How are the Quality of These Dvds?

oldeschool17

I was in best buy & blockbuster today and noticed these on the shelves. Can anybody comment on their quality(picture,sound,subs,etc...). Ive attached links from hkflix due to more detailed specs. Thanks!

http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID.541302/qx/details.htm

http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID.539225/qx/details.htm

http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID.539133/qx/details.htm

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Morgoth Bauglir

SHogun's Samurai Adness version is perfection. That movie is AMAZING.

Shogun Collection is the Adness remastered prints so I would expect those to be good.

I have that Bajan 4-pack, but I can't find it right now. Sorry, I wanted to answer all 3!:o

the picture quality on the Baian discs is passable but not great. A little washed out and the age shows. Plus the show itself was pretty meh to me, barely any action and the plot is not strong enough to make up for it.

I purchased Baian at Best Buy today. Don't expect some sort of hidden martial arts gem with tons of action (like Alex said). Of course being I got it today I haven't watched too much of it (basically just made sure all the discs worked). The picture looks fine to me. Yeah, if you zoom in it looks blurry, but it's a really old show so it looks fine considering. You'd probably only find a problem if you were looking for one. The subtitles are yellow and easy to read. Don't know if it is a direct translation or some sort of "dubtitle" but there isn't an english track on this release so who knows. An odd thing with the packaging is the first two discs have a description of the entire series on the back, while the last two discs have a description of the actual episodes contatined on the discs. I bought it because Watanabe is a great great actor and I wanted to watch a Japanese television show for once. You can't really go wrong for $15 if you're into the Japanese culture/entertainment.

I also have the 2-disc Shinobi. The picture is sharp, crisp, and clear. Didn't pay attention to the sound and I don't remember what the subtitles were like. The packaging is kinda cheap with the two discs housed on top of each other so you have to take both out if you want the one on the bottom. My copy also has blurry print on the back making it almost impossible to read. Best Buy had it for $10 when I got it so you can't really go wrong with this one either. One of the major review sites online almost gave it their highest rating.

Thanks Gir. Thats the review i needed to hear. Ill prolly pick up the sony chiba movies and shinobi. Please report back when you have watched the entire baian 4 pack

Crap. Yeah, I have the Shinobi movie: Heart Under Blade (the hkflix link). Even the CGI in that movie looks great!

I've also been wondering about the other Shinobi set (I'm pretty sure I saw a horrible rating of that somewhere) and I'm really curious about the Chiba set. Looks interesting.

I'll post what I think of the entire Baian series later. The production levels look top notch so far! The first few minutes create a great atmosphere (foggy, rain, dark, traditional clothing, paper lamps, etc.) and tell you what the series will be like (I'm guessing).

Archived