Bruceploitation Reviews

Guest jirpy100

Drunken Monk

Well, while Bruce Lee in New Guinea had enough action to keep it entertaining as a kung fu film and enough craziness to make me smile throughout, Bruce Lee Against Supermen did not have the same.
I'll be honest, I didn't find it that bad. I've seen worse. But its insanity really drags it down. The Green Hornet in a superhero outfit? Lung Fei as a literal Superman? A five minute scene in which two women wrestle in a bathtub with the shower conveniently turned on? Okay, I didn't mind that last bit but there's a lot of bullshit to wade through to get to the good stuff here.
Are the fights good? Hmm...not really. For a 1975 movie, the choreography isn't too shabby. But it's a lot of Bruce Li just booting people in the face rather than actual blow for blow fight scenes. When it does pick up towards the end, it's pretty good. Lung Fei, despite his silly outfit, does a good job at matching Bruce Li in the skill department. It's just not enough to take everything up to a respectable level.

If you're truly out of kung fu movies to watch, maybe give this one a go. But if you want cool superhero antics, just watch Super Inframan again.

Spoiler: Lung Fei's Superman does get offed by being stabbed in the dick.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

Well I goofed, this morning. I opted for Bruce Lee We Miss You. While hilarious at times (its reenactment of Bruce Lee's death is one of the funniest things I've seen in ages), it just never gets off the ground in terms of plot or action. The fight scenes aren't a travesty or anything; they're just painfully average. Combined with the mediocrity of everything else, the film ends up being a bit of a chore.
It's funny as fuck that Bruce Li plays both his character and Bruce Lee in this. Such a weird decision. Also, for some reason, like a plethora of other Bruce Li films, we get a dose of the ol' black face.

Sadly, there's not much talent to spruce this one up. No Chen Sing, Bolo, Lee Hoi San etc. Just Lung Fei's granddad looking ass.

This movie is worth watching for one reason: there's a fight on top of a bus that genuinely feel fresh and original for its time. Dangerous too. Granted, they're not doing 90 mph or anything, but there's definitely a sense of risk about the whole thing. That was probably my favourite fight scene. 

If you like seeing tight silk shirts and flared pants in action, this might be the movie for you. Otherwise? It's one to skip.

Yes that death scene was hilarious and ott. Li, while chugging a bottle of liquor gets up on the bed clutching his head, then bends down and throws himself backwards all the time wearing those aviator shades. That shit had me and my cousin busting out with hysterical laughter and rolling on the floor when first seeing this on vhs years ago. Good times man. :rofl

Edited by CT KID
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, shukocarl1441996347 said:

Here are my favourite Bruce Li films: Fist of Fury Part 2, Soul Brothers of Kung fu, Bruce Lee the Man the Myth, Dynamo, Dragon Force, Exit the Dragon-Enter the Tiger, Fist of Fury III, Image of Bruce Lee, Iron Dragon Strikes Back, Edge of Fury, Return of the Tiger. They in my opinion are the best of his output.

I agree with all your picks except Exit the Dragon, the production values were higher than usual and gave the film an above average visual slickness to it but l just couldn't get past the aweful fight scenes. This was before Ho improved so much in later films starting with The Man/The Myth, and got better and better. In this film he looked so slow and awkward with his techniques. Fist of Fury 3 is the only Li movie that I somehow missed, gonna have to check it out according to your recommendation.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

Fist of Fury 3

This one was in 1979, so you can see the Seasonal influence creeping into it. It clashes tonally with part 2, which was bleak and dour.

• Like 2

One Armed Boxer
9 hours ago, DrNgor said:

Now I want to see your take on Young Bruce Lee aka Chinese Chieh Chuan Kung Fu.

AKA one of @mpm74's Top 5!

• Like 2

DragonClaws
9 hours ago, DrNgor said:

This one was in 1979, so you can see the Seasonal influence creeping into it. It clashes tonally with part 2, which was bleak and dour.

Hon Kwok-Choi steps up for the comedy role here, I recall the finale being pretty dark and sombre though.

• Like 1

shukocarl1441996347
15 hours ago, CT KID said:

I agree with all your picks except Exit the Dragon, the production values were higher than usual and gave the film an above average visual slickness to it but l just couldn't get past the aweful fight scenes. This was before Ho improved so much in later films starting with The Man/The Myth, and got better and better. In this film he looked so slow and awkward with his techniques. Fist of Fury 3 is the only Li movie that I somehow missed, gonna have to check it out according to your recommendation.

