Best training sequences...

The Dragon

...in an Old School Kung Fu movie...

What's your favorite training sequence for an old school flick? Mine happens to be Gordon Liu in The 36th Chamber of Shaolin. The film happens to be 3pts. training, and the viewer has concern for the character as San Te works his way through the trials...

Another of mine is 18 Bronzemen. Carter Wong and Tien Peng really get their arses handed to them in the Bronzemen Chambers... :)

Guest Morgoth

Dammit Dragon, i wanted to list 36th Chamber. :mad: My other favorites are-

Ninja death part 1

Unbeaten 28

Snake deadly Act (lobster style)

Rocky 4

Kung Fu Zombie

Invincible Shaolin

Shaolin Martial Arts

Mad Monkey Kung Fu

Crippled Avengers

Those are all I can think of right now.

Guest Endsang

Hehe, just thought about making a thread like this. Let's see what isn't mentioned yet..

- 8 Diagram Pole Fighter, not that much training, but the final "test" is breathtaking

- 5 Shaolin Masters, Chi Kuan Chun, Chi Kuan Chun, Chi Kuan Chun.

- Shaolin Temple (1976), mainly for Ti Lung's wing chun form. Bruce Tong's training was also interesting.

- Drunken Master, Yuen Siu Tien-masochism and Jackie Chan-whimpering.

- Dance of the Drunk Mantis; Catch the bean curd!

Suppose I also have to mention laundry fu in Dreadnaught, and Gordon Liu trying to learn drunken boxing in Heroes of the East.

All time favorites have to be Mad Monkey Kung Fu and Knockabout as mentioned.

Master Killer has to be the top. The entire movie is basically all training and it's wonderfully done!

Mad Monkey Kung Fu is definitely up there as well. My favorites also include:

Snake in the Eagles Shadow

Fearless Hyena

Showdown of Master Warriors

Crystal Fists

Drunken Monkey in a Tiger's Eye

Guest TheManInWhite

"Master Killer has to be the top. The entire movie is basically all training and it's wonderfully done!"

Agreed! I also favor Chi Kuan Chun in Shaolin Temple. His display of the 5 animal styles always blows me away.

He, he, now this is fun... Hey guys, what about Marco Polo?

Remember the different styles the four guys had to learn? That one guy i forget his name had to carry those rocks, no boulders:rolleyes:, around from one area to the other, for his sifu... Man, that was brutal!!

This is going to get me boiled with hot lava, but I liked the training sequence in Spiritual Kung Fu..the teachers looked like the predecessors from the Killer Klowns from Outer Space, but Jackie practicing the Five Animal Fists (Dragon, Snake, Tiger, Crane, Leopard) was quite nice.

I also liked the training scenes in the American B-Movie College Kickboxers, also known as Trained to Fight. Tang Tak-Wing (who would work on the stunt team of Drunken Master II) had Ken McLeod stand in a sandpit with a board in it on the beach to show him how to jump without the use of his knees. He also did the slap hands game with him at the restaurant they work at to show him how not to look at the shoulders but at the eyes of his opponents. Tang also showed him a way to strengthen his waist to gain more power in his kicks. And Tang even made Ken walk on ice barefoot to move fluidly like Tai Chi.

Guest moviegyrl

Wow! Let me see...

- Wang Tao in DEATH DUEL OF KUNG FU

- Wang Tao & Tan Tao-Liang in CHALLENGE OF DEATH; I thought their dialogue added much to the training sequence

- Hsia Kwan Li in WOMAN AVENGER

- John Liu in INVINCIBLE ARMOR

- Hwang Jang Lee in INVINCIBLE ARMOR :cool:

- Jackie in DRUNKEN MASTER 1

- Van Damme in KICKBOXER

That's all for now!

Guest kungfood

I have to agree with anytime Chi Kuan-Chun displayed his Hung Gar forms...he's in several of my favorite films.

Shaolin Martial Arts

Men From the Monastery

Five Shaolin Masters

Shaolin Temple (Chang Cheh version)

Shaolin Avengers

others, in no particular order:

Magnificent Butcher

Knockabout

Superpower

Death-Duel of Kung Fu (John Liu stretching and kicking the eggs)

Mar's Villa

Crippled Avengers

Invincible Shaolin

New Shaolin Boxers

The Kid from Kwangtung (Ren Shi-Guan teaching Wang Yu his chin-na).

36th Chamber of Shaolin

Challenge of the Masters

Hell's Windstaff

Fighting Ace (John Liu and Kwon Young-Moon practicing kicks).

7 Grand Masters

The Lady Avenger (Hsia Kuang-Li learning her flexibility/kicking style).

Warriors Two

Prodigal Son

Too many great ones...

Guest CrazyFrog

Mad Monkey Kung Fu- wow. Hsaio and Lau did it best with this brutal training sequence. Just imagining what that does to your hands...

Legend of a Fighter- really good movie but had special resonance with the inevitable showdown between Kurata and Kar Yan. And the training sequence is the one with Kurata training himself before the fight. Crazy!

Knockabout- Yuen Baio and the rope. Great stuff.

5 Element Boxer

I really liked the training scenes in the following movies.

Shaolin Martial Arts

36th Chamber of Shaolin

Warriors Two

Shaolin & Wu Tang

Mad Monkey Kung Fu

Challenge of the Masters

Prodigal Son

Mystery of Chess Boxing

Kill Bill Volume 2

It wasn't a training sequence, however, the scene where Bruce and Chuck "warm up" before their big showdown in WOTD is about as energy charged as any training sequence on film. The build-up reminds one of two boxers getting lathered up in their dressing rooms before they come out swinging.

:cool:

Chinatown Kid
It wasn't a training sequence, however, the scene where Bruce and Chuck "warm up" before their big showdown in WOTD is about as energy charged as any training sequence on film. The build-up reminds one of two boxers getting lathered up in their dressing rooms before they come out swinging.

:cool:

Yeah man, that was a great way to hype up the anticipation for the upcoming fight they had.

Another film I liked the training scenes in was Crystal Fist aka Jade Claw and also Super Power, both starring Billy Chong.

The Dragon

JC in Drunken Master is one of the best actually performed training sequences. Try filling those barrels upside down with those little cups, in sit-up form...

:D

Meng Hoi -The Buddha Assassinator

Cassanova Wong & Liang Jia Ren - Warriors Two

Cliff Lok - Duel of The Seven Tigers

Lee Yin Min - Invincible Shaolin Kung Fu & The Mystery of Chess Boxing

BA, ISKF, & DOTST Surprisingly no one mentioned these old favs.:angel: