Young Master

Winfred

I am just starting to collect movies starring the underrated Wei Pai. Does he play a big role in Young Master, the Jackie Chan film? Is the HKL DVD the best quality version in the market? I bought The Magnificent Butcher recently for him but his role was so small in it.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
thundered mantis

Young Master best edition I guess it would be a toss between the HKL and the JS version (each one has goodies the other hasn´t). I´d particularly go for JS (it has the best extra, some behind the scenes/deleted scenes montage).

About Wei Pai, I´d say his best role is on Last Hurrah for Chivalry. This one, get the HKL vers., best no contest

Hi thundered mantis

Thanks for your help.

Regarding Last Hurrah For Chivalry, did you compare the HKL against the Tai Seng only or did you also include the new Dragon Dynasty release?

The HKL is so expensive at 16.99 pounds!

Hi Winfred,

In The Young Master, Wei Pai plays Jackie Chan's brother Tiger, who is kicked out of the kung fu school they train in, then helps Hwang In-Shik escape jail and Jackie is mistaken for Wei as he fights and fights, so it is more or less a big role.

ironfistedmonk

Cheeky Chap and Phantom Killer are worth checking out, Wei Pei plays the lead role in both movies. I always seem to mention this but the end fight in Cheeky Chap really gets me going, I don't think Wei Pei has ever looked better.

Movies with Wei Pai are relatively few, so go for all of them...;-)

I haven't got/seen Young Master yet, but I am planning to - Wei Pai or no, it's a classic and many people recommend it - and I like Jackie quite a lot. I am not holding my breath for Wei Pai overdose, though...;-)

I have the Dragon Dynasty release of "Last Hurrah for Chivalry" - and IMHO it was well worth the money... The quality was good and the extra features quite cool. Can't compare to other versions though.

In any case - if you don't have the movie, be sure to get it. It's a great movie.

Well, I know I loved every minute of it...

And - as ironfistedmonk has said - The Cheeky Chap and Phantom Killer certainly are worth checking out. Esp. Cheeky Chap kinda rocks, IMHO, but I am far from objective in this respect, I am afraid...;-)

the only thing about the dragon dynasty release of last hurrah is that its not the original english dub. The dub on dragon dynasty is horrendous. I watched it on subtitles

It might be this film he did in 1988 called Ghostbuster and the phantom i think. I think Wei Pai is treated so harshly i think hes really good, ok i didn't like him in Kid with the Golden Arm but nearlly evrything else hes good in.

"Devil and the Ghostbuster"...:-)

If it is him, I'd expect him to look younger in late 1980s (considering what he looked like in 1985), but the photo is tiny and I haven't seen the flick, so it may be possible I guess - he could just have gained weight...:-)

Not entirely sure, can't recall properly who's who in Return to the 36th Chamber (high time to watch it again I guess :-)), but wasn't Gordon Liu's brother actually played by Wa Lun?

Wei Pai has a great small role in Sammo Hung's "Magnificent Butcher" as well as a non fighting role in "The Prodigal Son".

The previous review on this website said that the Dragon Dynasty release of Last Hurray for Chivarly was the best released, with some great extras. I have it and it's awesome. Has a great interview with Fung Hak On.

...Has a great interview with Fung Hak On.

...and a great interview with Lee Hoi-San. Bey Logan's commentary is quite cool, too, as well as the "legendary weapons of China" featurette...

Archived