Anyone ever notice?

Guest Sandpalm79

Guest Sandpalm79

Whevenever the screen pans on these celestials it makes some weird fish eye effect or something? Like the screen looks warped.. why is this? Is this because its 2:35:1 and no one has a screen that can display that ratio properly and its all condensed? saw it a lot in five elements ninjas

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course! That's the classic Shawscope effect, they do that to have a wider panoramic scope to pick up wideshot fights! :cool: That's always been one of Shaws staples.

Guest Sandpalm79

but why did I never notice until celestials? Is this something that would have been noticeable in the theaters? or would it have been normal then and just fish eye lookin for us cause we're condensing it? Any info be great!

Guest Le Péril Jaune

I read somewhere that cinema screens in those days were slightly curved, therefore the effect wasn't noticed.

but why did I never notice until celestials? Is this something that would have been noticeable in the theaters? or would it have been normal then and just fish eye lookin for us cause we're condensing it? Any info be great!

I'll tell you why, Le Péril Jaune may be right, but the reason it's looks diffrently on the new DVDs is because the VHS and old DVDs used to be cropped to have a crappy full-screen presentation. Now that they're in remastered widescreen you get what was originally cut off on both ends! Good stuff!

Guest kungfuzombie

It's my guess that shooting in those indoor locations meant that they couldn't always back the camera up as far as they wanted and so they had to use extra wide angle slightly fisheyed lenses. You never see that in the actual outdoor shots.

Guest Mr. Vampire

I recently noticed this and thought it was something to do with my having just gotten an LCD tv & upconverting DVD player... and not setting it right.

So it's not just me eh? I didn't see this effect at all on my old 13 inch CRT. :D

Archived