Bruceploitation Reviews

Guest jirpy100

56 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

Thank you! My Bruce Li marathon continues tomorrow morning.

I’m thankful Amazon Prime Video has all of these, even if they are seemingly from the much frowned upon Wu Tang Collection.

Why is the Wu Tang collection frowned upon? Most of those movies don’t have a decent release anyway. They have some funny alternate titles at times too, lol!

• Like 2

Drunken Monk
12 minutes ago, paimeifist said:

Why is the Wu Tang collection frowned upon? Most of those movies don’t have a decent release anyway. They have some funny alternate titles at times too, lol!

Because the guy that “owns” them doesn’t legally own them and goes after people that post similar content. Also, when someone puts out a quality custom, he steals it and uploads it like it’s his own?

Something like that.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

Because the guy that “owns” them doesn’t legally own them and goes after people that post similar content. Also, when someone puts out a quality custom, he steals it and uploads it like it’s his own?

Something like that.

And that guy would be the infamous George Tan. Someone could write a "Tell All" book on him all together...

• Like 5

2 hours ago, CT KID said:

And that guy would be the infamous George Tan. Someone could write a "Tell All" book on him all together...

That would be quite the story. I forget what his real name is anyway? Francis something or other? :bs_confused:

• Like 2

TibetanWhiteCrane
1 hour ago, Killer Meteor said:

For some reason, the audio keeps disapearing from some of the Wu Tang Collection videos.

He's probably trimming out copyrighted music bits.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

Something like that.

Well, that’s pretty bad than! I guess at this point it’s probably been over a decade since they would have released something though right? 

I remember collecting a fee of the Panmedia (Red Sun, Bonzai, etc.) bootlegs when I first started collecting, eventually I learned they stole all of the Celestial Shaw’s, and stopped getting them.

Not gonna lie though, they were putting out a lot of English dubbed Shaw’s that hadn’t been released before, so it was kind of nice to see them. But it was more important to support the legitimate companies once I realized what the deal was.

• Like 1

Drunken Monk

I gave in and watched Dynamo this morning. Another massively enjoyable Bruce Li film!

The plot is utter nonsense but, at one point, it basically becomes a world tour of ass kicking which I was perfectly happy with. I was also happy with seeing Ku Feng as a good guy for once. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen him as anything but a villain.

As for the fights? Again, fantastic. The more I watch, the more impressed I am. There’s a gem between Bruce and Lee Hoi San in this one. Lee Hoi San popped up in a lot of Bruceploitation movies, huh?

Can’t wait to own this on Blu Ray.

Onto Bruce Lee’s Secret.

• Like 5

Drunken Monk

On a whim, I recently decided to watch Bruce Lee - The Man, the Myth. I can only say I was blown away. I’ve never ventured into Bruce Li territory thinking Bruceploitation was a bit daft. Well, thanks to members of this forum and their recommendations, I’m on my sixth of his movies and, so far, only one has been weak.

I think he’s phenomenal. He has charisma and his fight ability is far, far above anything o ever imagined. I feel like a kid again, when I first discovered Jackie Chan. Bruce Li has literally revitalized my love of old school kung fu cinema (took a bit of a break and was watching most post-1990 stuff).

I’m so happy I decided to try his movies out.

In fact, as I type this I have Bruce Lee’s Secret paused.

• Like 4

Drunken Monk

Bruce Lee’s Secret - If this is meant to be a lesser Bruce Li movie, I don’t see it! While it’s not quite as good as some of his true classics, this is still a great movie. The action comes thick and fast, Carter Wong doesn’t look slow and clunky for once and then Hwang Jang Lee turns up in leather fingerless gloves!

I can see why this one might not be to everyone’s taste but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I’m just miffed that’s I had to watch a full screen version. A lot of stuff was cut off.

Good movie. Perhaps not great. But good is enough for me.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

I was also happy with seeing Ku Feng as a good guy for once. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen him as anything but a villain.

He also plays a good guy in Ripples, Judgement of an assassin, The four invincibles and surely some other ones.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

On a whim, I recently decided to watch Bruce Lee - The Man, the Myth. I can only say I was blown away. I’ve never ventured into Bruce Li territory thinking Bruceploitation was a bit daft. Well, thanks to members of this forum and their recommendations, I’m on my sixth of his movies and, so far, only one has been weak.

I think he’s phenomenal. He has charisma and his fight ability is far, far above anything o ever imagined. I feel like a kid again, when I first discovered Jackie Chan. Bruce Li has literally revitalized my love of old school kung fu cinema (took a bit of a break and was watching most post-1990 stuff).

I love your enthusiasm !

On 2/23/2020 at 7:28 PM, DragonClaws said:

Personally, I think that this logo doesn't look like Bruce Lee nor Bruce Li...

• Like 2

Drunken Monk
39 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

He also plays a good guy in Ripples, Judgement of an assassin, The four invincibles and surely some other ones.

