Five Elements!

Guest Sandpalm79

Guest Sandpalm79

Hey so i finally recieved mine and feel its time to give this one some praise! afterall the venoms movies came out we'd talk about the quality and discuss, but it seems no one talked about five elementys really, and this was the FIRST i think anyone ever saw this in widescreen. I think it looks AMAZING. if anything got better with celestial, it was the picture. compare this to 36th chamber or a 2002 relase from celestial. this is ultra crisp and remastored so sharp, i love it! also the movie is alot less silly with the original language.

Anyone ever feel like the earth scene and the elements scene were meant to look like indoor sets in this one? It really has a studio vibe in a cool video game level type of way!

This is probably my favorite chang cheh movie! at least top 3! ( in addition to masked avenger and crippled avengers)

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest mantis FIST

yeah great film. I also really enjoyed Masked Avengers, which I think is one of the least appreciated venoms films. Still have yet to see the IVL for either film.

Cheers!

yeah great film. I also really enjoyed Masked Avengers, which I think is one of the least appreciated venoms films. Still have yet to see the IVL for either film.

Cheers!

And I could never understand how, Masked Avengers has a great story and great action, a great film.

Guest oldeschool17

Anyone ever feel like the earth scene and the elements scene were meant to look like indoor sets in this one? It really has a studio vibe in a cool video game level type of way!

Not sure I get what you are saying. Alot of shaw bros films, especially chang cheh's movies were shot in the studio lots to give the impression they were outside. Im not sure why though. If I had to take a guess, maybe because they can control the environment and wirework better? or maybe it was too much of a pain in the ass or costly to do outside shots?

Guest Iron_Jinon

5 elements is massive:).before got my dvd,last time saw it decade ago with fullscreen and english dub.difference to subtitled perfect quality widescreen version is tremendous:D.

crippled avengers could have been classic but does not quite make it,somehow even as enjoy them in other venom movies I found acrobatics irrating in this one at times,endless somersaults,cartwheels etc...chen kuan tai is cool villain though:cool:

Guest Sandpalm79
Not sure I get what you are saying. Alot of shaw bros films, especially chang cheh's movies were shot in the studio lots to give the impression they were outside. Im not sure why though. If I had to take a guess, maybe because they can control the environment and wirework better? or maybe it was too much of a pain in the ass or costly to do outside shots?

What i mean is, that the sets at the 5 elementt scenes look more like indoor sets than any other shaw I can think of. I mean its just these small areas with the painted background so close. I know all of chang chehs movies were basically indoors, especially the venoms but thsi one seemed to almost not try to mask the fact it was indoors, giving it alomst like a play or theatrical feel. Maybe my point isnt fully clear but hope this helps esplain what i mean!

What i mean is, that the sets at the 5 elementt scenes look more like indoor sets than any other shaw I can think of. I mean its just these small areas with the painted background so close. I know all of chang chehs movies were basically indoors, especially the venoms but thsi one seemed to almost not try to mask the fact it was indoors, giving it alomst like a play or theatrical feel. Maybe my point isnt fully clear but hope this helps esplain what i mean!

It could be most of Shaws artistians had left by that time seeing the end of the rope for Shaws films, plus all these sets and costums had been reused over and over throughout the years (one of my favorite examples is in a Venoms film where the clan troops are wearing half a shirt). Not to mention Chang Cheh was getting old and wasn't paying as much to detail as he once did, of course imo it didn't make it any less entertaining.

Archived