20 minute interview gives more insight to the film and his career than anything RZA and Klein could ever hope to.

Very good points. I was disappointed with the commentaries for One-Armed Swordsmen and My Young Auntie. How was the King Boxer commentary?

I'm hoping they do right with the next two releases...

I don't know I didn't listen to them although I did hear the AUNTIE one was awful. The only reason I listened to the CHAMBERS one was because of so many reviews proclaimed it was so informative and told so much about the films background. I guess those sites were getting paid to review the titles and didn't want to make waves with DD or maybe they just didn't know. I am kind of curious about the KING BOXER one though. I may have to pop that one in and give it a listen.

I don't know I didn't listen to them although I did hear the AUNTIE one was awful. The only reason I listened to the CHAMBERS one was because of so many reviews proclaimed it was so informative and told so much about the films background. I guess those sites were getting paid to review the titles and didn't want to make waves with DD or maybe they just didn't know. I am kind of curious about the KING BOXER one though. I may have to pop that one in and give it a listen.

I've heard mixed opinions on the King Boxer as well. But I have not heard it either.

Again, I'm hoping they up the quality on the Heroes of The East and Come Drink With Me releases.

Mark Pollard

I've merged all of the general threads pertaining to Dragon Dynasty's Shaw Brothers releases into this thread. This is where discussion of upcoming titles should go.

Watched the KING BOXER disc with the Audio Commentary on and it's far more engaging than the CHAMBERS AC. Most everything that is said is very interesting and thought provoking at times. The only thing I disagree with is QT's statement about him not liking Tien Feng that much because he usually plays good guys but makes an impression in KING BOXER as a villain. Tien Feng has played some seriously nasty villains far more cruel than KB. Some that immediately comes to mind are THE SWORD OF SWORDS(1968), THE BLACK ENFORCER (1972), OATH OF DEATH (1971), SECRET OF THE DIRK (1970) and THE WINGED TIGER (1970). But then, QT probably hasn't seen these yet. This AC is definitely recommended.

Watched the KING BOXER disc with the Audio Commentary on and it's far more engaging than the CHAMBERS AC..

I still have yet to get that release, that's really towards the top of my list. :(

Guest Markgway

Tien Feng USUALLY played villains, lol.

My main grip with that commentary - and on the whole it was decent - was that none of the three participents could (or were willing to) identify most of the actors. I think they got Lo LIeh, Tien Feng and James Nam... and er, that's about it. Just as well I'd done my own research for my review.

Tien Feng USUALLY played villains, lol.

Yeah, but like I said, he probably hadn't seen many of his movies and was just basing it on what he had seen. I liked the fact that they were discussing this film in an intellectual fashion and pointing out details and characteristics that would have otherwise gone unnoticed by casual viewers or those who write these movies off as crap. It was still miles ahead better than the CHAMBERS track with its Ric Meyers styled diatribes.

My main grip with that commentary - and on the whole it was decent - was that none of the three participents could (or were willing to) identify most of the actors. I think they got Lo LIeh, Tien Feng and James Nam... and er, that's about it. Just as well I'd done my own research for my review.

Yeah, I think that's the only three. I was hoping they would have discussed Chao Hsiung but nothing. I like this guy as an actor. Not many people, Chinese included, think much of him. He always struck me as an actor who could have made it as a Chambara star. He seemed to have that aura about him. I really liked him in AMBUSH (1973). They did talk a bit about Chan Shen but they didn't call him by name unless you count bullet head as a name.:P

Another slightly interesting thing about Tien Feng is that he plays a hero role in 12 DEADLY COINS (1969) while Fang Mian plays the villain there. The roles being reversed for KING BOXER. He seemed to settle into good guy roles in his GH films though. Saw him the other night in PHANTOM KILLER and he was a good guy there. IMO, his Shaw outings are the most memorable.

Watched KING BOXER (dubbed version) this evening sans the commentary and I noticed two mistakes on the dub track where the soundtrack repeats itself for a couple seconds. The shot immediately after Lo Lieh has his hands smashed and the end fight between Lo Lieh and Chao Hsiung.

How about the continuity when the villains say Chao fought with them a few days ago, but a year passed in between that (of training).

How about the continuity when the villains say Chao fought with them a few days ago, but a year passed in between that (of training).

Yeah, true, although in the dub the time frame isn't made clear. The two audio flubs are on the dub only and not the subbed track.

Heroes of The East.

May 27, 2008.

For Shaw Lovers.

Hkflix has a pre-release cover art. I tried posting it here, however, seeing I'm such a novice, my attempt failed.

;)

:o didn't see the other post about the cover art.

myfaultokthanksbuhbye.

TibetanWhiteCrane

Looking forward to this, and eventually FIVE VENOMS and CRIPPLED AVENGERS... but that will probably be a while...!

oldeschool17
Looking forward to this, and eventually FIVE VENOMS and CRIPPLED AVENGERS... but that will probably be a while...!

It will be out by 2030.

TibetanWhiteCrane

Yeah, I know...! But my steeplechase and crash cinema versions are pretty worn out by now. And these are two flicks that I HAVE to have with the old skool dub!

Hello everyone! I was wondering if anyone knows what DD releases come with slipcases. I noticed the Shaw Brothers releases i saw had no slipcases. However, the rest of the releases i seen some stores carry certain titles with slipcases. Recently i went to Wal-Mart and saw Hard Boiled and it had a slipcase for it. About a month ago i bought Hard Boiled and it didnt have the slipcase on it. Wanting the slipcase, i just slid it over the movie i was buying and off i went.

If anyone has information that can help me find out what Dragon Dynasty releases come with slipcases, it would be really appreciated. I dont like buying movies that have no slipcase with them and are supposed to have one. Thank u!!

Archived