Bruceploitation Reviews

Guest jirpy100

Killer Meteor

CLONES OF BRUCE LEE has some campy charm at first, but wears out its welcome. The fights are very repetetive and "shapes", not very Brucey. Did they even try to get Bruce Li for this one?

• Like 2

Drunken Monk
21 hours ago, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

The scene where Yang Sze is the trainer of one of the clones was enough for me. Yang Sze? How is that guy going to teach JKD? He only learned screen fighting, he was not a big martial arts guy. Anyway, my rant is over.

I think you have to have a strong penchant for "suspension of disbelief" when it comes to kung fu films. Anthony Wong isn't exactly known for his martial arts prowess and yet he portrayed one of the modern icons of kung fu, Ip Man.
I know it's hard sometimes but I think martial arts movies sometimes require the most "acceptance" when it comes to things that aren't quite right. I mean, we're expected to accept Yuen Biao blatantly doubling for Cynthia Rothrock.

• Like 3

Killer Meteor
On 5/6/2019 at 9:30 PM, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

Clones of Bruce Lee, one of the few movies I just got up and walked out on after 10 minutes. The scene where Yang Sze is the trainer of one of the clones was enough for me. Yang Sze? How is that guy going to teach JKD? He only learned screen fighting, he was not a big martial arts guy. Anyway, my rant is over.

That is one of my many criticisms of the film...an ace kicker like Dragon Lee looks silly doing Mantis Fists. Since when did Bruce Lee do Mantis Fist? Never, that's when!

(someone prove me wrong!)

• Like 3

Clones Of Bruce Lee is great. Forget the kung fu, Jon Benn, Alexander Grand and Mr Colin, bronzemen who can only be stopped by being fed grass, an interlude with naked women on a beach, Chuck Lee, epic special effects involving Dr Lucas cloning gear....pure genius.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, saltysam said:

Clones Of Bruce Lee is great. Forget the kung fu, Jon Benn, Alexander Grand and Mr Colin, bronzemen who can only be stopped by being fed grass, an interlude with naked women on a beach, Chuck Lee, epic special effects involving Dr Lucas cloning gear....pure genius.

Brotha, you forgot to mention the lasers that randomly pop out of the wall only when Bruce Lee # Whatever walks over its invisible tripwire lmfao

• Like 4

NoKUNGFUforYU

Meh, they started doing shapes because you can do them slowly with a drum beat, no need to have guy that knows martial artist and moves fast, just hup 1,2,3 hup, 1,2,3, hup! Brucel Lee imitators doing shapes in the antithesis of Bruce Lee. Bruce would do a slight bit of Mantis (one pose) in all his films. Wing Chun itself is sort of the anti-shapes of classical gung fu, anyways.

• Like 2

Bruce Against Snake In The Eagles Shadow

Tang lung heads back home after a stint in jail for accidentally killing a man, on his way he comes across a midget stealing watches who he tricks to the tune of the Beatles Obledy Oblada.Yep it's that sort of movie. When he gets home he's caught up in a war between the triads and his uncle (i think) who wants the roaring pearl bed trade for themselves. Evil bastard Lung Fei leads the triads. Not particulary good but better than some i've seen, clearly inspired in part by Way Of The Dragon. The widescreen vhs custom was perfectly watchable. Anyone know the original title for this? it's listed as Sea Girls on IMDB but i can't find it on icheckmovies,so i can add it to my watched list.

• Like 3

Killer Meteor
22 minutes ago, saltysam said:

Bruce Against Snake In The Eagles Shadow

Tang lung heads back home after a stint in jail for accidentally killing a man, on his way he comes across a midget stealing watches who he tricks to the tune of the Beatles Obledy Oblada.Yep it's that sort of movie. When he gets home he's caught up in a war between the triads and his uncle (i think) who wants the roaring pearl bed trade for themselves. Evil bastard Lung Fei leads the triads. Not particulary good but better than some i've seen, clearly inspired in part by Way Of The Dragon. The widescreen vhs custom was perfectly watchable. Anyone know the original title for this? it's listed as Sea Girls on IMDB but i can't find it on icheckmovies,so i can add it to my watched list.

This is apparently the film - http://hkmdb.com/db/movies/view.mhtml?id=12324&complete_credits=1&display_set=eng.

