Dragon Dynasty's Shaw Brothers releases

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

Release date for the first batch of DD Shaws was 4/10/07(36th Chamber, My Young Auntie, One-Armed Swordsman, King Boxer). But none have been released. All sites show that release date and all show backordered. Whats the deal? Why the delay, did I miss something?

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest GwaiLoMoFo

Nevermind, According to the DD website their do in June instead. Why do all of the web retailers (still) have them listed as april 10th?

is up at DVDBeaver. Damn they need to update that intro though. I forgot I wrote it for them all those years ago! And it STILL is missing a couple of words! :o

Review

Guest morgoth

Pic quality looks like Image's Leg Weapons release. Oh man I cant wait to get this!

And Gordon Liu plays General Chin in the movie?:lol

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

Sounds good. Damnit, too bad I already have the Celestial.:\ The extras dont looking interesting enough to warrant a double dip on this one. Interviews, music video and commentary featuring the RZA not worth another $15 to me. Still makes me happy to finally see these hitting the shelfs here.

Guest killer meteor

Looks fantastic. Annoying that DVD Beaver seems to be impying the remix is more important than the mono though.

Looks like DD has finally hit a home-run - assuming it's got the original English track

Guest kungfusamurai

They indicated that the Celestial DVD was anamorphic. Was it? I thought it was a low bit-rate non-anamorphic release. It looks like the Weinstein DVD won't suffer from the ghosting that plagued the Celestial DVD. I haven't dug out my French version. I think Wild Side did a good job on that one too.

KFS

Guest killer meteor

Celstial's 36th Chamber was done by blowing up their non-anamorphic master (not a great idea but OK) but the contrast and edge enhancement was screwy. Celestial fixed this problem for most of their subsequent anamorphic releases but all their DVDs suffer from poor standards conversions

Guest dndcollect

hell, i'll take a audio commentary for a shaw brothers film from a crack head if he knew what he was talking about.

RZA seems to know his s**t.

I have the celestia, the crash, the red sun, and a taped from tv.

i am buying this one no question.

finally getting what i want with the extras.

im stunned, and the pic quality is even better?

finally a US company at least seems to be stepping up.

Guest drunkenmantis13

Well, everything seems more than perfect! That's just awesome! No talk about the dub, but if it's the original one...i'm buying ALL the DD's!

Guest sevenhooks

Besides the original dub, does anyone know if DD is using the original trailer?

I would think that should be fairly easy to do since it was available on the Celestial disc.

But then again, I said the same thing about Image's Legendary Weapons and no dice.

Crossing fingers.

Guest sevenhooks
No talk about the dub, but if it's the original one...i'm buying ALL the DD's!

That's the key for me (and for a lot of other folks I know).

Hopefully they get it right.

If so, I'll be scooping up every release they put out as well.

If not, I'll be sticking to my Celestial's (ala Heaven and Hell).

Guest PaulyOne

while I am glad to have any review on this disc, this has to be one of the least informative reviews I have read... so many questions about this disc left unanswered

Guest chen lung

Excluding the unconfirmed English dub (and it's mono status) for the moment, the fact that only mono seems to be present (likely in answer to the negative remixes) has to be commended! Celestial supply original ones most of the time (with known exceptions), plus DD probably made sure too - so chances are likely it's included.

It's the IVL DVD (which I rid of months in advance knowing... ;) ), not Celestial (the latter only provide the materials). Common misconception. Celestial provided a rubbish PAL>NTSC transfer to IVL whereas DD managed to get it done properly - the difference is clear (shame the same couldn't be done for Image).

Head-bags scene is cut on the IVL DVD for about 2 seconds - probably the same here (Crash is uncut I believe).

Cantonese maybe still redubbed when Gordon and Wilson exchange their views on monks commiting murder (in the forest). It was either missing/damaged sources, deliberate redubbing (on account of logic) or because it was dropped for the reissued version (Mandarin of course being original and complete-sounding).

Attempting to verify some of the aforementioned queries about the DVD with a contact. Will try to let you know soon.

Didn't like this film but it might find itself in my next order ;) . Will get 'King Boxer' however (one of my few favourite Shaws), not seen 'One-Armed Swordsman' whilst 'My Young Auntie' was just too lame (action was 1st class all the way) and could be in Mandarin too.

QUESTION FOR LINN: if the 50 DD shaw movies sell well --will they get additional tittles ? just curious.

Guest chen lung

It is possible providing they do well. But it's generally hard to generate success out of Shaws so you're right in that way Linn. See what happens :) ...

Guest oldeschool17

somebody should contact dvdbeaver and ask about the dubs and english dub. that website looks like a mess to navigate.

Guest gfanikf

I'll have me review copies in a day or two, but I hope this will suffice you for the moment :) . I'll be doing caps and also audio clips via youtube along with the regular reviews.

Courtesy of Jay Spear

www.dvdmaniacs.net/forums...044&page=4

The One Armed Swordsman

Extras:

The Master: Chang Cheh- 17:30 minutes...looks to me like a port over from the R3 SB dvds.

Trailers:

Original English: Seven Blows of the Dragon, Street Gangs of HK, Duel of the Iron Fists, and The Chinese Professionals.

Original Chinese trailers: Boxer From Shantung, Chinese Boxer, Crippled Avengers, The New One Armed Swordsman, Return of the One Armed Swordsman, Vengeance.

Interviews- Jimmy Yu Wang- 10:55min

Andy Klein and David Chute-8:08min

Subtitles- English, Spanish, English for Hearing Impaired

Audio(according to my dvd player) Mandarin 2.0, English 2.0, commentary track.

Quentin Tarantino is nowhere to be found on the dvd, despite what it says on the packaging.

My Young Auntie

Extras: Interview with Kara Hui 13:03

Interview with David Chute and Andy Klein.

Trailers:

Original Chinese: Blood Brothers, Buddha's Palm, Dirty Ho, Heroes of the East, Lady is the Boss, Mad Monkey Kung Fu

Subtitles: English, Spanish, English for hearing impaired

Audio: Mandarin 2.0, English 2.0, commentary

There are also some bios and stills on each dvd. Sorry if I made any goofs, did this on the fly.

Hope this helps guys.

Both dvds sound like Mandarin and Old School English dubs to me, but I'm no expert. Sorry but I'm also don't have the skills to check if they are interlaced or progressive, or if they PAL to NTSC conversions.

King Boxer Specs..

Interview with Chang-Wa Jeong

Interview with action director Lau Kar Wing.

Trailers:

English Five Fingers of Death trailer, which looks like a 8th gen Chinatown rental. I'm having flashbacks.

There's the alternate Five Fingers of Death opening title sequence on the dvd.

Original Chinese Trailers: Clan of the White Lotus, Executioners from Shaolin, Golden Swallow, Invincible Fist, Killer Clans

There's a Magic Blade trailer but it looks like a new restored trailer like those found on the R3 releases.

The specs for audio are just like the other 2.....2.0 Mandarin and English, with English subs, Spanish subs and English FHI subs.

Archived