Bruceploitation Reviews

Guest jirpy100

DrNgor
On 4/22/2020 at 2:42 PM, Drunken Monk said:

Bruce Lee’s Secret - If this is meant to be a lesser Bruce Li movie, I don’t see it! While it’s not quite as good as some of his true classics, this is still a great movie. The action comes thick and fast, Carter Wong doesn’t look slow and clunky for once and then Hwang Jang Lee turns up in leather fingerless gloves!

On 4/22/2020 at 4:45 PM, saltysam said:

i love this movie, i find it one of Bruce Li's most rewatchable movies. It's got a great cast, Roy Horan included! unintentional comedy (the opening restaurant scene where he's hiding from "old bitch" The sadly deceased Robert Kerver getting a mullering from Li at least 5 times in the opening 40 minutes, the whiny kid on the docks. It's great - i have the kuenfist widescreen custom which while off a cleaned up VHS is actually decent quality.

I revisited this film today. Still a fun movie with lots of good fight scenes, plus some of the ugliest wigs and Gwailo extras in cinema history. Oh, the 1970s. 

Full review: https://abeautifulfilm.blogspot.com/2022/03/story-of-dragon-1976.html

• Like 3

Drunken Monk

Great review. I don’t remember this one very well. I’ll be honest, I have slight Bruceploitation fatigue and they’ve all blended together in my head. It’s pretty frustrating that I can’t separate one from the other at this stage. Hopefully, as we get more Bruceploitation box sets, I’ll be able to decipher the ones I love from the ones I don’t.

PandaPawPaw

The Dragon Lives is a really sucky movie. Like a bad version of Super Dragon with some really weird scenes. Quite a chore to get through.

No shit Sherlock!

7a.jpg.539fdf3a7db1afc02c059bbe5d78f9b7.jpg

8.jpg.e50a0e37e7b66adab8690e2eb7b8b67a.jpg

Then there's all this coffee brewing and stuffed toys moving on their own during a bonk scene!

3.jpg.e17cc5a8815ba7873f945cd4100a1874.jpg

4.jpg.863222773105c0c60799e8e012409ded.jpg

2.jpg.9d7c5874c5f59b945b319ad0122a4008.jpg

6.jpg.97d822bff717b390777d125d951f4145.jpg

I agree with the Iron Sheik..............

:P

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, PandaPawPaw said:

The Dragon Lives is a really sucky movie. Like a bad version of Super Dragon with some really weird scenes. Quite a chore to get through.

No shit Sherlock!

7a.jpg.539fdf3a7db1afc02c059bbe5d78f9b7.jpg

8.jpg.e50a0e37e7b66adab8690e2eb7b8b67a.jpg

Then there's all this coffee brewing and stuffed toys moving on their own during a bonk scene!

3.jpg.e17cc5a8815ba7873f945cd4100a1874.jpg

4.jpg.863222773105c0c60799e8e012409ded.jpg

2.jpg.9d7c5874c5f59b945b319ad0122a4008.jpg

6.jpg.97d822bff717b390777d125d951f4145.jpg

I agree with the Iron Sheik..............

:P

I believe Michael Worth has some really interesting intepretations in that Clone Podcast, especially regarding that Coffee scene. Has something to do with stamina? Bruceploitation movies are deep, philosophical stuff lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Dragon Lives (Taiwan, 1976: Wang Hsing-Lei) - aka King of Kung Fu; He's a Legend, He's a HeroStrange biopic from Bruce Li--one of five he made between 1974 and 1976--that jumps around tonally. Bruce heads to San Francisco as a young man and then hitches a ride, hobo-style, to Long Beach for the infamous Long Beach International Karate Championships, which is portrayed like the tournament scene in Master of the Flying Guillotine. Bruce takes on the heavyweight boxing champion and wins, which earns him a place on "The Green Hornet." When Bruce has a dispute with the director of the latter's insistence that he wear a queue, Bruce heads back to Hong Kong and becomes a movie star. He has an affair with Betty Ting Pei (Chen Su-Chen) and starts training himself to death, especially when he gets invited to work on a (fictitious) film co-starring the aforementioned boxer.

Bruce Lee - A Dragon Story was more accurate, but had so little action that American distributors had to splice in fights from Superior Youngster and Little SupermanYoung Bruce Lee really just did its own thing. This one pays lip service to events in Bruce Lee's life, and jumps back and forth in tone between happy-go-lucky, somber (whenever he's pondering the treatment of Asians in Hollywood), and even dark (whenever he's over-training himself). The recreations of fights from his movies are better than those in Dragon Story, especially the Fist of Fury dojo scene. Strangely enough, the movie ends with him having sex with Betty Ting Pei: Yep, a kung fu movie whose climax is also the lead actress's.

All that said, you're better off sticking with Bruce Lee's Secret and Bruce Lee - The Man, the Myth.

• Like 2

Killer Meteor
On 8/30/2024 at 12:12 PM, DrNgor said:

The Dragon Lives (Taiwan, 1976: Wang Hsing-Lei) - aka King of Kung Fu; He's a Legend, He's a HeroStrange biopic from Bruce Li--one of five he made between 1974 and 1976--that jumps around tonally. Bruce heads to San Francisco as a young man and then hitches a ride, hobo-style, to Long Beach for the infamous Long Beach International Karate Championships, which is portrayed like the tournament scene in Master of the Flying Guillotine. Bruce takes on the heavyweight boxing champion and wins, which earns him a place on "The Green Hornet." When Bruce has a dispute with the director of the latter's insistence that he wear a queue, Bruce heads back to Hong Kong and becomes a movie star. He has an affair with Betty Ting Pei (Chen Su-Chen) and starts training himself to death, especially when he gets invited to work on a (fictitious) film co-starring the aforementioned boxer.

Bruce Lee - A Dragon Story was more accurate, but had so little action that American distributors had to splice in fights from Superior Youngster and Little SupermanYoung Bruce Lee really just did its own thing. This one pays lip service to events in Bruce Lee's life, and jumps back and forth in tone between happy-go-lucky, somber (whenever he's pondering the treatment of Asians in Hollywood), and even dark (whenever he's over-training himself). The recreations of fights from his movies are better than those in Dragon Story, especially the Fist of Fury dojo scene. Strangely enough, the movie ends with him having sex with Betty Ting Pei: Yep, a kung fu movie whose climax is also the lead actress's.

All that said, you're better off sticking with Bruce Lee's Secret and Bruce Lee - The Man, the Myth.

I never got why Bruce has a 'tache in the film re-creation scenes.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Killer Meteor said:

I never got why Bruce has a 'tache in the film re-creation scenes.

Yeah, that was an especially odd detail.