Looks like there are three Tang Lungs/Tong Lungs - the one from Challenge of the Tiger, Kim Tai Jong from the Game of Death films, and here it appears to be Lung Tien-Hsiang (True Game of Death and numerous Shaws)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Killer Meteor said:

I quite like this one for nostalgia. Did the German version restore the footage from the original cut, and in good quality, that was missing on the Vengeance Video release?

the blu ray had a few (not many) inserts from a weaker source,guessing these are the uncut bits.

Lightning Of Bruce Lee

Chun Lei, who i associate in villianous roles usually (eg One Armed Boxer) is the hero in this punch and block basher effort from Taiwan. Not bad with an extended fighting climax to rival Kung Fu The Invisible Fist. Kuenfists custom is very good, anamorphic, english dub with a few inserts from the weaker dutch source.

Chinese Stuntman

A mature late in the day Ho Chung Tao effort, here he's an insurance broker (and kung fu expert) who befriends a movie star who's crooked producer (Paul Wei in atypical role) is trying to injure him to claim on the policy. With Dan Inosanto & big John Ladalski also featuring prominently this is a very good movir. The uk dvd is poor though, cropped and copied straight from the inter-ocean VHS.

Edited by saltysam
  • Like 4

DragonClaws
12 minutes ago, saltysam said:

Lightning Of Bruce Lee

Chun Lei, who i associate in villianous roles usually (eg One Armed Boxer) is the hero in this punch and block basher effort from Taiwan. Not bad with an extended fighting climax to rival Kung Fu The Invisible Fist. Kuenfists custom is very good, anamorphic, english dub with a few inserts from the weaker dutch source.

I'll have to see this at somepoint, never heard of it. At least not under this title. More often than not those early basher had extended final fights, that later films just didnt have. It seemed every film that came out, was really trying to beat or top the last one. I'v heard theres an unseen longer version of the Chan Sing/Kurata fight in Kung Fu the Invisible Fist. The print on Youtube removes a lot of dialogue and other scene's from the finale. I compared it to the Widescreen DVD I have.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DragonClaws said:

I'll have to see this at somepoint, never heard of it. At least not under this title. More often than not those early basher had extended final fights, that later films just didnt have. It seemed every film that came out, was really trying to beat or top the last one. I'v heard theres an unseen longer version of the Chan Sing/Kurata fight in Kung Fu the Invisible Fist. The print on Youtube removes a lot of dialogue and other scene's from the finale. I compared it to the Widescreen DVD I have.

I had heard of it as i remember it being on pre-cert VHS-seem to remember a black cover. I had never seen it though until i came across kuenfists custom, which is very nice. The film's on youtube but i think it's french audio only.Kung Fu The Invisible Fist is epically great.

• Like 2

Secret Executioner
53 minutes ago, saltysam said:

The film's on youtube but i think it's french audio only

There's this one under the title Lightning of Bruce Lee and in French:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6zVxLqdsBU

After a bit of trouble I ended up finding it was this: http://www.hkcinemagic.com/en/movie.asp?id=5448

I think I used to have this one on DVD with the French title Les Doigts du Ninja used in the print on YouTube and the art shown on hkcinemagic - pretty boring movie that I barely have a memory of.

Edited by Secret Executioner
  • Like 2

i quite liked it but then i'm a sucker for 70's bashers. That youtube french print is cut, kuenfists custom has around 7 minutes of dutch inserts to make it uncut.

• Like 3

The Game Of Death

My first taste of Ramon Zamora and i wasn't impressed.despite the title it's actually a ripoff of Enter The Dragon but it's a pretty boring movie,the action is crap and at 95 minutes too long. I love bad movies but they need to be entertaining, this one wasn't even unintentionally funny.

• Like 3

Coliseum1972

Chinese Stuntman didnt do anything for me , only thing I liked was the scene where Li fights Inosanto

Ninja strikes back.....a bit hokey sometimes but very entertaining imo , I like the friendship between Le and Jang Lee.... wonderful locations , too

Bolo wouldve had a much bigger part had I done the script , wouldve had him appear out of nowhere in the Coliseum , attacking Le from behind 

Edited by Coliseum1972
  • Like 4

Bruce Lee's secret 1976

I discovered this movie a few days ago and it's a good one. Almost non stop action movie !

