Top 5 Favorite Samurai Classics!

Sifu

Morgoth Bauglir
I meant speed-wise, that's an interesting comparison nonetheless. Even if they fight differently, am I right. Who is faster.

I don't know who was faster. Show me a clip of Bruce using a sword, and I may be able to tell you. I don't know of another way to compare them unless I saw them both using a sword.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nah, it's not that important, I gotta go for now. I wanna end it with this, I don't think he was the fastest. But in the end he was the fastest of the Chambara actors of the time. He made a name for himself like no other.

Japanese swordplay choreography >>> chinese swordplay around that time period. There's a reason why they made shaw directors watch chambara movies for inspiration. The swordfighting SB movies had at the time was often very stilted, and couldn't compare to the awesomely quick fluidity that the japanes were doing at the time.

OK I didn't get to post my picks of the topJapanese Chambara films yet,but I will add this to end your discussion, Tomisaburo Wakayama is much quicker than his brother Shintaro Katsu, I've never seen anyone who can match his Skill with a Sword in hand. His Brother is a close 2nd. but Wakayama is the Greatest hands down! And its really hard to compare Japanese to Chinese Actors they are to totally different in hand to hand and weapon combat styles, and I love both genres.

Morgoth Bauglir

Yeah Wakayama is very high level. I was just saying that Katsu is faster than Yueh Hua and Ti Lung, but you are right, they are hard to compare because the Japanese and Chinese styles are so different.

I agree, the genres are soooooooooooooo different. Obviously we'll never know for sure, but I still have to say I don't think Shintaro is as good a swordsman as Toshiro Mifune for instance. He's faster, just not as good, I think his back-handed style is much more interesting to watch though!

Tomisaburo Wakayama is most probably the Greatest Swordsman who ever graced the Silver Screen. His skill with a Sword is second to none. In Zatoichi when he twirled around his sword and returned it to his scabbard while he was a One Armed Ronin that was something that was almost impossible for any Actor to do, but he did it in a blink of any eye.

Morgoth Bauglir

That must be from Zatoichi part 2. AWESOME movie. I will have to rewatch it just to see that scene you are talking about Daisho. One thing I learned from Zatoichi #2 is that you don't fuck with Z's family.

That must be from Zatoichi part 2. AWESOME movie. I will have to rewatch it just to see that scene you are talking about Daisho. One thing I learned from Zatoichi #2 is that you don't fuck with Z's family.

............ever!

dun take it so seriously mate..chanbara is not so exciting anyway(ogami itto would maybe disagree to this)..."son of black mass" is cool character but in general chinese films far more interesting.

i'm with you sifu, i like chambara more than hk swordplay as well

as much as i like old shaw swordplay, very few wuxia can be considered on the same level with Seven Samurai or Yojimbo or the Samurai Trilogy or Sword of Doom or Hatakiri or Tenchu. it's just a whole another level of film making as far as plotting and cinematography are concerned

i'm with you sifu, i like chambara more than hk swordplay as well

Sorry dude, I agree the stories are usually more interesting, but I never said I liked one over the other. They each focus on different elements, that's what makes them unique.

that is maybe why I like wu xia movies of 1960`s so much...they combine often strong storyline I like and violent swordplay.sometimes I forget both though and just enjoy awesome shaw bros sets:o

kungfusamurai

I don't know what it is about the chinese swordplay genre. It's not the flying or the really fake looking sets that turn me off, because I don't mind them in kung fu films. Perhaps the stories are just too long-winded. They introduce a thousand characters, involve a plot that's so convoluted it's hard to follow, and worst of all, many seem to have too many body doubles in the fight scenes. Really obvious body doubles. More often than in empty handed combat, kung fu flicks.

Japanese sword films seem to be much deeper for some reason, and are more substance than flash. And the swordfighters do their own swinging, it doesn't cut to some body double doing it for them.

