Zhang Yimou Wuxia Trilogy

AlbertV

Which is your favorite Zhang Yimou Wuxia Pian?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Which is your favorite Zhang Yimou Wuxia Pian?

• Hero (2002)
    • House of Flying Daggers (2004)
    • Curse of the Golden Flower (2006)

Today, I finally saw Curse of the Golden Flower and it makes me wonder. Zhang Yimou has directed three wuxia movies, Hero, House of Flying Daggers and the one I just mentioned. If you had to choose between these three films, which would you consider your favorite?

As much as I like Jet Li and Donnie Yen in the same movie, I'd have to say Curse of the Golden Flower is my favorite among the three films directed by Zhang. I liked all the twists and turns of the plots and the battle sequences I felt were well done, despite the use of CGI at times.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Milkyway

definitely Hero, not just for the then anticipated fight scene but for everything presented. Curse Of The Golden Flower was also excellent but due to Chow Yun Fat and Gong Li alone, everything else was too typical for the genre.

Have not seen CotGF. I really liked HoFD but I understand points against it made by other folks. Could not stand Hero. Waaaaay too bloody pretentious, but that's to be expected by the directors that do these nowadays.

Guest Endsang

Liked them all, but Hero is in a league of its own. In my opinion, it is as perfect as it could have been regarding actors, action, scenery and script. Maybe Donnie Yen should have had a bit more screen time, but it wouldn't really have changed my overall view.

Guest Markgway

Haven't seen CURSE, mainly because I haven't heard much good about it. But I've seen the other two and HERO is definately superior to DAGGERS.

I heard some bad stuff about Curse at first also, but considering I am a huge fan of Chow Yun-Fat, I thought I'd check it out and let's just say, there are many twists and turns to the story that if you do see it, unless you hit the pause button, don't miss any of it, or you will be confused. Once I got into it, I actually enjoyed it and surprisingly, even Jay Chou performed well as Prince Jai.

Guest Iron_Jinon

House of Flying Daggers is only I have seen and it`s quite OK.not more,this like hidden dragon,crouching tiger and bichunmoo are very well made look pretty but in fight department did not deliver."hero" has been gathering dust in my shelf long time.rated-11 does not tempt me to watch it.

Guest Endsang

Have any of you seen the documentary about the making of "Hero"? I think it's currently on youtube. It is just incredible to see how devoted Zhang Yimou was to this movie, and how well everyone works together. I think he even sat in the editing room on christmas eve (or his birthday, I don't remember). It's no wonder how successful this movie was when you see this process and the forces behind it. Anyway, I suggest you all check it out. I loved it.

Guest Morgoth
House of Flying Daggers is only I have seen and it`s quite OK.not more,this like hidden dragon,crouching tiger and bichunmoo are very well made look pretty but in fight department did not deliver."hero" has been gathering dust in my shelf long time.rated-11 does not tempt me to watch it.

You are right, it does have a rating of 11/10. Not often that a movie is better than perfect:p But seriously, check it out. Don't expect like the best out of the best action, but expect a movie with superb acting, directing, music, story... all of that stuff. It is one of the finest works of art I have ever seen.

Have any of you seen the documentary about the making of "Hero"? I think it's currently on youtube. It is just incredible to see how devoted Zhang Yimou was to this movie, and how well everyone works together. I think he even sat in the editing room on christmas eve (or his birthday, I don't remember). It's no wonder how successful this movie was when you see this process and the forces behind it. Anyway, I suggest you all check it out. I loved it.

Isn't that doc like 2 hours long?:eek: I will definitely check it though since this is one of my favorite movies.

Guest Endsang
Isn't that doc like 2 hours long?:eek: I will definitely check it though since this is one of my favorite movies.

Split into 17 parts, starts here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qBOJJhzqOs :)

I remember seeing this in a local DVD store, and I was a bit sceptical about buying a behind the scenes movie for full price, but it would have been worth it. I watched the movie again right after I saw the documentary, and liked it even better.

Guest Morgoth

Yeah I will check it out when I can. Thing is, when i start watching it I know I won't be able to stop. I watched the special features that are on the region 1 disc repeatedly.

Archived