Broken Path (2007) - From the stunt team behind Drive and Special Forces

Youal

One Armed Boxer

This news could very well be capable of giving blue_skies an unaided orgasm.:tongue:

But, on a different note, who the hell is that on the cover!?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This news could very well be capable of giving blue_skies an unaided orgasm.:tongue:

But, on a different note, who the hell is that on the cover!?

You know me so well:tongue: it's about time it's getting a western release! At least now everyone can easily import a copy.

I've spent ages studying the picture and it's nobody in the film I don't think. It's the most bizarre artwork having Nothing to do with the film.

Nice! If anyone picks up this UK DVD please post a review - if it's good I will definitely import.

you should definitely important it's a fantastic film!

WHAT!!!????!!!

Dadgummit! I mean.....that's great for you guys but when is that getting a legit US release? AAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!

SD, If there was ever an excuse to get a multi-region player this is it!:xd:

I picked this up the other day.....WOWEE

It's like the worst home movie ever!!! Eastern Heroes used to have a Video magazine-uugghh!!-with a section on homemade kung fu movies called Stop Kung Fu.....this would have fitted in perfectly

Acting....what's that??

The movie only has about 10 people in the entire cast.....they could have employed someone who even attempts to act, couldn't they??

At least the action is good....

Sadly I found that, because the fights are between, basically, the same people all thru the flik....even that becomes tedious after a short while.

Lets hope there is never a part 2!!!!

At least the action is good....

Sadly I found that, because the fights are between, basically, the same people all thru the flik....even that becomes tedious after a short while.

Lets hope there is never a part 2!!!!

the action is good? Come on the action is great! And I can't see how you think it becomes tedious even with the same players of a small cast being used so heavily. There is a huge variety of action and stunts, it's brutal, bloody and amazingly intense… Is barely a moment to think about anything.

by the way how was the picture and audio quality, anamorphic widescreen? 5.1 sound?

The quality??

Best home movie print I have ever seen!!

Johnny Yong Bosch deserves this years Golden Raspberry....

It was accomplished amazingly for what it is. Granted, the acting is sub-par and it's not exactly an engaging plot but for a pretty much non-stop action film, on a low budget, it's pretty fantastic.

One Armed Boxer
Johnny Yong Bosch deserves this years Golden Raspberry....

Except that the movie was made in 2008, so wouldn't be eligible....

It's a shame you didn't enjoy it, & I'd take it as a sign you're not familiar with director Koichi Sakamoto & his Alpha Stunts team, who where also responsible for what many people call the best American made martial arts movie of all time, 'Drive', and another Yong Bosch movie 'Extreme Heist'.

These guys, along with groups like the Stunt People ('Contour' has some jaw dropping exchanges), are pretty much carrying the torch for the old school HK choreography style, I'm sure it's not too much of an effort to overlook the humble budget (& yes, acting skills) that they have, when the action on display is so first rate.

I saw Drive way back in the late 90's and have been aware of Alpha stunts since Power Rangers, I am aware of Koichi Sakamoto.

I am aware of Abe Tsuyoshi also, who did execellent choreography work on two Gary Daniels movies City Of Fear (which has a better opening fight than anything in Broken Path-it ends properly too with one guy beaten, Daniels, not continuously fighting again and again unlike Broken Path) and Black Friday (where both men fought again in a car park-and again one loses, Tsuyoshi).

I have seen US Seals 2 also...and others....there was a Lundgren, cant remember the title, a Issac Florentine post apocolyptic flik with Alpha stuntwork...Ninja was a great movie that I thoroughly enjoyed rewatching...

As for Drive being best Western made MA action flik, it's damn good but....I prefer Undisputed 3...

I didnt like Broken Path too much...so what??

Reel Power Stunts

II'd take it as a sign you're not familiar with director Koichi Sakamoto & his Alpha Stunts team, who where also responsible for what many people call the best American made martial arts movie of all time, 'Drive',..

I'm sure he is more than aware of "Drive"

These guys, along with groups like the Stunt People ('Contour' has some jaw dropping exchanges), are pretty much carrying the torch for the old school HK choreography style, I'm sure it's not too much of an effort to overlook the humble budget (& yes, acting skills) that they have, when the action on display is so first rate.

I get your point, and agree that some great choreography can be found on youtube, vimeo etc... However, I have reached a point where if a film has amatuerish image, sound, plot, performances etc, I don't want to bother. I'm not talking about "Broken Path" - I've not seen it. I just think IF I want to watch "homemade" action, I can watch it online...not necessarily as a narrative film.