Ho Chung Tao is excellent, portraying Bruce Lee (well, maybe I'm mistaken, but I never heard him being called Bruce during the whole movie, I only heard " Bob " or " Mr Lee ", but maybe my ears are becoming old and I don't hear very well anymore...:bs_smile:).

I don't know how much it's faithful to Bruce's life, but the way he passes from kung fu to his own style during the movie is very well depicted.

And I'm still wondering if the child is a boy or a girl !!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

Bruce Lee's secret 1976

I discovered this movie a few days ago and it's a good one. Almost non stop action movie !

Ho Chung Tao is excellent, portraying Bruce Lee (well, maybe I'm mistaken, but I never heard him being called Bruce during the whole movie, I only heard " Bob " or " Mr Lee ", but maybe my ears are becoming old and I don't hear very well anymore...:bs_smile:).

I don't know how much it's faithful to Bruce's life, but the way he passes from kung fu to his own style during the movie is very well depicted.

I like how the film suggests that Jeet Kune Do was invented in order to defeat Legendary Superkicker Hwang Jang Lee. But yeah, there's a lot of quality fighting in this film.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ShawAngela said:

I only heard " Bob " or " Mr Lee ", but maybe my ears are becoming old and I don't hear very well anymore...

Thy might have done this for legal reasons, similar to how they changed the audiotrack on The Black Dragons Revenge.

One I need to re-visist in widescreen, the U.K VHS was heavily butchered. When I did catch an UNCUT print, it was still heavily cropped.

4 hours ago, Killer Meteor said:

Eagle's Killer (1981)

Disapointing John Cheung vs Hwang Jang Lee movie, relying way too much on endless comedy scenes. I swear they only got to 90min by ensuring Cheng Hong-Yip's character stutters...really...slowly. Slightly redeemed by the use of Riz Ortolani's theme for "Brutes and Savages", but otherwise very disposable.

Remember being just as disapointed with this one @Killer Meteor

17 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

The victim 1980

What a SPLENDID movie !! I didn't expect it to be SO GOOD !! 

One of my all time favourites, what did you think of the Sammo/Leung Kar-Yan house brawl?.

"Brother who is that guy?"

"Just some nut"

• Like 2

Killer Meteor

Bruce Lee's Secret - the dub calls him Bob, apart from one line where they forget and call him Bruce! If it's a redub, they redubbed the whole movie, unlike Ku-HAPKIDO!

• Like 3

Killer Meteor
On 8/11/2019 at 1:43 PM, ShawAngela said:

Bruce Lee's secret 1976

And I'm still wondering if the child is a boy or a girl !!

It's not exactly faithful, but there's less "that's wrong" stuff, mainly by setting the story before Linda, Betty and Gladys came on the scene.

The real life figure of Wong Jak-Man has been split into two characters, played by Carter Hwang and Hwang Jang-Lee.

I bet Ruby Chow, Bruce's former employer at a restraunt, just loved how she's portrayed here!

Edited by Killer Meteor
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, Killer Meteor said:

It's not exactly faithful, but there's less "that's wrong" stuff, mainly by setting the story before Linda, Betty and Gladys came on the scene.

I guess that Betty is TIng Pei, but who is Gladys ? Never heard of this one...

I still have a lot to learn on Bruce !!

• Like 3

Killer Meteor
8 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

I guess that Betty is TIng Pei, but who is Gladys ? Never heard of this one...

I still have a lot to learn on Bruce !!

Well done for spotting this. Gladys is Mrs Lo Wei, Liu Liang-Hua.

And no, I'm not implying Bruce had an affair with her!

• Like 2

Killer Meteor
On 8/11/2019 at 2:00 PM, DrNgor said:

I like how the film suggests that Jeet Kune Do was invented in order to defeat Legendary Superkicker Hwang Jang Lee. But yeah, there's a lot of quality fighting in this film.

It's amusing how Hwang's moustache is still in its infancy in his first scene (it barely spans his lips), then once he walks outside it suddenly is its more normal twirlable self. His wig also gives him a Captain Hook look (hey, that rhymes!)

I wonder if his involvement here pre-dates Secret Rivals?

More amusement comes from hearing gravel-voiced Roy Horan dubbed to sound like John Fiedler...Piglet in Winne the Pooh.

Edited by Killer Meteor
  • Like 3