Favourite Master/Teacher character??

TibetanWhiteCrane

TibetanWhiteCrane

Don't know if this topic has been up before...!

As I see it, there are Four different master/teacher characters in old skool Kung Fu flicks:

The one who teaches WITH the student, and gets into action himself, during the course of the movie. An active paticipant throughout.

The one who is a stern and strict disciplinarian. And derives pleasure from seeing the student in pain and working hard. But doesn't necessarilly spring into action himself.

The one who is lowkey, and pretty much just stand on the sideline, dropping nuggets of martial wisdom. And doesn't really bust any moves himself.

The one who is treachorous, and trains his student for evil purposes. Who lies and misleads the student, to get him to do his dirtywork.

Which one is yours?

Or any specific master/teacher character from a movie??

There are many to choose from! I enjoy the first and last on the list the most I think.

And two specific favourites are Chai Kai in SEVEN STEPS OF KUNG FU and Leung Kar Yan in WARRIORS TWO. But there is so many great ones.

Morgoth Bauglir

hmmm, so many to choose from. I would have to go with Simon Yuen from Snake in Eagle's Shadow. Also Lee Hoi San in Goose Boxer.

One of my favorite is Snake Deadly Act, pretty bad when you train someone to kill you...

Actors: Lung Chan, Wai-Man Chan, Hark-On Fung, Phillip Ko, Angela Mao

Directors: Wilson Tong :cool:

Morgoth Bauglir

Fung Hak On is great in that. I love the ending. And I forgot to list Sun Jung Chi in Shaolin vs Lama. He made that movie so much fun.

I think the best master/student relationship must be Sammo Hung (master)/Lau Kar Wing (student) in Odd Couple, since Lau is just learning his master's kung fu so that he can eventually use it to kill him. :P

Also Yasuaki Kurata and Yuen Yat Chor/Leung Kar Yan in Legend of a Fighter, although Kurata was more like a mentor than a master.

Simon Yuen in both Snake in the Eagle's Shadow and Drunken Master.

Sun Rong-Chi and Tan Tao-Liang in The Leg Fighters.

K.K. "Rambo" Kong (Chiang Cheng) in The 36 Crazy Fists.

Chen Hui-Lou in The Fearless Hyena.

How about Liang Jia Ren, in Ways Of Kung Fu? He and his wife were a riot "schooling" Meng Fei and Chi Kuai Chun!:D

Also, Liu Chia Liang, in Mad Monkey Kung Fu... When the Sifu and Prodigy show up for the showdown against Lo Lieh, you just know the finale is going to be great!! (I love the squence where Sifu is teaching Hsiao Hao the Monkey Fist hand strikes), great stuff!

The two films above are RARELY mentioned in any posts, however, they are equally very good in their own ways, different ways, but very good all the same.

Chinatown Kid

My favorite Master/Teacher duo would be a toss up between Jackie and Simon Yuen in Drunken Master and Billy Chong and Simon Yuen in Jade Claw(Crystal Fist). Also Gordon Liu and Chen Kuan Tai were great in Challenge of the Masters. Invincible Shaolin featured some great Student/Teacher chemistry as well.

Cognoscente

One thing that we don't get to see in Kung Fu movies is a scenario where two teachers play good cop/bad cop.

• Like 1