Bruceploitation Reviews

Guest jirpy100

True Game Of Death-  A rip off with a difference..this actually rips off the 78 version of GOD, right down to the corrupt gangsters (3 are dressed in black suits with red ties) threatening the Brucealike. motorbike fighting, faking his own death to fool his girlfriend...includes the most ridiculous soft core sex scene i think i've seen, a type of jack in the box bobs up and down on the cupboard while the Bruce and  Colleen Camp impersonators get down to business. Then we have the pagoda fights recreated, complete with yellow track suit. Bizarrely watchable despite it's badness, sadly the version on youtube which was quite decent seems to have been changed to an inferior quality version for some reason.

• Like 3

Image Of Bruce Lee- Bruce Li actioner with a strong cast- Bolo, Han Ying Chieh (listed in the opening german credits a "Han Yin Kit as Der Big Boss") John Cheung and Dana who strips off at any chance she gets. Story about counterfeit money operations is a bit week but it has some good action.New German dvd is 2:35:1 anamorphic uncut and english dubbed.

Edited by saltysam
  • Like 2

My latest write-up, is ideal for any Kung Fu Fandom contribotors/followers looking for a long winded, and epic ramble, concerning Bruceploitaton classic Tower of Death,

Just click on the link below, for my complete review, thank you.

MV5BMDNhNTg1NWItNTI1YS00NzQwLWE2ZDEtNjdj

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2

Killer Meteor
On 11/13/2018 at 9:28 PM, Robotic said:

Bruce Lee Against Supermen (1975)

Charmingly bonkers Bruce Li movie that reminds me of the various Turkish superhero knockoffs. Li plays "Kata" (or is it it Carter?), who is none other then Kato from The Green Hornet, in an identical costume! Some vaguely lost looking gwailo plays The Green Hornet, who hear wears a red jumpsuit, cape and matching Kato mask! Lung Fei, dressed in a black traditional Chinese suit with small white cape, is the evil Superman (no really). For fights, sleaze and 70s funk, this scores pretty highly, which is just as well as the film is otherwise nonsensical drivel.  Features the most gratuiously long chase scene ever, and an awesome soundtrack feauturing Kraftwerk, Tangerine Dream and Bob James.

5/10

Edited by Killer Meteor
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, Killer Meteor said:

Bruce Lee Against Supermen (1975)

Charmingly bonkers Bruce Li movie that reminds me of the various Turkish superhero knockoffs. Li plays "Kata" (or is it it Carter?), who is none other then Kato from The Green Hornet, in an identical costume! Some vaguely lost looking gwailo plays The Green Hornet, who hear wears a red jumpsuit, cape and matching Kato mask! Lung Fei, dressed in a black traditional Chinese suit with small white cape, is the evil Superman (no really). For fights, sleaze and 70s funk, this scores pretty highly, which is just as well as the film is otherwise nonsensical drivel.  Features the most gratuiously long chase scene ever, and an awesome soundtrack feauturing Kraftwerk, Tangerine Dream and Bob James.

5/10

Did you watch the english dubbed version or the recent subbed HK version in very good quality? It's like watching a completely new movie, different scenes, actors etc.

Edited by saltysam
  • Like 2

Bruce Lee The Man The Myth

As a Bruceploitation fan this is one of my holy trinity of titles along with Dragon Lives Again, Bruce Lee's Secret & Tower Of Death. Bruce's life story is just a hook to set up pretty much fight scene after fight scene as Ho Chung Tao, giving his best performance as Lee faces off against challenger after challenger. Much better filmed than most of these movies and has superior production values. Unicorn Chan is here as well as Mars , Hark-On Fung and a very briefly glimpsed Carl Scott. The german dvd is very decent, anamorphic and uncut, english friendly with english subs for the few parts that i assume were never dubbed. For purists it also has a cantonese audio option. Great movie.

Edited by saltysam
  • Like 2

Killer Meteor
2 hours ago, saltysam said:

Bruce Lee The Man The Myth

As a Bruceploitation fan this is one of my holy trinity of titles along with Dragon Lives Again, Bruce Lee's Secret & Tower Of Death. Bruce's life story is just a hook to set up pretty much fight scene after fight scene as Ho Chung Tao, giving his best performance as Lee faces off against challenger after challenger. Much better filmed than most of these movies and has superior production values. Unicorn Chan is here as well as Mars , Hark-On Fung and a very briefly glimpsed Carl Scott. The german dvd is very decent, anamorphic and uncut, english friendly with english subs for the few parts that i asume were never dubbed. For purists it also has a cantonese audio option. Great movie.