Some swordplay is cool, like the stuff with the venoms, and the weapons movies by Lau Kar Leung are awesome, so it might be more of a problem I have with the directors who made the chinese sword films. Plus, I dislike guys like Derek Yee and Roc Tien and Adam Cheng. I don't find their weapons play as good as the guys in venoms or lau kar leung films.

Overall, though, I think Japanese sword films are just better made on all levels, with careful thought put into each film and it's meaning (i.e. more artistic integrity), whereas the chinese swordplay flicks were just pure entertainment. But I'm really comparing, in my mind, 60s to early 70s japanese swordplay (the golden period, as far as I'm concerned) to late 70s/80s chinese swordplay. The 60s to early 70s chinese sword films are unwatchable to me. And the late 70s/80s Japanese sword films feature some great fighting, but lack the quality in story, cinematography and overall 'artsiness' that the films of the golden period of chambara had.

KFS

They introduce a thousand characters<=that is dead true with so-called classic "water margin"..I am not sure which is worse mess original over 2 hours runtime or US edit"7 blows of the dragon",too many characters and subplots kill it anyway...lone wolf and cub even as great movies somehow work even better on comics.both are equally violent but drama was lost when turned to film.still enjoyable so much.

Morgoth Bauglir

I like samurai movies a lot because they are well directed and usually have a good dark story. There are some Chinese swordplays that have that, but not enough of them. I am not saying I like Japanese more than Chinese swordplays, it just depends on what I am in the mood for.

Japanese sword films seem to be much deeper for some reason, and are more substance than flash. And the swordfighters do their own swinging, it doesn't cut to some body double doing it for them.

Some swordplay is cool, like the stuff with the venoms, and the weapons movies by Lau Kar Leung are awesome, so it might be more of a problem I have with the directors who made the chinese sword films. Plus, I dislike guys like Derek Yee and Roc Tien and Adam Cheng. I don't find their weapons play as good as the guys in venoms or lau kar leung films.

Overall, though, I think Japanese sword films are just better made on all levels, with careful thought put into each film and it's meaning (i.e. more artistic integrity), whereas the chinese swordplay flicks were just pure entertainment. But I'm really comparing, in my mind, 60s to early 70s japanese swordplay (the golden period, as far as I'm concerned) to late 70s/80s chinese swordplay. The 60s to early 70s chinese sword films are unwatchable to me. And the late 70s/80s Japanese sword films feature some great fighting, but lack the quality in story, cinematography and overall 'artsiness' that the films of the golden period of chambara had.

KFS

Well if anything the Chinese Wuxia were all heavily influnced by Chambra, the Japanese really did something special in the 50's, influencing cinema all over the world to this day. I agree most KF movies are pure entertainment, most fail to reach the dramatic impact a good Samurai film has, there are the exceptions - Bells of Death, Tiger Killer - to name a few. Though I'm equally a fan of both genres for different reasons, sometimes I want a dead serious plot drivin revenge flick, sometimes I want actrobatic Kung Fu crazyness, just depends on the mood.

kungfusamurai

Yeah, I guess it all depends on the mood. Usually I have to be in the mood to watch one of the chinese wuxia flicks, but at the end of it, I don't feel moved by any of the films or thought 'wow, I'm glad I saw that'. Maybe I'm still searching for a good one. I can't even think of which ones I've seen. Deadly Breaking Sword, definitely. One or two of those Clans films with Ti Lung. And The Sword with Adam Cheng. Funny thing, though, I actually like the chinese sword play stuff from the 80s onward. I should have mentioned that in my earlier post. Anything like the Tsui Hark flicks or Duel To The Death style of film making is right up my alley!

KFS

You know after thinking it over a bit,... a samurai needed to be fast in swordsplay ,.. afterall they had to ward off the ninja , and who's faster than ninjas?

then i recall the Shaw Bros. movie "Heroes of the East" ,now would you say Gordon Liu sword skill could hold up against a Zatoichi ?

Archived