Top 5 Favorite Samurai Classics!

Sifu

My faves would have to be.

1) Zatoichi meets the One-Armed Swordsman, both of my fave movie industries collide! I couldn't ask for more. Very interesting interaction between both, thrillingly

dramatic finale as well.

f1121ju3.jpg

2) Sanjuro

3) Samurai 7

4) Yojimbo

5) Harakiri

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WI5vzA2Pv3k

I am not much into samurai stuff but baby cart series is really good.If any chambara movie tops it,I want to see that film!

I've been looking to watch more from the Lone Wolf and Club series :cool: Shintarô Katsu is the bomb, and his brother proved himself as well.

zatoichi meets onearmed I have not seen...and did read there is 2 different edits,in one they draw and other boxer wins.

i've seen tons of chambara and while i love it all, sadly nothing i've seen yet tops lone wolf and cub. a few things come close, but not quite

Morgoth Bauglir
zatoichi meets onearmed I have not seen...and did read there is 2 different edits,in one they draw and other boxer wins.

Can anyone confirm what exactly happens? I heard they only filmed one version, and for the chinese version they just edited the footage to make it seem like Wang Yu won.

and out of the 6 Z movies I have seen, I like Z Meets the One armed Swordsman the most. Such an awesome movie.

Guest Jeffrey Frawley

I have not seen the Chinese version, but in the Japanese, Zatoichi loses nothing but a potential friend. This seemed appropriate, as Katsu Shintaro's technique was far beyond Wang Yu's.

Morgoth Bauglir

^^^:cool:^^^

Very well stated. The average movie watcher probably wouldn't appreciate zatoichi's skill. I was watching the movie with a friend, and I had to rewind and play the final sword stroke in slow mo like 5 times before he finally said- "wow, that actually was pretty cool."

I know, it's hard to tell how he makes the fatal move. They try to trick you by making it look like Jimmy loses, and then they reveal it. They didn't want to make it too obvious!

In the end it was a great movie, I just didn't think the Japanese directors of the time choreographed things as well. I mean look at it, some of it just looks like flailing around. I think one of the reasons is because katanas unlike Chinese broad swords are meant to be very exact and firm, not like the Chinese who flow more with their weapons. Even Judo and Karate are more about that, Wushu is all about flowing.

Morgoth Bauglir
I know, it's hard to tell how he makes the fatal move. They try to trick you by making it look like Jimmy loses, and then they reveal it. They didn't want to make it too obvious!

In the end it was a great movie, I just didn't think the Japanese directors of the time choreographed things as well. I mean look at it, some of it just looks like flailing around. I think one of the reasons is because katanas unlike Chinese broad swords are meant to be very exact and firm, not like the Chinese who flow more with their weapons. Even Judo and Karate are more about that, Wushu is all about flowing.

Zatiochi is just that fast. If you blink you will miss the fatal move. And for 1971, I thought the action in Z Meets the One Armed Swordsman was better than just about any Chinese movie made at the time.

Ouch, be careful. That's something you gotta think about. You really think so! I think it was better than some, but I always thought of Zatoichi having a comic book style of story, it wasn't quite as advanced as some Shaws for example. What do ya think?

Morgoth Bauglir
Ouch, be careful. That's something you gotta think about. You really think so! I think it was better than some, but I always thought of Zatoichi having a comic book style of story, it wasn't quite as advanced as some Shaws for example. What do ya think?

If you read my last post you would see I was talking about the action, not the story. You are the one who said "I just didn't think the Japanese directors of the time choreographed things as well", and I disagree with that.

If you read my last post you would see I was talking about the action, not the story. You are the one who said "I just didn't think the Japanese directors of the time choreographed things as well", and I disagree with that.

Well why do you. Chinese are less dramatic and more about the quick and fierce choreography, the Japanese are more about style. I guess it just depends upon the person. I'm more about the fight than cinematic style. It also depends on my mood!! :P

Morgoth Bauglir
Well why do you. Chinese are less dramatic and more about the quick and fierce choreography

I have never seen any Chinese actor from the the 60's or 70-71 that was quicker than zatoichi.

Morgoth Bauglir
Yueh Hua and Ti Lung were up there!

They were up there as in being as quick as Zatoichi? You need to watch again.

Morgoth Bauglir
To each his own.

:confused:

"To each his own" applies to the different tastes people have in movies. but if you think Yueh Hua or ti Lung were as quick as Zatoichi, then you are just flat out wrong. That has nothing to do with "to each his own".

Morgoth Bauglir

Ti Lung and Yueh Hua are not even close to being as fast as Zatoichi. That is not my opinion, that is fact.

Morgoth Bauglir

Hey, all I am saying is you need to watch again. I don't want you to think I am right just because I say I am right. Watch again, and watch closely. Shintaro was fast as lightning.

WOW! Wait, wait. How could I forget, I just thought of one, and you can't tell me he wasn't. I'll recant what I said, Bruce Lee though was perhaps the only one, you gotta agree.

Morgoth Bauglir
WOW! Wait, wait. How could I forget, I just thought of one, and you can't tell me he wasn't. I'll recant what I said, Bruce Lee though was perhaps the only one, you gotta agree.

Shintaro was not a hand to hand fighter. I don't see any way that you can compare him to Bruce.

I meant speed-wise, that's an interesting comparison nonetheless. Even if they fight differently, am I right. Who is faster.

Archived