My feelings about these projects is mixed. I admire the talents and the fact that folks are doing this action. However, would I choose to pay good money for a disc, and watch it on the home cinema system? Rather in the same way I avoid recent HK fight-action movies (because they usually disappoint), I'd rather save my time and money to watch an "old" film - be it Sammo, YWP, or "Drive" than something purely because it's "new".

Martial art movie fans are usually quite tolerable of iffy production values, plots and performances...but I find most of the shot-on-video features unable to tolerate once the fists stop flying.

One Armed Boxer
As for Drive being best Western made MA action flik, it's damn good but....I prefer Undisputed 3...

I think you're refering to 'Undisputed 3'....and agreed, it's a good movie. However I really hope they take it out of the ring for the fourth installment, I'd like to see Adkins unleashed on the streets, the only movie that's really gotten close to it is 'Ninja'.

No "so what", just having a discussion, always a downer when a fellow martial arts fan didn't enjoy a good fight flick as much as you thought they would.

My feelings about these projects is mixed. I admire the talents and the fact that folks are doing this action. However, would I choose to pay good money for a disc, and watch it on the home cinema system?

I agree, if I'm to be perfectly honest as much as I admire the talents of many of the short films which have been posted on these forums of late from various groups (the exception being the Stunt People), there is no way I would part cash for a DVD of their efforts, they are simply too amateurish.

However groups like Alpha Stunts and the Stunt People seem to have enough backing to create, while in no way highly polished movies, at least coherent and well shot enough to warrant a purchase in my book. The final fight in 'Contour' has some great camera work in it, including one scene where the camera actually moves through a ladder while following the one on one, that takes some skill.

I am aware of Abe Tsuyoshi also, who did execellent choreography work on two Gary Daniels movies City Of Fear (which has a better opening fight than anything in Broken Path-it ends properly too with one guy beaten, Daniels, not continuously fighting again and again unlike Broken Path) and Black Friday (where both men fought again in a car park-and again one loses, Tsuyoshi).

I have seen US Seals 2 also...and others....there was a Lundgren, cant remember the title, a Issac Florentine post apocolyptic flik with Alpha stuntwork...Ninja was a great movie that I thoroughly enjoyed rewatching...

Those are some pretty tall words with regards to City of Fear and I'll have to re-watch, I'm pretty sure I've seen it but don't remember any Gary Daniels movie entertaining me that much on the whole. Still one opening scene doesn't make a great martial arts movie! In my humble opinion Broken Path is about as good as it gets for modern martial arts cinema. Simply breathtaking edge of the seat, adrenaline fuelled brutality with tons of creativity and even with its low budget I certainly unhesitating recommending it to anybody who has an interest in martial arts cinema unless you're not so interested in much violence. Would definitely be among my contenders for best US martial arts production. It's a shame you don't like it! I don't understand it but then again I wouldn't call Ninja a great movie, I enjoyed it and will watch it again sometime, clearly a massive difference in opinions.

I'm sure he is more than aware of "Drive"

I get your point, and agree that some great choreography can be found on youtube, vimeo etc... However, I have reached a point where if a film has amatuerish image, sound, plot, performances etc, I don't want to bother. I'm not talking about "Broken Path" - I've not seen it. I just think IF I want to watch "homemade" action, I can watch it online...not necessarily as a narrative film.

My feelings about these projects is mixed. I admire the talents and the fact that folks are doing this action. However, would I choose to pay good money for a disc, and watch it on the home cinema system? Rather in the same way I avoid recent HK fight-action movies (because they usually disappoint), I'd rather save my time and money to watch an "old" film - be it Sammo, YWP, or "Drive" than something purely because it's "new".

Martial art movie fans are usually quite tolerable of iffy production values, plots and performances...but I find most of the shot-on-video features unable to tolerate once the fists stop flying.

I agree I can tolerate quite a lot if the action is up to snuff and there's enough of it. I wouldn't say the acting would fall into the terrible category by martial Arts standards, it's not going to win any Oscars but at the same time it did the job. I also wouldn't call the production amateur, low-budget yes and well worth buying the original DVD. For me personally I don't usually watch a movie more than once a year, often I haven't seen many of these fantastic martial arts movies I love in a lot more years, yet I probably watched Broken Path something like six times in as many months. Personally I think it represents everything Hong Kong should be doing, although could perhaps be more intricate, but given its sheer intensity and brutality, it's easily amongst the best of the best from the last decade.

I agree, if I'm to be perfectly honest as much as I admire the talents of many of the short films which have been posted on these forums of late from various groups (the exception being the Stunt People), there is no way I would part cash for a DVD of their efforts, they are simply too amateurish.