Besides being a very fun movie, it introduced me to this

• Like 3

Bruce Le's Greatest Revenge

A Bruce Le redo of Fist Of Fury isn't bad but Bruce doesn't have enough to do until the admittedly very good climax. Ku Feng is the japanese boss here but he doesn't jump into action until late on, otherwise spending his time having a smoke. Bolo and regular evil bastard  Yeh Fang are here (did Yeh ever play a goodie, a swine in everything i've seen him in) German hartbox DVD is one of their poorer efforts, non-anamorphic unlike most  though widescreen (2:20:1).

Edited by saltysam
  • Like 2

Killer Meteor

I get the feeling Bruce's Greatest Revenge and Fist of Fury III were shot at the same time as they share cast members and locations.

• Like 3

Killer Meteor

Bruce and Dragon Fist (1978)

Feels a bit like two different movies: a comedy with Bruce Le mugging shamelessly mugging as a beggar with a bindle, whilst a Korean martial arts drama plays out around him. Not much to say here 

4/10

Bruce and Shaolin Kung Fu II (1978)

Simplistic but entertaining Bruce Le vs "Japs" sequel, with lots of fighting and very funny overacting from everyone, especially lead villian Bae Su-Cheon who jumps up and down like a todder on a sugar rush at the prospect of wiping out Chinese Kung Fu. Chiang Tao's "karate" master is a goofy highlight too. The downbeat ending works better then expected. Lovely use of what appears to be a Morricone piano tune, but I can't identify it specifically.

UPDATE: It's Mancini actually - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vlv32UEazGc

6/10

Edited by Killer Meteor
  • Like 2

Bruce Lee's Secret

Ho Chung Tao's magnum opus has appeared under many titles but this is the one i'm familar with. A majestic slice of Bruceploitation,it's highlights are many, from it's groovy opening theme, the first sequence which gives us the best kung fu fight in a chinese restaurant since WOTD, it's stellar supporting cast (Carter Wong, Paul Wei, Roy Horan, Hwang Jang Lee!!) it's political incorrectness (blacked up actors) a character known as San Francisco Iron Fist who gets thrashed by Chung Tao early on, Robert Kerver as one of the rival schools thugs getting thrashed 5 times in the opening 30 minutes, epic battles on the docks, fantastic dubbing (Chung Tao's character is called Bob but one scene he's referred to as Bruce) just a top ,top example of the genre. Kuenfist did a fantastic job with this widescreen anamorphic custom, utilising an old german tape i believe. As good an example of the genre as you will ever find.

http://filmphest.com/gungfu.htm

Edited by saltysam
  • Like 2

Goodbye Bruce Lee- His Last Game Of Death

Early Ho Chung Tao Bruceploitation flick is not one of his finest hours, ironically it's probably the Chung Tao film with the best home video print available (Uk DVD is pristine) even at 79 minutes the back and forth shenanigans between Bruce and the gangsters gets repetitive until the finale that takes place in the Tower Of Death, where they have his kidnapped girlfriend held hostage. Bruce battles his way up through various fighters until he takes on the normally great Lung Fei, who's strangely unthreatening here. This got a major uk cinema release back in the day, i can only imagine how much must have been cut given the amount of nunchaku action featured in the climax! This film is mostly memorable for it's epic theme tune by Candy.

Edited by saltysam
  • Like 3

Killer Meteor

The HK cut is avaliable from Celestial on DVD, and it's got a really odd extra subplot where Bruce's girlfriend has to babysit the villian's adult daughter! Also, instead of Candy, we get "Love's Theme" by Barry White!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Killer Meteor said:

The HK cut is avaliable from Celestial on DVD, and it's got a really odd extra subplot where Bruce's girlfriend has to babysit the villian's adult daughter! Also, instead of Candy, we get "Love's Theme" by Barry White!

i may well pick that up

• Like 1

Had myself a Brucesploitation weekend:

Enter the Game of Death (1978) - This is probably Bruce Le's best full-on Brucesploitation flick, even if it doesn't make a lick sense. In the days of the Japanese occuptation, some Chinese guy has a name list or some other secret document that both the British and the Japanese want. Moreover, a group of freedom fighters led by Yeo Su-Jin (The Secret Rivals; The Hot, the Cool and the Vicious) also want it. So they bring Bruce Le onto their team after his cousin is raped by Japanese baddie Kawasaki (Park Dong-Yong). To get the document, Le must enter a pagoda full of different fighters, including a monk armed with butterfly swords (Lee Hoi-San), a snake fist fighter who uses real snakes as weapons, and a pair of fighters dressed in all white and all black (one of them is Chiu Ching-Ling, of Kung Fu Hustle). Later on he fights Bolo Yeung and a contingent of black and Causasian martial artists, including a young Steve James. The Pagoda sequence makes up the second act, with the first act introducing the characters and giving us a lot of Bolo Yeung fight action in the form of an extended tournament sequence. The third act is a succession of fights between Bruce and the various international fighters. I've criticized some of his movies for being a bit too repetitive in the action department, but there are so many quirky fighters on display here that Le, who choreographed the fights himself, keeps things reasonably varied. The film also gets points for getting a lot more out of Bolo Yeung than many of the old school films I've seen him in.

Duel with the Devils (1977) - Despite not being released until 1978, I'm guessing that Game of Death was well-known enough in Hong Kong that by 1977, filmmakers were already trying to cash in on it. This isn't *quite* a Brucesploitation film per se--Dorian Tan Tao-Liang has his own distinct screen fighting style--but it does end with a pagoda sequence. Basically, a bunch of Japanese soldiers invade Tan's house, kill his family and kidnap his wife. He becomes of something of a Robin Hood character, teaming up with big guy Chen Fu-Hung and Angela Mao, who plays the daughter of the local police chief. Some of these early scenes of Tan stealing money remind me of later films like The Iron Monkey and Hero of Swallow. We discover that his wife (Doris Lung, in a non-fighting role) has been married off to a Japanese general. She kills him and herself is killed. Tan must scale the pagoda to get her ashes. Inside, he fights a European fencer, a pair of muscular wrestlers, a samurai and finally a karate fighter. The fighting is okay, but Tan Tao-Liang has had better showcases for his kicks. Angela Mao gets a few boots in, but her role is mainly a glorified cameo.

New Game of Death (1975) - A mere two years after Bruce Lee's death, we already had a film capitalizing on Bruce's unfinished passion project. This one would make a good companion piece with Dynamo, in which Bruce Li is essentially playing himself, at least for the first 10 minutes. Ho Chung-Tao plays a martial artist who discovered by a producer and invited to complete Bruce Lee's unfinished film, Game of Death. The next 70 minutes is dedicated to what the filmmakers envisioned that film would be. In this film within-a-film, Bruce Li plays a martial artist who gets mixed up in a scheme to launder money from the mob, getting caught between a gangster (Lung Fei) and a crooked shipping magnate. His fiancée is kidnapped, and Bruce Li must fight his way up to the top of a pagoda to save her. Standing in his way are: a pair of kung fu fighters, a samurai, a karate fighter, a Caucasian wrestler, an Indian nunchaku expert, an African-American boxer and Lung Fei wielding a bullwhip. The action is okay at best; Ho Chung Tao has done better work in other movies. But there is a lot of fighting, so undemanding Brucesploitation fans may get their fill here.

• Like 4

ShaOW!linDude
4 hours ago, Killer Meteor said:

I think the guy people think is Steve James is actually Bobby Samuells.

James would have been 26 at the time. EtGoD is listed in his IMDb film credits.

• Like 1

TheFlyingPanda
On 1/27/2019 at 7:23 PM, DrNgor said:

Had myself a Brucesploitation weekend:

Enter the Game of Death (1978)This is probably Bruce Le's best full-on Brucesploitation flick, even if it doesn't make a lick sense. In the days of the Japanese occuptation, some Chinese guy has a name list or some other secret document that both the British and the Japanese want. Moreover, a group of freedom fighters led by Yeo Su-Jin (The Secret Rivals; The Hot, the Cool and the Vicious) also want it. So they bring Bruce Le onto their team after his cousin is raped by Japanese baddie Kawasaki (Park Dong-Yong). To get the document, Le must enter a pagoda full of different fighters, including a monk armed with butterfly swords (Lee Hoi-San), a snake fist fighter who uses real snakes as weapons, and a pair of fighters dressed in all white and all black (one of them is Chiu Ching-Ling, of Kung Fu Hustle). Later on he fights Bolo Yeung and a contingent of black and Causasian martial artists, including a young Steve James. The Pagoda sequence makes up the second act, with the first act introducing the characters and giving us a lot of Bolo Yeung fight action in the form of an extended tournament sequence. The third act is a succession of fights between Bruce and the various international fighters. I've criticized some of his movies for being a bit too repetitive in the action department, but there are so many quirky fighters on display here that Le, who choreographed the fights himself, keeps things reasonably varied. The film also gets points for getting a lot more out of Bolo Yeung than many of the old school films I've seen him in.

