What's that 1 Classic Kung Fu Flick your waiting to be remastered

WhiteTiger1

Guest Markgway

Raining in the Mountain - an original DVD as good as the OOP French disc that is widely available to import and doesn't cost a forkin' bomb.

The Fate of Lee Khan - WTF are Fortune Star/Joy Sales waiting for...???

starschwar

I can't limit myself to just one, so here's a top five.  Drunken Master II would have been on this list for about twenty years until recently - exciting times!  In order from most to least likely to happen someday:

Fist of Legend.  So there hasn't been a Blu-Ray (or possibly even DVD?) release that's uncut, with accurate (non-dubtitle) subs, and retains the epilogue text.  To say nothing of the extra footage from the Taiwan cut.  This really needs to change, and I can't see why this can't happen.

Rumble in the Bronx:  I know I beat this dead horse regularly, but it's still worth repeating to me.  Barring that one specific Region 0 DVD that I'm not convinced ever existed to begin with, there is no English-friendly version of the movie in its original cut.  The Japanese DVD is sync sound, uncut, but heavily cropped and lacks subtitles.  The Taiwan DVD is mostly uncut (lots of bits missing due to print damage), has atrocious picture quality, and is dubbed in Mandarin.  And the International version is, of course, heavily cut, dubbed, different soundtrack, etc.  But it does have some unique footage.  It's been neglected for far too long.

The Big Boss - Original Theatrical Cut:  As I said, each entry's going to be less likely.  I know that all that missing footage went missing because of censorship laws and so on.  But the movie existed in full, there were prints shown in theaters, and not just in Hong Kong.  There has to be an intact copy, somewhere in the world.  It's a long shot, but that's one of my Holy Grails to be sure.

A Better Tomorrow II - John Woo Director's Cut:  At least The Big Boss got released.  I'm not naive.  It's very likely that none of the cut footage still exists.  But at one point, in an editor's room, it did.  If somehow, somewhere, it survives, this would be a game changer.  The movie comes so very, very close to being good.  But with about 40-60 minutes missing, it's an incoherent (sometimes incomprehensible) mess.  It could be a sequel worthy of the original.  The ship has probably sailed on this, but I can dream.

Game of Death - everything we haven't seen yet:  Okay, now I'm in the "it probably never existed to begin with" territory.  This movie will forever have a mystique to it, of what might have been.  If there's anything more, anything outside the pagoda, etc - it needs to be unearthed.  I don't expect this to ever happen.  But I never expected any of the 88/Eureka/Warner Archive re-releases to happen, either.  I love being wrong sometimes.

Edited by starschwar
  • Like 4

Just one is too tricky.

Dirty Ho

Heroes Of The East

Shaolin Vs Wutang

Crippled Avengers

Invincible Shaolin

Mystery of Chessboxing

The Odd Couple

Fists & Guts

Mad Monkey Kung Fu

Ninja In The Deadly Trap

Legendary weapons of China

Pedicab Driver

Tiger On The Beat

My Young Auntie

Yes, Madam aka Police Assassins

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

HEROES OF THE EAST is the one I'm pining for.

88 Films really need to get all over Heroes Of The East and give us a slip and poster with the glorious print you made for the RZA 36 Cinema screening Bob!

(Though I have a sneaky suspicion this may be one of the titles wrapped up in the mysterious Arrow Video deal.)

• Like 3

These films is in desperate need of Blu-Ray treatment

The Hot, The Cool and The Vicious

Fatal Needles VS Fatal Fists

Eagle’s Claw

Secret Rivals 1 & 2

Snuff Bottle Connection

Edited by Django
  • Like 5

On 6/7/2021 at 4:12 PM, starschwar said:

I can't limit myself to just one, so here's a top five.  Drunken Master II would have been on this list for about twenty years until recently - exciting times!  In order from most to least likely to happen someday:

Fist of Legend.  So there hasn't been a Blu-Ray (or possibly even DVD?) release that's uncut, with accurate (non-dubtitle) subs, and retains the epilogue text.  To say nothing of the extra footage from the Taiwan cut.  This really needs to change, and I can't see why this can't happen.

Rumble in the Bronx:  I know I beat this dead horse regularly, but it's still worth repeating to me.  Barring that one specific Region 0 DVD that I'm not convinced ever existed to begin with, there is no English-friendly version of the movie in its original cut.  The Japanese DVD is sync sound, uncut, but heavily cropped and lacks subtitles.  The Taiwan DVD is mostly uncut (lots of bits missing due to print damage), has atrocious picture quality, and is dubbed in Mandarin.  And the International version is, of course, heavily cut, dubbed, different soundtrack, etc.  But it does have some unique footage.  It's been neglected for far too long.

The Big Boss - Original Theatrical Cut:  As I said, each entry's going to be less likely.  I know that all that missing footage went missing because of censorship laws and so on.  But the movie existed in full, there were prints shown in theaters, and not just in Hong Kong.  There has to be an intact copy, somewhere in the world.  It's a long shot, but that's one of my Holy Grails to be sure.

A Better Tomorrow II - John Woo Director's Cut:  At least The Big Boss got released.  I'm not naive.  It's very likely that none of the cut footage still exists.  But at one point, in an editor's room, it did.  If somehow, somewhere, it survives, this would be a game changer.  The movie comes so very, very close to being good.  But with about 40-60 minutes missing, it's an incoherent (sometimes incomprehensible) mess.  It could be a sequel worthy of the original.  The ship has probably sailed on this, but I can dream.

Game of Death - everything we haven't seen yet:  Okay, now I'm in the "it probably never existed to begin with" territory.  This movie will forever have a mystique to it, of what might have been.  If there's anything more, anything outside the pagoda, etc - it needs to be unearthed.  I don't expect this to ever happen.  But I never expected any of the 88/Eureka/Warner Archive re-releases to happen, either.  I love being wrong sometimes.

Two down - thanks, Arrow!

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Josh Baker said:

Black Belt Jones 2 

What even is this?  There's an "official" sequel in the form of Hot Potato (a particularly unfunny movie wherein Jim Kelly plays some guy named "Jones" bit is nothing like the first movie).

9 minutes ago, starschwar said:

What even is this?  There's an "official" sequel in the form of Hot Potato (a particularly unfunny movie wherein Jim Kelly plays some guy named "Jones" bit is nothing like the first movie).

Its an alternate title for Tattoo Connection (1978) starring Jim Kelly and Dorian Tan, I couldn't remember that title when I was typing so I typed Black Belt Jones 2 instead.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, legendarycurry said:

Daggers 8 and just a Box set of Billy Chong films would be neat. In fact make a Wilson Tong set too,

This would be dope af especially with the 2 Carl Scott flicks he made

• Like 1