However groups like Alpha Stunts and the Stunt People seem to have enough backing to create, while in no way highly polished movies, at least coherent and well shot enough to warrant a purchase in my book. The final fight in 'Contour' has some great camera work in it, including one scene where the camera actually moves through a ladder while following the one on one, that takes some skill.

absolutely, I have to agree with that.

Reel Power Stunts
I probably watched Broken Path something like six times in as many months. Personally I think it represents everything Hong Kong should be doing, although could perhaps be more intricate, but given its sheer intensity and brutality, it's easily amongst the best of the best from the last decade.

I want to repeat that my comments weren't specifically directed at "Broken Path". I've not seen the film....BUT after what you just wrote, I think I had better give it a try! Thanks.

I just bought the uk dvd for £8 at HMV. It is wide but not anamorphic widescreen. Picture quality is very good, I compared it to the copy I own and it looks very much the same. They have burnt in screen subs whenever they speak in japanese. There's a chapter select and the trailer but I'm not sure if it's the original trailer.

After watching this for the second time I still really enjoyed it but not as much as the first time watching it. The endfight was the highlight for me and the only action scene I rewatched again. There's also one scene near the end when there are no subs for the japanese dialogue so I can't work out what was said.

I think it could have used a flashback scene to show when they were all in the organisation as killers. That would have helped me get more into each of the cast members. But this is still a great action packed movie that I would highly recommend.

Got to watch this and watching it as a whole movie was not a good experience for me. The fight choreography is good but I could not get over the fact that they keep on fighting even with stab wounds and final blow take downs,

FrankBolte

the fighting was good but way too much..sometimes less is more,right?

Everything else was a crapfest.....

Drunken Monk

I think it's sad that the film is judged so harshly. "Ong Bak," without the fight scenes, is, in theory, a pile of shit, and yet it's still recognized as somewhat of a landmark film, these days.

Yes, "Broken Path" is low budget but for a film to contain that much action and keep the energy level up that high? It's pretty much unheard of.

I, personally, didn't find the fighting tedious. They maintained the choreography very well. Granted, it's not "Citizen Kane" but then neither is "The Prodigal Son."

blue_skies
I think it's sad that the film is judged so harshly. "Ong Bak," without the fight scenes, is, in theory, a pile of shit, and yet it's still recognized as somewhat of a landmark film, these days.

Yes, "Broken Path" is low budget but for a film to contain that much action and keep the energy level up that high? It's pretty much unheard of.

I, personally, didn't find the fighting tedious. They maintained the choreography very well. Granted, it's not "Citizen Kane" but then neither is "The Prodigal Son."

Yes exactly "broken path" is a high-intensity thrill ride of a martial arts movie. I must admit I'm shocked by some of the recent negativity surrounding comments on this thread. The movie does exactly what is supposed to do and does it superbly.:xd:

stuntpeople

Based on what Johnny said it seems Broken Path took WAY too long to be released, what with its limited distribution (in Africa!) and such. It was going to be "the thing" that made them all big, but the timing screwed it all up. He told me they shot the whole thing in something like 20 days, shot it on 35mm and the producer managed to get the budget around something like fifty grand, which is insane. They got this ranch in Texas for cheap and just did everything there.

The end fight took one day. Johnny said Koichi just had it all in his head, so they just blasted through the choreography. Johnny also split his head open when he ran head-first into a fireplace. Dude's a tough mother.

Anyway, with all its flaws, I'll watch that end fight a thousand times before watching a fight from Batman Begins.

ShaOW!linDude
Anyway, with all its flaws, I'll watch that end fight a thousand times before watching a fight from Batman Begins.

True story! And I have yet to get to see Broken Path but the fights in Batman Begins were superbly disappointing.

I hate that this never got a legit release in the US when it should have. But at least it didn't totally get kiboshed and found a life so that fans could learn of it and appreciate it.

I finally watched Broken Path last night. I went into this movie with the same premise I did with Undisputed 2. That is a bunch of my friends had reccomended it to me. That was a good movie. Undisputed 2 and 3 for that matter. Anyways, Broken Path was a bit of a let down for me. I like nonstop action granted I am a Woo Ping fan, but man a movie needs some breathing room. Also I can deal with lack of reality if I'm watchin say a sci or superhero movie. 20 mins after the fighting had started u know after them fellas came in acting and yes I mean "acting" like he was tryin ta stab them 20 mins past that I was bored. I was seeing alot of the same knife fights same arm locks. The hokeyness of the villians laughin while chasing them around the house. I didn't think the acting when the movie starts out was that bad though. Typical young couple just moved to the country blah blah blah. Their acting skills didn't seem so sub par to me. Every movie has its ups and downs. I feel JYB is extremely talented though the whole stunt squad is really. If they could have gotten more of a budget they could have done so much more.

Archived