Broken Path (2007) - From the stunt team behind Drive and Special Forces

Youal

The Amazing Psycho Per

I honestly don't get what you are so excited about... Choreography was uninventive and repetitive, like watching the same boring fight over and over again. I even fast forwarded through some of the fights to see if the last one was better then the rest but it wasn't.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I honestly don't get what you are so excited about... Choreography was uninventive and repetitive, like watching the same boring fight over and over again. I even fast forwarded through some of the fights to see if the last one was better then the rest but it wasn't.

Disagree. The fights were different:

Close quarter combat

Weapons

Using environment

and different stlyes:

Kung Fu

MMA

Tae Kwon Do

Judo

Hapkido

Muay Thai

Krav Maga

Alot going on in this film. Repetitive un-inventive choreography is the norm. This film stands out from the rest in terms of martial arts in a film. No strings attached!

Some slight Donnie Yen style undercranking but for me this was a superior MA flick, violent with a constant stream of action and all very much in the style of the late 80's kickboxing films. Totally brutal and reccomended from me... just wish I could find it on dvd :/

ChopSockyCinema

Yeah, I checked this one out a while ago after all the hype.

It's good, but it doesn't deserve the level of hype its getting. Nowhere near the level of Drive. About the same as some Power Rangers episodes in terms of choreography. Definitely didn't fast forward anything though!

Yeah, I checked this one out a while ago after all the hype.

It's good, but it doesn't deserve the level of hype its getting. Nowhere near the level of Drive. About the same as some Power Rangers episodes in terms of choreography. Definitely didn't fast forward anything though!

I recently saw Drive again and I have to say after Broken Path it really seemed tame. As good as Drive is, the sheer intensity of Broken Path is like a shot of pure Adrenalin. The hype is justified in my opinion.:xd:

I recently saw Drive again and I have to say after Broken Path it really seemed tame. As good as Drive is, the sheer intensity of Broken Path is like a shot of pure Adrenalin. The hype is justified in my opinion.:xd:

Agreed for me personally i was on the edge of my seat hoping that they would get to the end and just when you felt "safe" theyd up the ante again. this is a sign of a good movie if the tension is there. (love Drive too though great little buddy actioner)

Many thanks to you "Broken Path" fans. Though this was a very difficult shoot for all of us, we really enjoyed working on something that we thought the action fans would get a kick from.

We shot Broken Path in a small town a couple hours North of Dallas and when I say it was a labor of love...let me tell you...working in 100+degree heat (38+ degree C for anyone else outside of the US)during the summer for 2 weeks, fighting heat exhaustion and heat stroke...I can't be more proud to have worked on a project such as Broken Path. Even more so than many of the big budget films I've worked on. There's something to be said about the camaraderie of working w/ friends. We've all worked together since the Power Ranger days and jumping back into the saddle (so to speak) felt really good. Koichi's genius never ceases to amaze me, not just in his choreography, but his skill as a director. What you see on film, most of the action shots were done in one take. That's the plus side of working w/ people who know each other's energy and timing.

A couple tidbits to wet your appetite that never made any outtakes.

1. Tadahiro Nakamura's high fall was a mistake. He was supposed to land on the couch. We measured the distance of his arc from the top balcony but just prior to shooting the fall, Tadahiro wanted the couch closer. Take a closer look at the fall, his shoulder clips the couch and actually makes him hit the ground harder. One take!!! It took him an hour to shake it off but he was right back into the swing of things, fighting even more as we filmed later in the day.

2. Johnny Bosch gets thrown into a corner shelf. He split the back of his head on the 2nd or 3rd take. He continued the shot after knocking his head against it and when Koichi yelled cut, Johnny touched the back of his head and showed us the blood on his hand. He went to the doctor, got stitched up, and came back later in the day to fight more.

3. My first fight w/ Johnny in the bedroom. He gives me multiple right crosses that sends me to the wall. On his 3rd punch, he actually clocked my jaw. Ouch! But at least I couldn't fake the reaction. hahaha

Anyway...just wanted to give all of you a shout out and thank you for support. Makes us feel good to know you enjoyed our little project. On another note, keep your eyes peeled for several future projects slated with Mark Dacascos starring...they'll be just as enjoyable and action packed as Drive.

Cheers,

Sonny Sison

"Jiro - The Blue Masked Assassin"

Broken Path

One Armed Boxer

Hi Sonny....wow, many thanks for taking the time to give your insights into the movie, I'll definitely be putting it back in the DVD player again to check out tonight!

I can't believe you where shooting in 38 degree heat, just standing still in that kind of temperature is enough to make me start sweating, let alone performing long take fight scenes, great work...your efforts certianly paid off.

2. Johnny Bosch gets thrown into a corner shelf. He split the back of his head on the 2nd or 3rd take. He continued the shot after knocking his head against it and when Koichi yelled cut, Johnny touched the back of his head and showed us the blood on his hand. He went to the doctor, got stitched up, and came back later in the day to fight more.

I noticed this even the very first time I watched it! Bosch gets slammed pretty hard into the corner shelf and my first thought was "that had to hurt!".

3. My first fight w/ Johnny in the bedroom. He gives me multiple right crosses that sends me to the wall. On his 3rd punch, he actually clocked my jaw. Ouch! But at least I couldn't fake the reaction. hahaha

As long as your arm and manhood are still intact...good to hear you survived!

On another note, keep your eyes peeled for several future projects slated with Mark Dacascos starring...they'll be just as enjoyable and action packed as Drive.