I think the beach/rocks duel with the great Chang Yi makes up for the more lacklustre fights. Li wasn't quite there with his Fu in 1975 when I think this was shot. The U.S. post-production made it a lot better with the dubbing and music and it was the first Li flick I saw (midnight show) so I have a certain fondness for it. :-)

• Like 2

Drunken Monk

I've just finished Image of Bruce Lee and wow, this was was fantastic. It's basically a non-stop fight fest from start to finish and only takes breaks for a little plot and, of course, those full frontal scenes. I don't know who this Dana lady is but she's certainly...talented? Same woman from Bruce Lee in New Guinea, right?
They keep the plot simple in this one: the bad guys are making fake money. Bruce Li comes along to kick everyone's arse. As does his partner, Mark Cheung Lui. Sue, there's a little fracas between Han Ying Chieh and Bolo but that's about as deep as it gets. This is not a complaint.
I love how Ho Chung Tao's character is asked to carefully watch the bad guys and yet, whenever he comes across them, he just flying kicks them in the temple. Great stuff. I really, really enjoyed this one.

Of course, they dub track has to justify the film's title so there's the obligatory "You look like Bruce Lee" line but, save for that, there's very little Bruce Lee stuff going on. If any.
Also, there's a bizarre dig at the Japanese in the last sixty seconds of the movie. It seemed to come out of nowhere - "Japanese men beat their wives." Classy.

I highly recommend this one for fight fans.

• Like 2

Drunken Monk

I have a question. As I'm watching all these Ho Chung Tao films, I'm beginning to realize that I truly love his style. It's not quite shapes but it's not quite basher style either. It's like intricate kickboxing.
Can someone recommend other films where this type of choreography is used? I feel like there are loads of gems I'm missing out on. I saw some of Bruce Leung's Call Me Dragon and that looked to have a similar style. Are there others?

• Like 2

I saw some of Bruce Leung's Call Me Dragon and that looked to have a similar style.

You should see Little Superman. The finale is absolutely brutal.

I think some of Polly Shang Kuan Ling Feng's collaborations with Yasuaki Kurata--Seven to One; Lady Whirlwind and the Rangers and A Girl Called Tigress--also count.

I don't know who this Dana lady is but she's certainly...talented? Same woman from Bruce Lee in New Guinea, right?

Yes, she also gets naked in the Bruce Li film Edge of Darkness. She also plays the hypnotic Eye Demon in Super Infra Man.

• Like 2

Drunken Monk
1 hour ago, DrNgor said:

You should see Little Superman. The finale is absolutely brutal.

I think some of Polly Shang Kuan Ling Feng's collaborations with Yasuaki Kurata--Seven to One; Lady Whirlwind and the Rangers and A Girl Called Tigress--also count.

Yes, she also gets naked in the Bruce Li film Edge of Darkness. She also plays the hypnotic Eye Demon in Super Infra Man.

I thought that was the Super Inframan girl! Needless to say, I'm a fan.

Thanks for your recommendations. I'm going to look them up shortly and add them to the old watchlist. I've seen Little Superman mentioned a on on here.

• Like 2

Drunken Monk

This afternoon I watched Fist of Fury III. After not really enjoying the second one, I was wary going into this.  I'm glad to say that it was miles better. I'm not really a fan of the comic relief and it's a smidgen short on the action front but it's a perfectly likable film up until one hour and five minutes in.

I can honestly say, with no irony and no exaggeration, that at 65 minutes into this film is one of my favorite kung fu movie sequences of all time. The tone gets dark, lightning flashes outside and Bruce Li ramps his Bruce Lee impersonation up to eleven. And yet I think this sequence is better than 70% of the real Bruce's stuff. The aesthetic is so good! And Ho Chung Tao is a beast. He has the speed, the energy, the ferocity.
And it does not let up. Ku Feng gets involved, the energy's still there. The final showdown is just **chef's kiss**.

Did I love this film? No. But I more than loved 25 minutes of it. If the rest matched that standard, this would be my favourite kung fu film of all time. As it stands, this is a very likable slice of Bruceploitation. A solid 3 1/2 out of 5.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

This afternoon I watched Fist of Fury III. After not really enjoying the second one, I was wary going into this.  I'm glad to say that it was miles better. I'm not really a fan of the comic relief and it's a smidgen short on the action front but it's a perfectly likable film up until one hour and five minutes in.

Okay, I'm really going to have go back and revisit this. My first impression wasn't very positive. Now you have my interest piqued again. Good show.