Duel with the Devils (1977) - Despite not being released until 1978, I'm guessing that Game of Death was well-known enough in Hong Kong that by 1977, filmmakers were already trying to cash in on it. This isn't *quite* a Brucesploitation film per se--Dorian Tan Tao-Liang has his own distinct screen fighting style--but it does end with a pagoda sequence. Basically, a bunch of Japanese soldiers invade Tan's house, kill his family and kidnap his wife. He becomes of something of a Robin Hood character, teaming up with big guy Chen Fu-Hung and Angela Mao, who plays the daughter of the local police chief. Some of these early scenes of Tan stealing money remind me of later films like The Iron Monkey and Hero of Swallow. We discover that his wife (Doris Lung, in a non-fighting role) has been married off to a Japanese general. She kills him and herself is killed. Tan must scale the pagoda to get her ashes. Inside, he fights a European fencer, a pair of muscular wrestlers, a samurai and finally a karate fighter. The fighting is okay, but Tan Tao-Liang has had better showcases for his kicks. Angela Mao gets a few boots in, but her role is mainly a glorified cameo.

New Game of Death (1975) - A mere two years after Bruce Lee's death, we already had a film capitalizing on Bruce's unfinished passion project. This one would make a good companion piece with Dynamo, in which Bruce Li is essentially playing himself, at least for the first 10 minutes. Ho Chung-Tao plays a martial artist who discovered by a producer and invited to complete Bruce Lee's unfinished film, Game of Death. The next 70 minutes is dedicated to what the filmmakers envisioned that film would be. In this film within-a-film, Bruce Li plays a martial artist who gets mixed up in a scheme to launder money from the mob, getting caught between a gangster (Lung Fei) and a crooked shipping magnate. His fiancée is kidnapped, and Bruce Li must fight his way up to the top of a pagoda to save her. Standing in his way are: a pair of kung fu fighters, a samurai, a karate fighter, a Caucasian wrestler, an Indian nunchaku expert, an African-American boxer and Lung Fei wielding a bullwhip. The action is okay at best; Ho Chung Tao has done better work in other movies. But there is a lot of fighting, so undemanding Brucesploitation fans may get their fill here.

Agree, These movies all make a good companion to Lee's Game of Death and deserve (at minimal) remastered Blu-ray/DVD releases to go side by side with Game of Death. The Funny thing is as wacky as it might be, the action does hold up and you could probably do a Godfrey Ho and chop these up with Robert Clouse's Film and make a better coherent Game of Death Film. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TheFlyingPanda said:

Agree, These movies all make a good companion to Lee's Game of Death and deserve (at minimal) remastered Blu-ray/DVD releases to go side by side with Game of Death. The Funny thing is as wacky as it might be, the action does hold up and you could probably do a Godfrey Ho and chop these up with Robert Clouse's Film and make a better coherent Game of Death Film. 

Which I did and made my own "Game of Death 2.5"....includes sequences from both GH films & Enter the Game of Death...and actually works! Lol

• Like 4

Killer Meteor
On 2/1/2019 at 7:06 PM, TheFlyingPanda said:

New Game of Death has had two different releases on home video - the US/UK disc from the English language version, and a HK disc from the longer Chinese version - so the materials are definetly around still. Not sure what the ownership situation is these days.

The funny thing is the English version opens with the awesome

Whilst the Chinese version uses

Wasn't there a widescreen German release of Duel with the Devils on DVD?

• Like 3

TheFlyingPanda
On 2/1/2019 at 6:49 PM, shukocarl said:

Which I did and made my own "Game of Death 2.5"....includes sequences from both GH films & Enter the Game of Death...and actually works! Lol

no way!? haha, I gotta see this 

• Like 1