Great! This is 'Man of Action' right? It'll be interesting to see how the 3D turns out, but anything that puts Dacascos, Steve Wang, and Koichi Sakamoto back together again is fine by me!

Jeru the Damaja
Many thanks to you "Broken Path" fans. Though this was a very difficult shoot for all of us, we really enjoyed working on something that we thought the action fans would get a kick from.

We shot Broken Path in a small town a couple hours North of Dallas and when I say it was a labor of love...let me tell you...working in 100+degree heat (38+ degree C for anyone else outside of the US)during the summer for 2 weeks, fighting heat exhaustion and heat stroke...I can't be more proud to have worked on a project such as Broken Path. Even more so than many of the big budget films I've worked on. There's something to be said about the camaraderie of working w/ friends. We've all worked together since the Power Ranger days and jumping back into the saddle (so to speak) felt really good. Koichi's genius never ceases to amaze me, not just in his choreography, but his skill as a director. What you see on film, most of the action shots were done in one take. That's the plus side of working w/ people who know each other's energy and timing.

A couple tidbits to wet your appetite that never made any outtakes.

1. Tadahiro Nakamura's high fall was a mistake. He was supposed to land on the couch. We measured the distance of his arc from the top balcony but just prior to shooting the fall, Tadahiro wanted the couch closer. Take a closer look at the fall, his shoulder clips the couch and actually makes him hit the ground harder. One take!!! It took him an hour to shake it off but he was right back into the swing of things, fighting even more as we filmed later in the day.

Anyway...just wanted to give all of you a shout out and thank you for support. Makes us feel good to know you enjoyed our little project. On another note, keep your eyes peeled for several future projects slated with Mark Dacascos starring...they'll be just as enjoyable and action packed as Drive.

Cheers,

Sonny Sison

"Jiro - The Blue Masked Assassin"

Broken Path

When will this movie be available on region 1 dvd?

One Armed Boxer
As was already posted earlier in this thread, Broken Path is available as a made-to-order DVD-R from Amazon now:

Ha ha...just checked out the link, 'Broken Path' is being touted as an Israeli movie now!? On top of that, it's a poor quality bootleg, this is the review from the actual page you've provided the link to -

Israeli bootleg. Don't bother with this one unless you like blurry kung fu.

While the movie itself is okay. This DVD is a RIPOFF!! It looks like a grainy youtube video. It's Blurry... pixelated... mono sound. This DVD also states on the box "more Israeli films available at [...]". Just a heads up as to where your money is really going if you buy this. Save your money and wait for an official release.

Jeru the Damaja
As was already posted earlier in this thread, Broken Path is available as a made-to-order DVD-R from Amazon now:

Amazon Link

Yeah I actually purchased this amazon version. The movie wouldn't even play in my dvd player, and eventually I had to end up watching it on my computer. The dvd-r was pretty poor quality, but I still thoroughly enjoyed the movie. It was non-stop action from beginning to end. I think Broken Path has the ability to gain sort of a cult following in the martial arts film fan community, but it really needs an official region 1 dvd release. That is why I was inquiring as to when or if there would ever be an official release.

don't forget the costly south african region 2 dvd available from amazon uk!

it is great to hear from someone involved in this modern classic...would be awesome to hear others memories of production.:xd:

Thanks for posting the info about the Amazon DVD-R. Sad to hear it is of such low quality, especially for the price they are asking. I would assume that they are offering this option instead of releasing a proper Region 1 DVD. Shame, as the movie deserves a better release.

I never chimed in on this film but while it looks amazing I almost think Johnny Yong Bosch and Dan Southworth should have traded character roles. For me Johnny was lacking in form and power slightly but I feel would have done well as an unexpected villain to challenge the obviously bigger Southworth. Just my 2 cents on a very good fight film. I always loved the way Koichi Sakamoto almost over does it with the bone crunching reaction falls.

I had contacted one of the main producers to see what the situation is regarding distribution. I have told him that I have contacts that can get it distributed in the US and other territories but he's been slow in getting back to me.

Like all of you, I wonder what has prevented it from being aired, at least on cable television. With as much junk as I've seen on Showtime, Cinemax and other cable channels, there's absolutely no reason why Broken Path can't be sold!

Just checked this out. Good little flick that deserves a dvd release. I never though I would say this, but there is almost too much fighting in this movie. It actually takes away from it's impact a little when these guys are beating the snot of out of each for literally the entire run time.

I watched this again last night and it was just as good as the first time, having now seen it around five or six times in less than a year. Considering I don't usually watch a film more than twice a year, if that, that says a lot about it. Even though I knew what was coming up I still found it immensely intense and kept me at the edge of my seat most of the movie. Superb. Brutal. Action-packed excellence. :xd:

I hope Johnny Yong Bosch and Alpha Stunts work together again as both this and Extreme Heist are very, very good films with lots of top action.

I was just perusing Amazon.com and while looking at Broken Path someone had commented on one of the reviews, the one that describes it as a poor Israeli bootleg. Anyway that guy said that Johnny Yong Bosch said that version is the legitimate release in the States. I just wondered if more information is needed. I did recently hear that Amazon are producing legitimately made to order DVDs.

For anyone wanting the film surely it's worth getting in contact with Amazon to find out more. Probably worth asking if the DVD doesn't have a certain level of quality, surely you should be entitled to a refund. If it's really legitimate it should be a good quality version of the film.

Is there any way to get confirmation from Johnny Yong Bosch?

Perhaps Amazon could confirm the DVD technical specs?

ShaOW!linDude

WHAT!!!????!!!

Dadgummit! I mean.....that's great for you guys but when is that getting a legit US release? AAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!

Archived