Tigress Of Shaolin

HAZ

Hi,

Just picked this up. I'm about 30 minutes in & trying to stay awake. Pretty awful. Hopefully Kara does something amazing soon. Has anyone else got this yet?

h

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I must say a big ? on this one. The DVD had the original trailer but other than that I can't say I recommend this one if others are interested in purchasing it.

Maybe after I watch it a second time.

Several times I asked myself, outloud, "Now why did they make this film?"

Yeah, this movie blows. Its better than House Of Traps, but that's like saying getting kicked in the nuts is better than losing a finger. Just DL this, pal. Its all over the net already. Take the 15 bucks this would cost & go to Chinatown for Dim Sum.

Such a cool-sounding title, but what a piss poor movie. It was painful to try to sit through--as a matter of fact, I think I bailed before it ended. Waste of time. The whole leper thing was so absurd, couldn't wait for it to end. And as for the "tigress"--she had a pretty minor role even though the movie is named for her.

Is the film bad because it is truly bad or...

Is the film bad because folks went into this film with a certain expectation, based on the title, and it failed to satisfy?

The original trailer makes it look halfway decent. But trailers can be deceiving...

OrbjKejbA-s

There's a Simon Yuen look-a-like character & the movie feels like a early Jacky Chan film, but without the charisma of a Chan or the outright lunacy of a Yuen Clam flim. I'm sure someone will come out & say its great because they don't want to feel badly about their purchase. I'd rather watch Dance Of The Drunk Mantis, tho. Kara is pretty, but she doesn't figure into the movie as much as I would have liked. She doesn't even appear for the first 15-20 minutes. Derivative, uninspired, boring.

"Take the 15 bucks this would cost & go to Chinatown for Dim Sum."

My G/F is taking her kid down to NYC on friday for some card tourament and asked if I wanted to go,so you know what that means.. Shaw Bros DVDs and Dim Sum :)

I wasnt planning on going back down for movies until the spring but what the hell.

I would say it's not a "bad" film, but I can't put my finger on why I kept thinking outloud "Why did they make this film?"

Almost like, "Well we have this script, it's not very good script but it's written and we have just enough unused color film to make a movie, hey why don't we...."

In the next couple days I will try to watch it again, who knows.

Kara Hui was not used as much as expected.

Dim sum and movie shopping in NYC Chinatown--I guess I'm not the only one who has that routine. Best place IMO is Jin Feng on Elizabeth St.--up the big escalator into a surreal world of bustling carts, tables and humanity all partaking in some of the finest little treats....ahh. The only other regularly scheduled stop I make is to Bok Lei Po for martial arts weapons shopping, or whatever. Oh yeah, the Chinatown Ice Cream Factory for my girlfriend.

Now, back to the movie.....my reason for calling this a bad movie is the annoying characters who go crossing the screen. There are several characters who make you cringe every time, like that ridiculous Native American-looking clown with the sunglasses. I could go on and on, but even recalling this movie is painful for me. Save your hard-earned cash and watch the trailer if you have an urge, but I can't recommend this movie, at all.

The Tommy Chong look-a-like was awesome! That made no sense. The leper thing could have been good. I like some pretty weird stuff, but this was really boring.

This is imo one of the worst shaw movies ever. I recently saw Young Vagabond and that is far superior to Tigress. People on a budget that need a shaw fu fix definately get Vagabond over Tigress.

Crap, I knew I should have waited for feedback before buying this. Are there any good fights I should fast forward to?

wow this movie really gets bashed..I dont remember it being that bad..although I saw a very bad quality tape ages ago..I remember the intro being nice where Lau kar Yung is playing the butterfly knives..the rest I cant really remember..maybe because it was soo baaad.. ?:confused:

yeah, total annihilation mode (uncalled for imo; although i can see where its coming from).

in the end, i thought it was okay (5.5-6/10).

it suffers the most from one stupid a** script. "give me a JC type kf comedy smash hit!!!", sir run run insisted.

kind of counterproductive to make it seem like it was a kara hui vehicle on top of it.

lots of cranky "ideas" went into this but they were either blatant (GH) copies and/or simply didnt work very well.

the first (noxious) half of ToS would frolic around in areas of "corny/unoriginal/tedious" for me.

had s/o asked me to rate it after 30 mins, i`d had given it a 2.5-3/10 !

with the flick movin along, one assimilates and by halftime, i could accept the movie for what it is and did enjoy most of the 2nd half (mind u- this is definitely not a "thoroughly enjoyed").

action was nothing to write home about at first; i felt it got gradually better. all in all, ive got little complaints there.

it was tight and even had some (almost) great moments of exchanging blows.

The Tigress Of Shaolin

I don't remember much about the plot of this movie as well because it was last shown in the early 80s but I remember enough to say it was a well made kung fu film that lived up to the positive aspects of the genre.The main hero is played by Liu Chia Liang's nephew Lau Kar Yung who was a fantastic martial artist in his own rights.Wei Ying Hung is also on top form.I think the old lady who teaches Lau Kar Yung towards the end of this film is actually the star's real mother who should be Liu Chia Liang's older sister.A big hit with smashing kung fu and a little dose of slapstick comedy.Can't wait to get my hands on the Celestial/IVL release.Another must have.

Well Kwok Choi liked it!:D

Personally I thought it wasn't that bad. Similar to something like Lion vs. Lion, Fighting Fool, Kid With A Tattoo i.e. crap story and comedy but some nice shapes here and there.

I'd second that. I had similar experiences watching Lion VS Lion and Kid with a Tattoo as I did with Tigress of Shaolin.

i LOVE the fighting in Lion vs Lion. But yeah, other than that it's a below average movie. If Tigress of Shaolin has fighting like that I will be pleased.

ironfistedmonk

Lion vs Lion and Kid With a Tattoo are much better movies IMO, Tigress was one of the biggest let downs I've ever felt. I'd put it on a par with Fighting Fool as being a rare SB movie which I was really up for seeing but which fell flat on it's arse.

FIGHTING FOOL reminded me of a Chinese Terence Hill/Bud Spencer comedy in some ways and the final fight had potential but it ultimately seemed like the makers ran out of both time and ideas.

Archived