The Young Avenger

KyFi

Just watched this, and it's definitely moved up to "hidded gem" category. This is a Shaw production that I would say flirts with rising above the Shaws studio system and getting into the King Hu/ Kurusawa range (although it doesn't quite make it there). Shih Szu has never looked more beautiful, and I would put her in the top 3 or 4 of Shaw's kung fu women---she's very fluid and athletic in her fight scenes, and she did a lot of long takes and exchanges in this one with no stunt doubles. Very impressive. It's a good story, with a villain (hunchback Fan Mei Sheng) vowing, after his defeat, to return to the village for revenge in 10 years, during which time Shih Szu is sent as a little girl to learn swordsmanship from one of her uncles, and Yueh Hua, as her cousin, learns the iron fan from another of their uncles. And as the villain and his gang do indeed return, even the non-martial villagers (like in Seven Samurai) use traps and cunning to help the heroes defeat the bandits. I thought this was a really beautifully filmed movie, and the fight choreography was great for '72. I would highly recommend this one.

I'm really going to track down all the stuff from this director, Yueh Feng, who also did Bells of Death. Vengeanceofhumanlanterns, I know you've praised Village of Tigers, another one of his, and that's next on my list.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Iron_Jinon

poison dragon sword technique:D..plot could not be much simplier but shih szu and ok fight scenes make sure watching this is not waste of time.

Guest vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Agreed. A very quaint and beautifully photographed film. I was a little disappointed Fan Mei-sheng's character wasn't given a little more respectability as one of or the main rival. He's one of my favorite Shaws actor's and in only a handful of films has he been given roles respectful or worthy of his performing abilities.

I think your really gonna like Village Of Tigers. It's one of the strongest Shaw remaster releases since 8/07

Also KyFi, if you haven't seen Black Butterfly, you are really missing out on a very well filmed treat. Tien Feng, Yueh Hua, Chiao Chiao, Ku Feng, Fan Mei-sheng, Chen Hung-lieh, and the director himself, Lo Wei as the main villian. An extremely well scripted storyline with very beautiful cinematography.

I finally ordered this film and should receive it within 7-10 days. Love Shih Szu. She has the most piercing eyes... What a cutie. :)

A great film, I have it and liked it. 7/10. Fan Mei Sheng plays one of the best bad guys imo. Shih Szu as usual is spectacular and is one of my top 5 Shaw swordswomen.

Even better film though is Lady of the Law!

Which swordplay flick is Shih Sze's best?

I was trying to recommend a friend her signature movie and I could not think of any. Every one of her movies is flawed in some way. I think she was most impressive in The Lady Hermit but that's Cheng Pei-pei's movie.

Just watched this, and it's definitely moved up to "hidded gem" category.... I thought this was a really beautifully filmed movie, and the fight choreography was great for '72. I would highly recommend this one.

Co-sign on that. Just finished watching this one and was quite impressed.

Shih Szu's character reminded me of Lady Snowblood.

Brooding, beautiful and bloodthirsty.

Have to give it up for the excellent work by the late Griffin Yueh Feng.

Shots were well composed and camera work quite fluid.

Aside from some undercranking (and Yueh Hua's first fight sequence) this was a solid production and one worth revisiting.

Check it out if you haven't.

...speaking of Village Of Tigers, was this one of his better wuxia/KF films?

Any other recommendation?

My 3 current favorite Shi Szu movies are:

Lady Hermit

Black Tavern

Heroes of Sung

So far haven't seen any film that was mediocre with her in it.

I looked up Shih Szu's credits on IMDB and I've seen 21 of the 42 films listed. The problem with compiling a list of her best roles or best films is that too often she was relegated to a supporting role, often in very good films (AVENGING EAGLE, SHAOLIN TEMPLE, FLYING GUILLOTINE 2, etc.), but sometimes in mediocre films (PURSUIT OF VENGEANCE). The few films with her in a leading role ranged from superb (LADY HERMIT) to poor (LADY OF THE LAW). I don't remember thinking much of THE YOUNG AVENGER.

If I had to pick the best showcases for Shih Szu's talents, leading roles or not, I'd say LADY HERMIT, THE RESCUE, THUNDERBOLT FIST, TRILOGY OF SWORDSMANSHIP (first chapter), and DEADLY BREAKING SWORD. This latter film, which stars Ti Lung and Fu Sheng, offers Shih Szu in a non-fighting role, as a beautiful, manipulative courtesan, which is quite a change of pace for her and she wears it well.

To be honest I did not like it so much. Beginning and last 15 minutes were good but it dragged between them. How on earth men thought she(shih zhu) was male:squigglemouth:

She even had no reason to hide her identity :tongue:

I agree. The film feels like its missing a second act, jumping far too quickly from the flashback to the final showdown. Hell, the thing I like most about Yueh Feng's wuxias are their mournful quality - he more or less hated the genre for its violence, and its shows - but even that doesn't show up until literally the last few seconds.

Village of Tigers and Taste of Cold Steel are better, but neither fulfills the brilliance shown in Bells of Death.

Archived