• Like 2

Drunken Monk
40 minutes ago, DrNgor said:

Okay, I'm really going to have go back and revisit this. My first impression wasn't very positive. Now you have my interest piqued again. Good show.

My tastes can be a bit odd so I can't promise a positive experience. I have my fingers crossed for you though!

8 hours ago, shukocarl1441996347 said:

I think the beach/rocks duel with the great Chang Yi makes up for the more lacklustre fights. Li wasn't quite there with his Fu in 1975 when I think this was shot. The U.S. post-production made it a lot better with the dubbing and music and it was the first Li flick I saw (midnight show) so I have a certain fondness for it. :-)

I can understand that, Deadly Strike was the first Li movie I saw under the title Bruce Li: Wanted Dead or Alive and it was back in the early 80s at the drive-in theater and have quite a fondness for it as well.

• Like 2

On 4/29/2020 at 5:28 PM, Drunken Monk said:

My tastes can be a bit odd so I can't promise a positive experience. I have my fingers crossed for you though!

Well, I just watched Fist of Fury III. I enjoyed it a lot more the second time.  Yes, some of the comedy is unnecessary, and yes, it needed more action in the first hour. I also wish the father-and-daughter pair hadn't disappeared from the last 20 minutes. But the last 20 minutes are inded really good and Li's kicks are higher and crisper here than they were in Part 2. Also, the big finale against Ku Feng was more satisfying than Li's showdown with Lo Lieh Part 2.

• Like 4

Drunken Monk
10 hours ago, DrNgor said:

Well, I just watched Fist of Fury III. I enjoyed it a lot more the second time.  Yes, some of the comedy is unnecessary, and yes, it needed more action in the first hour. I also wish the father-and-daughter pair hadn't disappeared from the last 20 minutes. But the last 20 minutes are inded really good and Li's kicks are higher and crisper here than they were in Part 2. Also, the big finale against Ku Feng was more satisfying than Li's showdown with Lo Lieh Part 2.

I'm glad you liked it more this time around. I agree with everything you've said.

• Like 1

Drunken Monk

This morning's movie was Bruce Lee Superstar. I don't know what I did to deserve this one. It's an atrocious nonsense retelling of Bruce Lee's life with hardly any fights and and an overly pretentious English dub.
I'm not even sure what this film was trying to be. A drama? A martial arts movie? Pure garbage. 

The fight scenes honestly aren't that bad. There just isn't many. Lung Fei pops up for about 45 seconds and then the film is over. Bruceploitation has been relatively good to me so far but this one really was shitty.

• Like 2

Drunken Monk

Goodbye Bruce Lee: His Last Game of Death is...acceptable? I guess? A junk plot makes way for a "tower of death" situation where Bruce Li fights the "greatest fighters from cross the globe." While the fight choreography is a lot clunkier than Bruce's later efforts, it's watchable. And sometimes enjoyable.
The problem is that this film has no highlights whatsoever. It sets the mete at "average" and cruises along. That makes it instantly forgettable in my eyes.

Terrible theme song too.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

Goodbye Bruce Lee: His Last Game of Death is...acceptable? I guess? A junk plot

Very much a crappy plot. "You know how to fight. We want you to complete the Game of Death film that Bruce Lee never finished. Here's the footage he filmed." The end.

Edited by DrNgor
  • Like 3

Just watched Fist of Unicorn, before you ask why, it's a slow morning lol.  i just clicked on whatever.

All I can say is, what a load of hot garbage. It's like trying something just for the hell of it but you need to find something else to eat in order to get the bad taste out your mouth. I'm definitely posting again later, because I need to find something better to watch...

Last night was Bruce's Deadly Fingers. I'm not the biggest Bruce Le fan, but it was alright. Not my cup of tea, but it was cool seeing Wong Shun Leung in a movie. The Eighth Finger style sure is something in this tale of Bruce Lee's famed "Kung Fu Finger Book." The remaster done on this movie is phenomenal though, I couldn't get over it. Not to mention, Nora Miao looking as cute as ever.

Does anyone know if the scenes in here are reused from Bruce and Shaolin Kung Fu (ala Gordon Liu's Korean movies with godfrey ho)

Edited by Ah_Tao
  • Like 3

DragonClaws
18 hours ago, Ah_Tao said:

Does anyone know if the scenes in here are reused from Bruce and Shaolin Kung Fu (ala Gordon Liu's Korean movies with godfrey ho)

The training scenes they shot in South Korea, appeared in multiple late 70's Bruce Le movies.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2