Thanks @ShawAngela! He’s always looked great in the films I’ve seen him in.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Drunken Monk said:

Bruce Lee’s Secret - If this is meant to be a lesser Bruce Li movie, I don’t see it! While it’s not quite as good as some of his true classics, this is still a great movie. The action comes thick and fast, Carter Wong doesn’t look slow and clunky for once and then Hwang Jang Lee turns up in leather fingerless gloves!

I can see why this one might not be to everyone’s taste but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I’m just miffed that’s I had to watch a full screen version. A lot of stuff was cut off.

Good movie. Perhaps not great. But good is enough for me.

i love this movie, i find it one of Bruce Li's most rewatchable movies. It's got a great cast, Roy Horan included! unintentional comedy (the opening restaurant scene where he's hiding from "old bitch" :laugh The sadly deceased Robert Kerver getting a mullering from Li at least 5 times in the opening 40 minutes, the whiny kid on the docks. It's great - i have the kuenfist widescreen custom which while off a cleaned up VHS is actually decent quality.

• Like 3

Drunken Monk

Fist of Fury 2 - This is my third Bruce Li film of the day and sadly, it’s the weakest. It’s not that it’s terrible. It’s not. It’s just far less lighthearted than some of Li’s other movies and the fight choreography isn’t quite as good (grantee, this is an older movie).

When Bruce Li’s finally let off the leash at the end, I can really appreciate the action. He’s always a pleasure to watch when laying down the law.

A solid film. Just not quite my style. I prefer flashy tracksuits and bad guys in wigs wearing flares.

• Like 2

Drunken Monk
1 minute ago, saltysam said:

Ku Feng is a real nasty piece of work in Bruce & The Iron Finger. That's got Bruce Leung in it as well!

It’s going on the list!

• Like 3

TibetanWhiteCrane
9 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

It’s going on the list!

Did you do Exit the Dragon, Enter the Tiger, Lama Avenger and Chinese Stuntman yet?

• Like 2

DragonClaws

@Drunken Monk If your on Ho Chung Tao kick The Gold Connection(1979) is worth checking out. Set in 1970's Hong Kong. Though it's more serious than Bruce Lee's Secret or Lama.Avenger.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

@Drunken Monk If your on Ho Chung Tao kick The Gold Connection(1979) is worth checking out. Set in 1970's Hong Kong. Though it's more serious than Bruce Lee's Secret or Lama.Avenger.

This is also known as Iron Dragon Strikes Back

• Like 3

Drunken Monk
2 hours ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

Did you do Exit the Dragon, Enter the Tiger, Lama Avenger and Chinese Stuntman yet?

The latter two, but not the first. I think I’ll put Exit the Dragon... on tomorrow morning.

• Like 3

Drunken Monk

Exit the Dragon, Enter the Tiger - A mediocre one, this one. I like my fights plentiful and this movie is a bit lacking in the action department. It’s more of a 70’s detective caper than a flat-out kung fu movie. I was annoyed when the fight with the lady acrobat was seemingly cut short.

It’s still enjoyable; it’s just not one I’d revisit anytime soon. Also, it’s got Lung Fei in it who I’ve never liked. 

• Like 3

One Armed Boxer
22 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

All of this Bruceploitation talk has inspired me to dust off some of those 50-Movie multipacks (that have a reputation for being crammed with them!) and see if I could check this one out for myself.

It was!  I agree with @Drunken Monk that this was a surpsingly coherent and decently produced effort, no doubt thanks to Ng See Yuen being in the directors chair (made the same year he'd also direct 'The Secret Rivals').  The choreography is on-point, and even if watching it is a bit like watching 'Titanic', it still remains engaging throughout.

That last scene with the actress playing Betty Ting Pei certainly seemd to be attemtping to protect Bruce Lee's image, while also not denying that it happened.  So now she's in bed, but just resting fully clothed, and for good measure her husband also gets mentioned a couple of times!  It makes me wonder if the infamous 'Bruce Lee and I' released the same year was made as a knee jerk reaction to this one.  In that movie Danny Lee plays the Little Dragon, and Betty Ting Pei plays - herself!  You don't get much more exploitative than that!

• Like 1

Drunken Monk

Bruce vs The Iron Hand - Honestly? This might be my favorite Bruceploitation film so far. Bruce Li, Bruce Leung and Ku Feng!? 
The plot is suitably daft and lighthearted and he action is INCREDIBLE. Amazing choreography on display on this one. 
Also, in the dub, Ku Feng says the line “You know my kung fu stops me from having sex!”

This one is a gem for me. I’d give my right a for a remastered Blu Ray.

Edited by Drunken Monk
  • Like 2

Drunken Monk

One more thing to add: what makes a film Bruceploitation? Technically, Bruce vs The Iron Hand has nothing to do with Bruce Lee other than having Bruce Li in it. If it didn’t mention the name Bruce at all, would it be a “normal” kung fu movie?

• Like 3