Water Margin (Shui Hu Zhuan) 2008-09 (Unconfirmed)

Guest Maz

I got news that there will be 2 new movie adaptations of the Water Margin (AKA Outlaws of the Marsh or All Men are Brothers) which will be a big budget epics for next year.

Andrew Lau plans to make a Water Margin trilogy which will be in 3 parts where he will direct the first and Johnnie To to do the 2nd. I can't remember who will do the 3rd part. But possible casts include Andy Lau, Tony Leung Chiu-wai, Takeshi Kaneshiro, Eric Tsang, Anthony Wong, Shu Qi

On the other hand, Mandarin Films is also doing their own adaptation which be called '108', referring to the 108 outlaws in the story. This will be directed by Ronny Yu and only actor in talk to star in it is Donnie Yen.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Iron_Jinon

hmm..original water margin failed to deliver,there was far too many characters and subplots and not enough action...interesting to see how new versions will be but I do not keep my hopes high or fingers crossed.

Guest Milkyway
On the other hand, Mandarin Films is also doing their own adaptation which be called '108', referring to the 108 outlaws in the story. This will be directed by Ronny Yu and only actor in talk to star in it is Donnie Yen.

I think I've read about this future team-up somewhere. Mandarin Films is really on Donnie's ass when it comes to movie offers (think it's 3 or 4 projects)!:P nah, it's great that he finally getting more and more movies under his belt. I think he has 7-8 project in total right now.:eek:

the Andrew Lau/Johnnie To version sounds promising as well.

I dont know how good the old movie adaptation was but the TV adaptations and the 90s spin-off wire-fu versions which I've seen were pretty good. There's just too many characters in this classic Chinese literature so no wonder they want to do a trilogy. I'm not too sure about this '108' movie though because Ronny Yu said (I think it was him) it will be in the style of the '300' movie.... heavy CGI and even the movie title is inspired by it using 3 digit number.

As for the characters in Lau's version:

- Tony Leung will play Song Jiang

- Andy Lau will play Lin Zhong

- Takeshi Kaneshiro plays Wu Song

- Eric Tsang plays Wu Dalang

- Anthong Wong plays Li Kui

- Song Honglei plays Lu Zhishen

- Shu Qi plays Pan Jinlian

Archived